Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

4 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I was just about to post this.

Funniest paragraph:

Rice's requests to unmask the names of Trump transition officials do not vindicate Trump's own tweets from March 4 in which he accused Obama of illegally tapping Trump Tower. There remains no evidence to support that claim.

http://www.foxnews.com/politics/2017/04/05/steve-bannon-removed-from-national-security-council.html

President Trump’s controversial chief strategist, Stephen Bannon, was removed from the National Security Council on Wednesday, Fox News confirmed.

Bannon was put on the NSC’s “Principals Committee” as a check on former National Security Adviser Lt. Gen. Mike Flynn to make sure Flynn carried through with a directive to depoliticize the NSC, a senior administration official told Fox News.

"[Obama administration National Security Adviser] Susan Rice operationalized the NSC during the last administration," Bannon said in a statement. "I was put on to ensure that it was de-operationalized. [National Security Adviser] General [H.R.] McMaster has returned the NSC to its proper function."

Bannon only attended one meeting of the Principals Committee and Flynn was fired from his role in mid February after misleading Vice President Mike Pence about conversations he had with a Russian official.

With McMaster replacing Flynn, Trump saw no need for Bannon to stay on the committee as a check on Flynn, the official said.

Bannon is still permitted to go to NSC meetings.

On 4/3/2017 at 0:56 PM, Collimatrix said:

Rice's requests to unmask the names of Trump transition officials do not vindicate Trump's own tweets from March 4 in which he accused Obama of illegally tapping Trump Tower. There remains no evidence to support that claim.

On 4/3/2017 at 0:56 PM, Collimatrix said:

I was just about to post this.

Funniest paragraph:

Wait, what?

Trump's Tweet says jack shit about "illegally tapping" anything.

Trump said his wires were tapped. This has been demonstrated.

27 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

A lot is being made of this by Bannon's detractors. Honestly it's not that big of a deal. It's like the Beltway Establishment has never watched The Apprentice.

Just now, Ramlaen said:

This clown from my state also called a near 1-1 Scalia replacement 'stacking the court'.

That's why this whole thing baffles me. Why would you spend so much political capital on this fight when the balance of the court was already in your favor? Save your ammunition when a formerly liberal seat was up for replacement. Truly, the hate and fear Trump inspires in his enemies drives them to do strange things.

1 hour ago, T___A said:

That's why this whole thing baffles me. Why would you spend so much political capital on this fight when the balance of the court was already in your favor? Save your ammunition when a formerly liberal seat was up for replacement. Truly, the hate and fear Trump inspires in his enemies drives them to do strange things.

It's because the Democratic Party has nowhere left to fight but with the court system.

Since 2010, there have been something like close to 1,000 elected positions at the state and national level which have flipped from Democrat to Republican. There are exactly 16 Democrat governors left in the country (with Alaska' governor being an "Independent"). And of those, only a handful of states have a Democrat governor AND a majority Democrat legislature. 

And the way things are going, 2018 is likely to see the Democrats lose even more seats.

The only way the Democrats have been able to maintain any semblance of power is the fact that they are able to judge shop in the Judiciary while using Federal and state bureaucracies to stymie reform. Oh, and they have the traditional mainstream media in their pockets as well.

All I have to say is the Democrats better have a staff of paramedics and nutritionists on hand 24/7 to constantly watch Justices Anthony Kennedy, Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

29 minutes ago, Donward said:

It's because the Democratic Party has nowhere left to fight but with the court system.

Since 2010, there have been something like close to 1,000 elected positions at the state and national level which have flipped from Democrat to Republican. There are exactly 16 Democrat governors left in the country (with Alaska' governor being an "Independent"). And of those, only a handful of states have a Democrat governor AND a majority Democrat legislature. 

And the way things are going, 2018 is likely to see the Democrats lose even more seats.

The only way the Democrats have been able to maintain any semblance of power is the fact that they are able to judge shop in the Judiciary while using Federal and state bureaucracies to stymie reform. Oh, and they have the traditional mainstream media in their pockets as well.

All I have to say is the Democrats better have a staff of paramedics and nutritionists on hand 24/7 to constantly watch Justices Anthony Kennedy, Stephen Breyer and Ruth Bader Ginsburg.

The main  stream media being on their side may not be an advantage, considering just how bad at their jobs the media has gotten, and the legacy media is already dead, they just don't know it yet, only old people watch network and or cable TV/News. Joe Rogan probably has more followers than NBC, ABC, and CBS combined!