Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

3 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Actually, I was using the numbers from Gallup, who tend to post numbers more in favor of Trump than most of the other polls.  ABC is reporting a 60% dissapproval rating.

It's pretty foolish to trust virtually any poll this close to an election, and even if that does reflect how the country feels (which I doubt) it doesn't logically follow that Woodward's book is an accurate or true account just because a lot of Americans are motivated to read it.

You could argue the polls indicate that Trump won't win re-election in 2020, I guess, but based on their past performance I think we'll just have to wait and see.

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

How many of those 750k preorders do you think are booksellers gambling on the media's heavy promotion of the book?

Anyhow, I am about one-fifth of the way through the Woodward book.  It reads pretty quickly.  So far, it seems to ring pretty true.  Not all of it is negative and I wouldn't call it a diatribe.  It's certainly critical, but there are bits that I thing some of you might find interesting.  Consider this excerpt:

Spoiler

Early one morning in February, a team of senior intelligence officials came to Priebus’s West Wing office to brief him on how to be alert to those who might seek to influence him improperly. It is a standard warning for those with the highest security clearances.

“Before we leave,” said Deputy FBI director Andrew McCabe, raising his hand, “I need five minutes with you alone in your office.”

What the hell is this? thought Priebus. He only recalled McCabe because he had met him several weeks earlier in the Situation Room.

Trump had raised hell about McCabe’s wife, Jill, a Democrat, during the campaign. She had received $675,288 for an unsuccessful 2015 campaign for the Virginia Senate from Governor Terry McAuliffe’s political action committee and the Virginia Democratic Party. McAuliffe was one of Bill and Hillary Clinton’s closest personal and political friends. He had been the top fundraiser for Bill Clinton’s reelection in 1996.

Trump had described the money as donations from Hillary. He had not let go of the issue, talking and tweeting about it later.

After the security briefing and everyone cleared out, McCabe shut the door to Priebus’s office. This is very weird, thought Priebus, who was standing by his desk.

“You know this story in The New York Times?” Priebus knew it all too well. McCabe was referring to a recent Times story of February 14 that stated, “Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the elections, according to four current and former American officials.”

The story was one of the first bombs to go off about alleged Trump-Russian connections after Flynn’s resignation.

“It’s total bullshit,” McCabe said. “It’s not true, and we want you to know that. It’s grossly overstated.”

Oh my God, thought Priebus.

“Andrew,” he said to the FBI deputy, “I’m getting killed.”

The story about Russia and election meddling seemed to be running 24/7 on cable news, driving Trump bananas and therefore driving Priebus bananas.
“This is crazy,” Trump had told Priebus. “We’ve got to stop it. We need to end the story.”
McCabe had just walked in with a big gift, a Valentine’s Day present. I’m going to be the hero of this entire West Wing, Priebus thought.
“Can you help me?” Priebus asked. “Could this knockdown of the story be made public?”
“Call me in a couple of hours,” McCabe said. “I will ask around and I’ll let you know. I’ll see what I can do.”
Priebus practically ran to report to Trump the good news that the FBI would soon be shooting down the Times story.
Two hours passed and no call from McCabe. Priebus called him.
“I’m sorry, I can’t,” McCabe said. “There’s nothing I can do about it. I tried, but if we start issuing comments on individual stories, we’ll be doing statements every three days.” The FBI could not become a clearinghouse for the accuracy of news stories. If the FBI tried to debunk certain stories, a failure to comment could be seen as a confirmation.
“Andrew, you’re the one that came to my office to tell me this is a BS story, and now you’re telling me there’s nothing you can do?”
McCabe said that was his position.
“This is insanity,” Priebus said. “What am I supposed to do? Just suffer, bleed out?”
“Give me a couple more hours.”
Nothing happened. No call from the FBI. Priebus tried to explain to Trump, who was waiting for a recanting. It was another reason for Trump to distrust and hate the FBI, a pernicious tease that left them dangling.
About a week later on February 24 CNN reported an exclusive: “FBI Refused White House Request to Knock Down Recent Trump-Russia Story.” Priebus was cast as trying to manipulate the FBI for political purposes.
The White House tried and failed to correct the story and show that McCabe had initiated the matter.
Four months later on June 8, Comey testified under oath publicly that the original New York Times story on the Trump campaign aides’ contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials “in the main was not true.”

Damnit, should have looked harder Ramlaen Loosered me... lol

looks like the Meuler probe and collusion narrative are in trouble, Trump just declassified all the docs the Justice and the FBI have been hiding. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/17/trump-orders-feds-to-declassify-key-fisa-documents-text-messages-in-fbi-russia-probe.html

8 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Early one morning in February, a team of senior intelligence officials came to Priebus’s West Wing office to brief him on how to be alert to those who might seek to influence him improperly. It is a standard warning for those with the highest security clearances.

“Before we leave,” said Deputy FBI director Andrew McCabe, raising his hand, “I need five minutes with you alone in your office.”

What the hell is this? thought Priebus. He only recalled McCabe because he had met him several weeks earlier in the Situation Room.

Trump had raised hell about McCabe’s wife, Jill, a Democrat, during the campaign. She had received $675,288 for an unsuccessful 2015 campaign for the Virginia Senate from Governor Terry McAuliffe’s political action committee and the Virginia Democratic Party. McAuliffe was one of Bill and Hillary Clinton’s closest personal and political friends. He had been the top fundraiser for Bill Clinton’s reelection in 1996.

Trump had described the money as donations from Hillary. He had not let go of the issue, talking and tweeting about it later.

After the security briefing and everyone cleared out, McCabe shut the door to Priebus’s office. This is very weird, thought Priebus, who was standing by his desk.

“You know this story in The New York Times?” Priebus knew it all too well. McCabe was referring to a recent Times story of February 14 that stated, “Phone records and intercepted calls show that members of Donald J. Trump’s 2016 presidential campaign and other Trump associates had repeated contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials in the year before the elections, according to four current and former American officials.”

The story was one of the first bombs to go off about alleged Trump-Russian connections after Flynn’s resignation.

“It’s total bullshit,” McCabe said. “It’s not true, and we want you to know that. It’s grossly overstated.”

Oh my God, thought Priebus.

“Andrew,” he said to the FBI deputy, “I’m getting killed.”

The story about Russia and election meddling seemed to be running 24/7 on cable news, driving Trump bananas and therefore driving Priebus bananas.
“This is crazy,” Trump had told Priebus. “We’ve got to stop it. We need to end the story.”
McCabe had just walked in with a big gift, a Valentine’s Day present. I’m going to be the hero of this entire West Wing, Priebus thought.
“Can you help me?” Priebus asked. “Could this knockdown of the story be made public?”
“Call me in a couple of hours,” McCabe said. “I will ask around and I’ll let you know. I’ll see what I can do.”
Priebus practically ran to report to Trump the good news that the FBI would soon be shooting down the Times story.
Two hours passed and no call from McCabe. Priebus called him.
“I’m sorry, I can’t,” McCabe said. “There’s nothing I can do about it. I tried, but if we start issuing comments on individual stories, we’ll be doing statements every three days.” The FBI could not become a clearinghouse for the accuracy of news stories. If the FBI tried to debunk certain stories, a failure to comment could be seen as a confirmation.
“Andrew, you’re the one that came to my office to tell me this is a BS story, and now you’re telling me there’s nothing you can do?”
McCabe said that was his position.
“This is insanity,” Priebus said. “What am I supposed to do? Just suffer, bleed out?”
“Give me a couple more hours.”
Nothing happened. No call from the FBI. Priebus tried to explain to Trump, who was waiting for a recanting. It was another reason for Trump to distrust and hate the FBI, a pernicious tease that left them dangling.
About a week later on February 24 CNN reported an exclusive: “FBI Refused White House Request to Knock Down Recent Trump-Russia Story.” Priebus was cast as trying to manipulate the FBI for political purposes.
The White House tried and failed to correct the story and show that McCabe had initiated the matter.
Four months later on June 8, Comey testified under oath publicly that the original New York Times story on the Trump campaign aides’ contacts with senior Russian intelligence officials “in the main was not true.”

Thi... This strikes you as true, @Walter_Sobchak? This is the most poorly written and narratively lazy shit I've ever read. Look at how it skips time, jumps around, and generally doesn't present a scene so much as an easily quoted excerpt. It may or may not be true, but it's dogshit reading and it makes me think it's likely more "Trump fiction" than reality.

6 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Damnit, should have looked harder Ramlaen Loosered me... lol

looks like the Meuler probe and collusion narrative are in trouble, Trump just declassified all the docs the Justice and the FBI have been hiding. 

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2018/09/17/trump-orders-feds-to-declassify-key-fisa-documents-text-messages-in-fbi-russia-probe.html

LOL

>House Intelligence Committee ranking member Adam Schiff, D-Calif., called Trump's decision "a clear abuse of power."

9 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Trump's approval rating among African-Americans is up to 36%, according to Rassmussen poll.

The NAACP poll from August puts it at 21% - which still seems really high for a Republican.

Turns out that Texas District 19 with the upset R win is a hispanic majority.

https://censusreporter.org/profiles/61000US48019-state-senate-district-19-tx/

1 hour ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Yeah but you really can't trust any polls. 

Figures lie, and liars figure.

Polls are absurdly easy to manipulate, and regardless of position, are not worth consideration.

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

I have mentioned in the past that naturalized Mexicans are absurdly conservative.

Usually the first thing they do, is build a wall on their border.

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

What do you mean, Mexicans won't rally behind this man?

orourkebeto_010317gn.jpg?itok=cS3-TEaP

He's part of the super wealthy Irish population in El Paso, Texas. And both light skinned AND dark skinned Mexicans can't stand those people.

Source: I dated an irish girl from el paso for four years.

8 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I only vote for winners.

Also the endlessly hilarious factoid is that my state senate district had been blue for 139 years. Oops.

5 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

What do you mean, Mexicans won't rally behind this man?

orourkebeto_010317gn.jpg?itok=cS3-TEaP

He's part of the super wealthy Irish population in El Paso, Texas. And both light skinned AND dark skinned Mexicans can't stand those people.

Source: I dated an irish girl from el paso for four years.

For a good long time one of my neighbors had their wifi network named "Beto". I was utterly confused by that for months, that is until I started getting the campaign ads. My god the campaign ads. I could build a house of all the poster paper.