Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

http://www.washingtonexaminer.com/perez-doesnt-rule-out-a-hillary-clinton-run-for-the-presidency-in-2020/article/2615807?custom_click=rss

If I were DNC Chair, any party member who mentioned Hillary running again and didn't immediately start laughing would be publicly broken on the rack, as an example to the others. Only comparably bad candidates in the party would be Reid, Pelosi, or *shudder* Dianne Feinstein.

4 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Probably the most satisfying thing for me this past year has been watching the people "lose their faith in democracy" because folks voted against them and they lost.

Lose their faith in democracy or in America's EC sorta democratic system? I know this doesn't matter as they would be doing the same thing anyway. 

Regardless, crying like a sack of toddlers doesn't make anyone respect whatever agenda you have. 

7 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Lose their faith in democracy or in America's EC sorta democratic system? I know this doesn't matter as they would be doing the same thing anyway. 

Regardless, crying like a sack of toddlers doesn't make anyone respect whatever agenda you have. 

In the case of Brexit, that was some pretty direct democracy there.

43 minutes ago, Priory_of_Sion said:

Didn't see the .co.uk so I assumed it was American, Brits can cry all they want. 

I don't get bitching about the Electoral College. Direct democracy is an abstract decision making system*, so is the EC. So what's there to bitch about? Oh, right, the people who are bitching lost so they feel like their little hunk of delicious power has been taken away from them.

*If you don't believe that direct democracy is an abstract decision making system, please tell me why stupid people are allowed to vote. Fairness? Human rights? Do either of those answers make any sense? Because I don't think they do.

13 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I don't get bitching about the Electoral College. Direct democracy is an abstract decision making system*, so is the EC. So what's there to bitch about? Oh, right, the people who are bitching lost so they feel like their little hunk of delicious power has been taken away from them.

*If you don't believe that direct democracy is an abstract decision making system, please tell me why stupid people are allowed to vote. Fairness? Human rights? Do either of those answers make any sense? Because I don't think they do.

What would be a non-abstract decision making system? 

I personally don't really care much for democracy in general, but I can sympathize with those who want a direct/proportional democracy for whatever reason, but don't live in a state that has a direct/proportional democracy. 

Just now, Priory_of_Sion said:

What would be a non-abstract decision making system? 

I personally don't really care much for democracy in general, but I can sympathize with those who want a direct/proportional democracy for whatever reason, but don't live in a state that has a direct/proportional democracy. 

If you're not a moral absolutist, then nothing. You just have good (utilitarian) and bad (non-functional) systems.

If you're a moral absolutist, then it depends what your morals are. You of course have people who see voting as a human right, but fuck those people.

Just now, Sturgeon said:

If you're not a moral absolutist, then nothing. You just have good (utilitarian) and bad (non-functional) systems.

If you're a moral absolutist, then it depends what your morals are. You of course have people who see voting as a human right, but fuck those people.

You got anything I can read on this because I don't get it. 

We've already established that the President has shit-taste in food when he orders his steak cooked well done. It has now been reported that he eats his steak with ketchup.

The only thing more amusing is how foodies are flipping out about it.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/lifestyle/food/trumps-first-dc-dinner-as-president-an-overcooked-54-steak-with-ketchup/2017/02/27/c98895b4-fd19-11e6-8f41-ea6ed597e4ca_story.html?utm_term=.05a29c2526c1

17 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Because the definition of 'stupid' means, in practice, 'whoever I think is the enemy'.

A lot of good political ideas have this day 0/who will implement them problem. Best to let the dumbdumbs vote if that's your only proxy for 'good political decision maker'.