Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

1 hour ago, Donward said:

Having read the Anonymous Op-Ed three times now, here are the takeaways.

It’s 27 paragraphs long. 

Most of those paragraphs are just filler.

Of the substantive complaints, they consist of the writer disagreeing with Trump over... free trade.

(Well too fucking bad. Trump ran on eliminating NAFTA and putting tariffs on China. American voters agreed.)

The writer is bent out of shape that the US is engaging in diplomacy with Russia and North Korea. (Because let’s start another war)

He white-knights for the press, because the First Amendment means you don’t have the freedom of speech to criticize CNN or the New York Times. And because no President in history has ever complained about the Press (like Adams, Jefferson, Jackson, Polk, Lincoln, etc).

He doesn’t like the cut of the President’s gib, even the past Presidents have done worse.

He bloviates about the 25th Amendment even though the President is not incapacitated.

And mew hew hew, John McCain.

What a load of crap.

I'll go you one better, straight up Democrat fanfiction, made up by an NYT editor who likes the smell of their own farts.

Well, the Woodward/NYT Anonymous coward fan-fic has kicked the Kavanaugh witch hunt and scream fest off the front pages, which must mean the Democrats and Media have come to terms with him getting confirmed to the Supreme Court and they’re trying to change the narrative before more embarrassing videos of Handmaid’s Tale cosplayers and dudes in pink condom costumes make the news.

30 minutes ago, Donward said:

Well, the Woodward/NYT Anonymous coward fan-fic has kicked the Kavanaugh witch hunt and scream fest off the front pages, which must mean the Democrats and Media have come to terms with him getting confirmed to the Supreme Court and they’re trying to change the narrative before more embarrassing videos of Handmaid’s Tale cosplayers and dudes in pink condom costumes make the news.

I'm honestly surprised at the apparent lack of strategy going into the Kavanaugh nomination hearings.  It's not like they've had several months to figure something out...

I just noticed something, Trump’s presidency is similar to Grant’s presidency: 

Both are republican. 

Both had very little political experience before running for office. 

Both had very narrow wins during their first terms. 

Both were embroiled in scandals that were mostly hot air. 

Both were elected after a previously ineffective president (unfortunately, Obama served 2 terms). 

Both believe in nepotism :P 

and I predict (using pure Columbian cocaine, and Grant as a guide): 

Trump will have exceptional foreign policy successes later in this term. 

Trump will be re-elected by a very large margin (bonus points if his rival dies within months of Trump being re-elected, x10 if it’s Hillary). 

Trump will push for more peace (rather than the typical warmongering) all over the world. 

Corruption and abuse will plague Trump’s cabinet, but Trump will be innocent on all accounts. 

Trump will get his face on a dollar bill (maybe the 100, cause it’s yuuuge) :D

The fact that a senior white house official feels compelled to write an anonymous op ed is pretty startling.  Frankly, I think it's a bit cowardly to hide behind the "anonymous" label.  If they think Trump is really that much of a danger, then resign and state it publically.  That said, I don't doubt that Trump is "not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making."  

Also, comparing him to Grant is just wrong and an insult to Grant.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Rosenstein is allegedly under investigation for the Carter Page FISA warrant and is barred from the FISA process.

Hardly.  According to the Chicago Tribune "63 percent of Americans support Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, with 52 percent saying they support it strongly; 29 percent oppose the probe."  More people support the Mueller probe than support Trump at this point.

27 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Hardly.  According to the Chicago Tribune "63 percent of Americans support Mueller's investigation of Russian interference in the 2016 election, with 52 percent saying they support it strongly; 29 percent oppose the probe."  More people support the Mueller probe than support Trump at this point.

The ABC News poll? It's rubbish.

6 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Was this meant to be a reply to Jeeps?

7 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The fact that a senior white house official feels compelled to write an anonymous op ed is pretty startling.  Frankly, I think it's a bit cowardly to hide behind the "anonymous" label.  If they think Trump is really that much of a danger, then resign and state it publically.  That said, I don't doubt that Trump is "not moored to any discernible first principles that guide his decision making."  

Also, comparing him to Grant is just wrong and an insult to Grant.

I suspect that it is not real, if for no other reason than it being a public admittance of sedition.

5 hours ago, Donward said:

I love polling that wildly exaggerates one particular political party/viewpoint and then pretends like it is reflective of America as a whole.

It's almost like the poll is meant to influence public opinion rather than reflect it...

If we went off of polls, Hillary Clinton would be president.

Anyhow, it seems pretty obvious to me that this anonymous op-ed is an attempt from within Trump's own administration to prepare the ground for implementation of removing him under amendment 25, section 4.  It is not an accident this was timed with the release of the Woodward book.  Plenty of people were willing to talk to Woodward, he didn't make this shit up.  This administration has been the leakiest ever seen.  You can't blame this on Democrats or "deep state" for that.  These are the people Trump picked himself.  And they all seem to hate working for him.  Whether or not they collectively have the guts to do something about it other than whine anonymously remains to be seen.    

It’s been painfully obvious that the President’s enemies have been aiming for a 25th Amendment solution ever since he took the Oath of Office. It’s another lame attempt to close their eyes and wish Trump away. And it just shows how divorced from reality the Left and the #NeverTrump RINOs are.

It also causes me to question whether they have actually ever even bothered to read the Constitution and its Amendments. Or if they have, they don’t actually care about its meaning and want to simply use it as cover for whatever they want it to mean at the moment.

Here’s the text.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The key point is Section 4 of the Amendment where the Vice President AND the majority of the President’s principal Cabinet (or a group appointed by Congress) have to declare that the President can’t discharge his duties. Whereupon the Vice President becomes ACTING President.

But wait!

If such an event did occur, the President can then write to Congress attesting he was now fit again to hold office.

At that point, the Vice President, the Cabinet, and Congress have to go through the process one more time to remove the President from office.

And all of that is a pipe dream since the point of the 25th Amendment is about a President being incapacitated like when Reagan was shot or to prevent a scenario like when Woodrow Wilson had a stroke.

The 25th Amendment was not meant to cover some disagreement over Trump’s position on NAFTA or that some mid-level staffer got triggered over a Tweet.