Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

2 minutes ago, T___A said:

That is fake news.

Seems like you're relying on alternative facts.

4 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The best breakfast condiment is sausage gravy.  It makes everything better.

How I determine if a breakfast place is worth a tinker's damn is the quality of its chicken fried steak.

10 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Of course, if we were to follow scripture, we would not have pork sausage on our pizza either.  Also, what about mixing dairy and meat?  That sure ain't cool according to the old testament.  

Small Asian child, please present the pressing theological question of our time...

whothfuckisjesuslaopiawefjlasdlkj_465_62

Fine, but the New Testament is very clear too:

So God let them go ahead and do whatever shameful things their hearts desired.  As a result, they did vile and degrading things with pizza.  Instead of believing what they knew was the truth about pizza, they deliberately chose to believe lies. That is why God abandoned them to their shameful desires.  Even the women turned against the natural way to eat pizza and instead indulged in pizza with pineapple.  And the men, instead of having normal pizza, burned with lust for pineapple.  Men did shameful things with pizza and, as a result, suffered within themselves the penalty they so richly deserved.  When they refused to acknowledge God's culinary rules, he abandoned them to their evil minds and let them do things that should never be done.  Their lives became full of every kind of wickedness, sin, greed, hate, envy, murder, fighting, deception, malicious behavior, and pineapple pizza.  They are backstabbers, haters of God, insolent, proud, and boastful.  They are forever inventing new ways of fucking up pizza and are disobedient to their parents.  They refuse to understand, break their promises, and are heartless and unforgiving.  They are fully aware of God’s death penalty for those who do these things, yet they go right ahead and do them anyway.  And, worse yet, they encourage others to do them, too. (Roman's Pizza 1:24-32 NLT)

So at least one of the bomb threats against Jewish community centers was allegedly made by a black, liberal, former journalist who was fired for making up stories out of whole cloth, and was stalking his former Jewish girlfriend.

http://www.dailywire.com/news/14067/6-things-you-need-know-about-jcc-bomb-threatener-james-barrett

Oh. He also voted for Bernie Sanders and hates Donald Trump.

5 hours ago, T___A said:

yeah, like AOL being, as lame as it is, far more secure, than Hillary's no security Server in her  basement.   Pence also wasn't the Sec state at the time for Christ sake.   It just more stupid BS from the Dems and their media chihuahuas, that no reasonable person will be swayed by, but will cost them what little credibility they have left. 

Meanwhile, Trump continues forward at an astonishing pace.  The RFP for the wall has been out for a week!

Again, I am unsure if Trump is deliberately courting media controversy over unimportant nonsense as a way of deflecting criticism from his more substantial actions, or whether the media is just trained to do that on their own now.

9 hours ago, T___A said:

It's illegal in Indiana for a government official to use her or his official account for political business.

Wait....so what the hell is it for?

14 minutes ago, Legiondude said:

None of the SH spambots are registered with an Indiana.gov email account I hope.

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Meanwhile, Trump continues forward at an astonishing pace.  The RFP for the wall has been out for a week!

Again, I am unsure if Trump is deliberately courting media controversy over unimportant nonsense as a way of deflecting criticism from his more substantial actions, or whether the media is just trained to do that on their own now.

I don't know. 

I'm too busy watching the morons feign outrage over the fact that President Trump was given and wore a "bomber" jacket while delivering a speech aboard the USS Ford.

http://ijr.com/2017/03/816175-trump-is-being-called-a-disgrace/

You know, like almost every other President in the past 70 years.

24 minutes ago, Donward said:

None of the SH spambots are registered with an Indiana.gov email account I hope.

I don't know. 

I'm too busy watching the morons feign outrage over the fact that President Trump was given and wore a "bomber" jacket while delivering a speech aboard the USS Ford.

http://ijr.com/2017/03/816175-trump-is-being-called-a-disgrace/

You know, like almost every other President in the past 70 years.

I saw that too, and you know the crew probably presented all that to the president, I doubt he asked, presidential swag is the shiznit.

3 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

Both. Trump isn't as stupid as people want to believe and he'd have to be a drooling chromosomal nightmare to not realize how effective just riffing during a speech is for distracting a media whose main purpose is to bring in those sweet sweet ad dollars.

19 hours ago, Legiondude said:

Official administrative business I would assume. Political business usually refers to trying to pass bills which involves contacting other politicians, different governmental and non-governmental organizations, lobbyists, etc.

Since this is our random politics dump thread, I figured I'd throw this in here.

I've been very interested in what Dilbertman has to say lately, but I think he's off the mark here. In fact, he's so off the mark that he makes me voice my latent concern that he's deliberately trying to convince people to be climate skeptics. (Which, I should note, is not something I'm against, but which runs counter to what he claims to be trying to do. More on that in a bit.)

Tucker Carlson's game looks like this: Attack in whatever way he can, no matter how nonsensical, with the deliberate and calculated aim of getting his guest to flip out or otherwise discredit themselves. And if they don't, just say you've run out of time. That's his game, and as someone who argues like an intermediate level competitive chess player moves Queen to Bishop 6, I respect it for what it is.

So I don't think Tucker induced cognitive dissonance in Bill Nye. I think Bill Nye got MAD. I would, too, in that situation. Carlson specializes in the kind of insane word games that make people like me go completely apeshit and want to start throwing things. Bill seemed to have reasonably simple answers to a simple question. Here's it boiled down to the essentials, without Tucker's asinine interruption tactic:

Question: What would the climate be like if humans hadn't made it artificially warmer?

Answer: It would be like 1750. You wouldn't be able to grow grapes in Britain, you'd still be able to open ski resorts in certain parts of Europe, and *some specific factoid about agricultural pests that I didn't quite get*.

Sounds pretty straightforward to me! You can argue that it's right or wrong, but it is AN answer.

The thing is, I am on pretty much the opposite side of the fence from Bill. I think he and his ilk are doing a disservice in the conversation about this subject, because he's contributing to an oppressive atmosphere that stops people from even asking questions. I don't know what the truth of climate science is, but I can see with my own eyes that the political situation in climate science is a fertile bed for exactly the sort of Inquisition-style witch-hunts and dissent suppression that you don't want in a scientific field.

But I disagree with Dilbertman. Nye isn't experiencing cognitive dissonance - well, he is as part of the human condition, but not because he didn't have an answer to the question.

Now, Scott Adams I think plays a deep game with his blogging. He's not always being truthful to you, and that's on purpose. I feel like his blogging is interactive, which is one reason I keep reading him. He's not just telling you about his theories of persuasion, he is actively using them on you. And regarding climate change, I think he's doing what he'd call "pacing and leading". He's pacing climate change believers by saying that he believes the scientific consensus, to try to build credibility. Then, he tries to lead them by expressing doubts about small areas in climate science. In a few months, I expect him to be an outright skeptic.

That's what's so neat about his blog, you can actually test his persuasion theory as you read, because he is actively doing it to you.

18 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

It's pretty remarkable how quickly my opinion of the Obama administration has fallen in the past few months.

I've found myself drifting from disappointed optimist to realizing how much of a rerun of the Bush administration we got in a lot of ways. I'm just unsure how much of that was Obama himself or the administrative inertia of the bureaucratic Washington machine.