Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

23 hours ago, Donward said:

It’s been painfully obvious that the President’s enemies have been aiming for a 25th Amendment solution ever since he took the Oath of Office. It’s another lame attempt to close their eyes and wish Trump away. And it just shows how divorced from reality the Left and the #NeverTrump RINOs are.

It also causes me to question whether they have actually ever even bothered to read the Constitution and its Amendments. Or if they have, they don’t actually care about its meaning and want to simply use it as cover for whatever they want it to mean at the moment.

Here’s the text.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Twenty-fifth_Amendment_to_the_United_States_Constitution

The key point is Section 4 of the Amendment where the Vice President AND the majority of the President’s principal Cabinet (or a group appointed by Congress) have to declare that the President can’t discharge his duties. Whereupon the Vice President becomes ACTING President.

But wait!

If such an event did occur, the President can then write to Congress attesting he was now fit again to hold office.

At that point, the Vice President, the Cabinet, and Congress have to go through the process one more time to remove the President from office.

And all of that is a pipe dream since the point of the 25th Amendment is about a President being incapacitated like when Reagan was shot or to prevent a scenario like when Woodrow Wilson had a stroke.

The 25th Amendment was not meant to cover some disagreement over Trump’s position on NAFTA or that some mid-level staffer got triggered over a Tweet.

It's kind of ironic because it's actually harder to remove a sitting president by 25th Amendment than to impeach him since you need 2/3 of both houses rather than 1/2 of HoR and 2/3 of senate.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

Monkey's paw.

My favorite bit is probably this:

The Weekly Standard has a history of placing right-wing ideology before accurate reporting. Among other things, it labeled the Iraq War “A War to Be Proud Of” in 2005, and it ran an article in 2017 labeling climate science “Dadaist Science,” and promoted that article with the phrase “look under the hood on climate change ‘science’ and what you see isn’t pretty.”

I'm sorry, the Iraq War was one with record low casualties/year, which became a peacekeeping/counter-insurgency campaign that was orders of magnitude more competently managed and successful than the last major insurgency (the Vietnam War) the US Armed Forces conducted. How is that not something to be proud of? Oh, right, because rarrrr Bush. I forgot.

And of course, we don't want anyone looking too closely at climate science and the alternative energy industry. That's denialist hatethink!

So you likey anonymous sources?

Check this shit out.

https://www.politico.com/story/2018/09/11/rob-porter-bob-woodward-fear-815345

Sources familiar with Trump's thinking have told POLITICO that he's livid at Cohn and Porter, believing they leaked to Woodward, even though Trump has publicly slammed the book as a work of "fiction."

Who do you have to Deep Throat in order to become an anonymous source who is "familiar with Trump's thinking". 

What does that even mean?

Who are we talking about? His shrink? His caddie? It sure ain't his bartender because Trump doesn't drink.

I've been a journalist and I don't know how any reporter could physically type that paragraph out and not die from embarrassment. Let's see who the author of that piece is.

Well I guess you have to Deep Throat this little shit.

https://www.politico.com/staff/quint-forgey

Who the fuck has Quint Forgey as a name. It's like someone cobbled together a couple characters from one of Charles Dickens lesser known novels and thought it would be a good name for a Star Wars bounty hunter.

Oh wait. Quint isn't a reporter at all. He's a fucking "web producer". With a face like that, I hope his co-workers don't describe him as a loner who's quiet and keeps mostly to himself. 

forgey-quint.jpg

That's the face of America's news media. 

FFS.

12 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

It must be easy to be a reporter: you get paid for being retarded, and people listen to your retarded ramblings... 

The problem is that there isn't a lot of actual investigative journalists left. There are 'web managers' like the dufus mentioned above who pull tweets and bits and bites off social media, and that is what is called reporting these days.  Media concentration and lack of actual investigative journalism is much of what is wrong with the media these days. Nobody can be bothered with who, what, where, why and when anymore.  Just grab a quote from someones social media and manufacture outrage to get clicks.

8 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

News media is largely trash today. It consists almost entirely of sitting on twitter and trying to jump on trending fast enough.

Again, as I said above, it's kinda hard to report news when you don't have any fuckin' reporters working for you. Just your web team 3 cities away, and 3 guys in the office posting local interest stuff, instead of having people out on the street looking into stuff. A tweet is not fucking news.