Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

8 hours ago, Donward said:

Which GOP candidate is going to unseat him in the primary?

Jeff Flake of Arizona?

Benjamin Sasse of Nebraska?

I honestly don't think that if Trump makes it through his current term that he will want to run again.  All evidence points seems to point to the fact that he really does not like the job nor is he interested in it.  He only likes the attention and notoriety it brings him.  Also, the man is not young.  I think in 2020 he declares America great again and retires to play golf and eat fish fillets sandwiches sans the bun.

3 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I honestly don't think that if Trump makes it through his current term that he will want to run again.  All evidence points seems to point to the fact that he really does not like the job nor is he interested in it.  He only likes the attention and notoriety it brings him.  Also, the man is not young.  I think in 2020 he declares America great again and retires to play golf and eat fish fillets sandwiches sans the bun.

"All evidence"

Ok.

4 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Eh, I think you're misreading Trump and falling for the pre-November 2016 theory that Trump is just a performance artist and he doesn't really mean it and he never planned on getting elected to begin with.

I think the past year has shown that Trump believes entirely in his platform and the policies he ran on. And I think Trump likes the job of being President. He gets to hang out with sort of people he like, he gets to jet around the world making deals with foreign leaders, being adored by US soldiers and police officers, while trying to transform the country into the paradise that was the 1980s...

Sure, some tragedy could occur where someone tries to take a pot shot at him or a medical emergency occurs but I don't see him quitting in 2020. 

3 hours ago, Donward said:

Eh, I think you're misreading Trump and falling for the pre-November 2016 theory that Trump is just a performance artist and he doesn't really mean it and he never planned on getting elected to begin with.

I think the past year has shown that Trump believes entirely in his platform and the policies he ran on. And I think Trump likes the job of being President. He gets to hang out with sort of people he like, he gets to jet around the world making deals with foreign leaders, being adored by US soldiers and police officers, while trying to transform the country into the paradise that was the 1980s...

Sure, some tragedy could occur where someone tries to take a pot shot at him or a medical emergency occurs but I don't see him quitting in 2020. 

I think he mis-understood the job and thought he would have a lot more freedom and power than he does.  It's pretty obvious that he really has a poor understanding of how legislation is crafted and passed, how congress and the courts work.  His main priority seems to be watching ungodly amounts of cable news, making sure his name gets mentioned a lot.

14 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I honestly don't think that if Trump makes it through his current term that he will want to run again.  All evidence points seems to point to the fact that he really does not like the job nor is he interested in it.  He only likes the attention and notoriety it brings him.

I dunno, that's not what I see. Why would he have bothered to win if he just wanted notoriety? He's already got that.

14 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Also, the man is not young.  I think in 2020 he declares America great again and retires to play golf and eat fish fillets sandwiches sans the bun.

That is literally the only way the Democrats could win in 2020.

6 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I think he mis-understood the job and thought he would have a lot more freedom and power than he does.

Oh yes, that's likely - but don't forget that cuts both ways. How much you wanna bet the presidential handlers (a la Yes Minister) got more than they bargained for with the King from Queens?

It's pretty obvious that he really has a poor understanding of how legislation is crafted and passed, how congress and the courts work.

Maybe? I mean I can see it both ways. It's clear that Azathoth does not really work the way we were taught in civics class. And I don't think I expect Trump to have understood the finer workings of Washington... But I also don't think Washington was prepared for Trump, either. The idea that Trump is putting people in the doghouse and generally running around knocking over people's houses of cards seems pretty plausible to me. And of course, the media would report this as "Chaos! Chaos! CHAOS!"

His main priority seems to be watching ungodly amounts of cable news, making sure his name gets mentioned a lot.

I think that's his most visible priority, because it's very deliberate. If they are busy talking about Two Scoops, then he's effectively conducted a successful jamming operation on the psyops arm of Azathoth's army.

Also, you know what I realized recently? Trump reminds me the most of one president in particular: JFK. They were both yuuuuuuge historic firsts, they both upset shoe-in traditional politicians, and they both have bizarre Northeastern accents that nobody at the time could take seriously.

53 minutes ago, Scolopax said:

I don't recall ever covering this.

43 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Oh shit that's right, we need like a special SH civics class to cover all the bizarre terminology and concepts that I and @Collimatrix use.

SH civics class run by Colli and Sturg would look something like this...

1tEuxiCqPAxIw2L8NAnz5-w.jpeg

With - of course - emphasis on the concept of "banking" (see blackboard) as taught by EnsignExpendable...

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

I dunno, that's not what I see. Why would he have bothered to win if he just wanted notoriety? He's already got that.

That is literally the only way the Democrats could win in 2020.

Or they could get more votes.  Oh wait, they did that in the last election, just not in all the right places.  Perhaps they will run someone not as terrible as Hillary Clinton.  But knowing the Democrats, that's a very big "if".

5 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Or they could get more votes.  Oh wait, they did that in the last election, just not in all the right places.  Perhaps they will run someone not as terrible as Hillary Clinton.  But knowing the Democrats, that's a very big "if".

No, I don't think they are going to get more votes. By 2020, Trump will be a proven candidate, and the Democrats will have doubled, tripled, quadrupled, quintupled down on everything that leeched votes from them in 2016.

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Can you even imagine if they ran Hillary again.