Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

“If there’s any confusion out there, let me clear it up: I’m leaving the White House and going to war for Trump against his opponents -- on Capitol Hill, in the media, and in corporate America,” Bannon said Friday in an interview with Bloomberg News

https://www.bloomberg.com/news/articles/2017-08-18/bannon-says-he-s-going-to-war-for-trump-after-white-house-exit

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

To people more versed in the minutiae of White House history than I am, is there any precedent for this sort of personnel turnover?

Yes, during the antebellum period. For instance Millard Fillmore asked and received the resignation of the entire cabinet he inherited from Zachary Taylor.

3 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

To people more versed in the minutiae of White House history than I am, is there any precedent for this sort of personnel turnover?

Certainly not in my lifetime.  Usually the turnover doesn't start until the midterm elections and its usually people resigning, not getting fired.  I remember it was really big news when Bush dumped Rumsfeld as secretary of defense.  Now, something of that magnitude seems to be happening once or twice a month.  

The people who have left the Trump Train List grows longer..
Michael Flynn
Kelly (has to leave current position)
Every US attorney (nothing suspicious about that)
Preet Bharara - via jeff sessions [as part of the above]
All foreign U.S. ambassadors [this one is big but has been missed]
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy
Sally Yates
Mike Dubke
Walter M. Shaub Jr - The ethics guy
James Comey
Sean Spicer
Priebus
Eric Fanning, the first openly gay Secretary of the Army.
Scaramouche
Elizabeth Southerland - EPA's director of science and technology in the agency's Office of Water
Trump Manufacturing Council 
Trump Strategy & Policy Forum
Steve Bannon

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Armold might be the best American immigrant story of all time.  Body builder with a funny name and a funny accent comes to America wanting to make it big and does, doing it his way.  A true icon.  

I like that he says the word "tumor" in the video.  

He was a shitty governor, and he's supposed to be a dick in real life, but I've always liked his movies.  Plus, he owns his own tank, so that's pretty cool, and M47 if I recall right.  

Just now, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

He was a shitty governor, and he's supposed to be a dick in real life, but I've always liked his movies.  Plus, he owns his own tank, so that's pretty cool, and M47 if I recall right.  

Yes.  When he was young he drove an M47 while a conscript in the Austrian military.  So it was old hat to him when he got one a few years ago.  At least, that's the story I remember reading.

46 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

The people who have left the Trump Train List grows longer..
Michael Flynn
Kelly (has to leave current position)
Every US attorney (nothing suspicious about that)
Preet Bharara - via jeff sessions [as part of the above]
All foreign U.S. ambassadors [this one is big but has been missed]
U.S. Surgeon General Vivek Murthy
Sally Yates
Mike Dubke
Walter M. Shaub Jr - The ethics guy
James Comey
Sean Spicer
Priebus
Eric Fanning, the first openly gay Secretary of the Army.
Scaramouche
Elizabeth Southerland - EPA's director of science and technology in the agency's Office of Water
Trump Manufacturing Council 
Trump Strategy & Policy Forum
Steve Bannon

That's a bullshit list, since it includes a bunch of Obama dirt bags, who normally resign, but wouldn't normally whore themselves out to the media, like Obama's slime bags did to try and make trump look bad. 

He should have fired every corrupt as fuck Obama holdover on day one. 

1 minute ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Yes.  When he was young he drove an M47 while a conscript in the Austrian military.  So it was old hat to him when he got one a few years ago.  At least, that's the story I remember reading.

Yeah I think he does kid events with it actually, oddly in all the pictures I've seen the turret is in the travel position, it makes me wonder if it's stuck heh.   

20 hours ago, Donward said:

I think the President bringing up the permitting issue is because the KKK/Neo-Nazi types had a legal right to be there. The ACLU even backed their legal case to obtain the permits.

It looks like this won't be the case much longer, at least if the "alt-right" wants to bring their guns to protests.  The ACLU has issued new policy saying they won't defend groups that brandish firearms to their demonstrations.  

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/charlottesville-violence-prompts-aclu-change-policy-hate-groups-protesting-guns/

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

It looks like this won't be the case much longer, at least if the "alt-right" wants to bring their guns to protests.  The ACLU has issued new policy saying they won't defend groups that brandish firearms to their demonstrations.  

http://www.pbs.org/newshour/rundown/charlottesville-violence-prompts-aclu-change-policy-hate-groups-protesting-guns/

As someone who quite likes firearms, this is probably an excellent decision given the current political climate.

23 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

As someone who quite likes firearms, this is probably an excellent decision given the current political climate.

I can't disagree, nor would I want to. I fear that it is only a matter of time until it happens, though.

Also, holy shit I forgot how slanted PBS is. I knew they were, but was it always that bad?

1 hour ago, Ulric said:

I can't disagree, nor would I want to. I fear that it is only a matter of time until it happens, though.

Also, holy shit I forgot how slanted PBS is. I knew they were, but was it always that bad?

The article seemed pretty matter of fact to me.  Not sure what you thought was so slanted about it.