Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

47 minutes ago, Donward said:

Counterpoint. The American voters put Trump into office as the last ditch hope to reclaim our Republic from the Oligarchy which has burrowed itself into the hide of Washington like so many ticks, and whose only concern is engorging themselves on the public trough. 

How is Trump not an Oligarchy of one?  Sometimes the cure is worse than the disease.

36 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

If Trump really were an autocrat, a lot more would get done, probably.

I thought that autocrats were beholden to the elites keeping them in power. So perhaps not?

Then again, Trump doesn't seem very popular with the elites. Maybe he really is a populist democratic leader?

I'm confused, bring the monarchy back!

1 hour ago, Toxn said:

I thought that autocrats were beholden to the elites keeping them in power. So perhaps not?

Then again, Trump doesn't seem very popular with the elites. Maybe he really is a populist democratic leader?

I'm confused, bring the monarchy back!

Autocrats are different from each other, as their backgrounds can be different. How autocrat will beholden to the elites... if he destroyed them? 

9 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Autocrats are different from each other, as their backgrounds can be different. How autocrat will beholden to the elites... if he destroyed them? 

He may have destroyed the old elites (or some of them, anyway), but there will always be elites of some sort upon whose support his rule rests.

3 minutes ago, Toxn said:

He may have destroyed the old elites (or some of them, anyway), but there will always be elites of some sort upon whose support his rule rests.

How about Stalin? He put his people on some important places in Communist party before becoming Ze Great Leader.

1 hour ago, LoooSeR said:

How about Stalin? He put his people on some important places in Communist party before becoming Ze Great Leader.

Stalin was about as close to a total dictator as anyone has come, I think (maybe Mao was up there as well, but I don't know my Chinese history well enough to comment).

And yet even he was not an unquestioned tyrant who the generals and commissars simply obeyed out of fear. The dude took advice, backed down and changed his opinions quite consistently when pressed. He was great at making the people directly under him loyal rather than simply fearful or servile. Part of this was that he was attentive to the needs of the people directly below him, and cultivated them by praising and rewarding them. He was good, in other words, at managing the people who held up the throne.

Looks like the Rent-a-mobs are disrupting the Kavanaugh hearings as expected

Also, what is the point of this cosplay?

I'm vaguely aware there is a TV show (Netflix?) involving some dystopian future where... fuck, I don't even know what the show is about.

26 minutes ago, Donward said:

Looks like the Rent-a-mobs are disrupting the Kavanaugh hearings as expected

Also, what is the point of this cosplay?

I'm vaguely aware there is a TV show (Netflix?) involving some dystopian future where... fuck, I don't even know what the show is about.

Trump's pick, ______, will overturn Roe V Wade and we must stop him/her/it.

*editors note, the candidate's name will be filled in after Trump makes his pick.

3 minutes ago, T___A said:

It's a really, really, really, bad christian apologetic movie that like the Handmaid's tale doesn't actually interact with the other side and instead engages with caricatures.

Yeah I tried to take The Handmaid's Tale as just a standalone science fiction universe, but it was really difficult to not just see it as a strawman against the Christian Right.

6 minutes ago, Donward said:

So... if Kavanaugh is appointed it means people will be forced to watch Handmaid’s Tale?

Handmaid's tale is an apocryphal tale in feminist thinking where women lose all rights and become the biggest caricature of "u buy waif 4 2 goats? virgin gud yyes?". Just imagine Saudi Arabia on religious steroids with a Mormon flavor.

Just now, Donward said:

I can’t wait to watch the Left collectively shit themselves when Trump appoints the replacement for Ruth Ginsberg 

2019: After a November Red Wave, Ginsberg and Breyer die of natural causes within months of each other, and Sotomayor and Kagan end up in a massive fatal multi-car pileup while carpooling. Trump nominates 4 30-year old judges and the SCOTUS stays red for literally half a century.

28 minutes ago, Lostwingman said:

Handmaid's tale is an apocryphal tale in feminist thinking where women lose all rights and become the biggest caricature of "u buy waif 4 2 goats? virgin gud yyes?". Just imagine Saudi Arabia on religious steroids with a Mormon flavor.

You mean Saudi Arabia before 1980?