Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

1 minute ago, Belesarius said:

Except the narrative is falling apart without even a serious investigation.  Frankly, if an investigation went through, there might be grounds for perjury and conspiracy charges to be filed by the FBI, from what I'm looking at.

And if there was a chance that a Supreme Court Judge who is pretty much appointed for life was a rapist, I'd think that it should be checked out pretty thoroughly.  And frankly, if I was the Judge, I'd want to have my name pretty convincingly cleared.  Now after some of the discussions I've had here, I dunno if I'd trust the FBI to be the agency doing the investigation, but that has to do with the competence of the people running that organization.  Also, why the fuck hasn't he filed slander/libel charges?

At this point we've seen countless times where false stories are spread out far and wide with the retractions and corrections being barely noticed if noticed at all. It won't matter. It doesn't matter in the case of public perception because this is the most wild and memorable part of this whole process and it's the part where he's being labeled a rapist. Barring Feinstein taking a shotgun to her staff and then barricading herself into some DC office. The past few days are what is going to in people's memory because that's what has been reported on wall to wall. Everything later might as well be a local weather report for all the people who will see it and have it committed to long term memory.

35 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

How would his life be ruined if he was not selected as a Supreme Court Justice? Serious question.  The whole selection process is basically a really involved job interview. If he doesn't get the job, how is his life ruined? He's still a Superior Court Judge, IIRC.

I've been bitching out a few people about the whole 'burden of proof' dialogue.  Both on the left for calling for the FBI to investigate the guy to those on the right for saying stuff like this will 'ruin his life.'  What is the burden of proof for deciding that a Candidate for a job isn't the right fit? Because that's what this process is. To see if Kavenaugh (sp) is fit to be a member of the Supreme Court.  Now, I thought that the Republicans would just shove this guy through... they had the votes from the start. But man, this has been an ugly process. It's a very different process than selecting a Supreme Court Judge up here in Canuckistan.  The process is much less political here.

The issue isn't proving whether or  not Kavanaugh went Rape Ape on some chicks at a party. All that was is an excuse to delay the confirmation vote. 

That's been the main strategy behind all of this, to deny the President from appointing a second Supreme Court Justice and breaking the 4 to 4 Conservative/Liberal deadlock. 

The crime is irrelevant. If the Democrats thought that accusing him of embezzling seniors or being a racist or being the second shooter on the Grassy Knoll with Ted Cruz's dad when he shot Kennedy would have worked, then they'd have hammered that Jello on the wall too. 

The issue with the Rape Train in the 1980s is that by having an FBI investigation, they could prolong this fiasco indefinitely. How do you prove he did or didn't do this crime when there are no witnesses? How do you disprove something when all they need to do is produce another "victim" who wasn't a victim at all and simply recounts a story that she heard about this one time in band camp...

So the Democrats were counting on either the GOP Senate or the President going wobbly or Kavanaugh recusing himself over these accusations. Barring that, they tried to run out the clock until the midterms hoping "muh blue wave" will happen.

In retrospect this turned out to be a weak hand they played and I wonder if Feinstein would have been better off pushing the story before the nomination even occurred. 

2 minutes ago, Donward said:

The issue isn't proving whether or  not Kavanaugh went Rape Ape on some chicks at a party. All that was is an excuse to delay the confirmation vote. 

That's been the main strategy behind all of this, to deny the President from appointing a second Supreme Court Justice and breaking the 4 to 4 Conservative/Liberal deadlock. 

The crime is irrelevant. If the Democrats thought that accusing him of embezzling seniors or being a racist or being the second shooter on the Grassy Knoll with Ted Cruz's dad when he shot Kennedy would have worked, then they'd have hammered that Jello on the wall too. 

The issue with the Rape Train in the 1980s is that by having an FBI investigation, they could prolong this fiasco indefinitely. How do you prove he did or didn't do this crime when there are no witnesses? How do you disprove something when all they need to do is produce another "victim" who wasn't a victim at all and simply recounts a story that she heard about this one time in band camp...

So the Democrats were counting on either the GOP Senate or the President going wobbly or Kavanaugh recusing himself over these accusations. Barring that, they tried to run out the clock until the midterms hoping "muh blue wave" will happen.

In retrospect this turned out to be a weak hand they played and I wonder if Feinstein would have been better off pushing the story before the nomination even occurred. 

I agree with you that this was about delaying the confirmation to a certain degree, especially if Feinstein sat on the information.  But there is a lot of people, women that I know especially who are assault survivors who legit are concerned that they don't want someone who is of that bent on the court. And I think that is an understandable concern. Again, the overt political nature of your Supreme Court appointments and the manner in which y'all go about appointing/confirming them is so confrontational that dirty tricks pretty much are the name of the game. It's an odd process.

8 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

I agree with you that this was about delaying the confirmation to a certain degree, especially if Feinstein sat on the information.  But there is a lot of people, women that I know especially who are assault survivors who legit are concerned that they don't want someone who is of that bent on the court. And I think that is an understandable concern. Again, the overt political nature of your Supreme Court appointments and the manner in which y'all go about appointing/confirming them is so confrontational that dirty tricks pretty much are the name of the game. It's an odd process.

If there was an iota of evidence supporting the claim, Kavanaugh would have been toast. But there wasn't any.

Everyone talks about Clarence Thomas, but the actual analogy to today's debacle is the Judge Roy moore fiasco in Alabama where the Democrats were able to convince just enough Alabama voters to stay home. And it was because they had "evidence" like his signature on a yearbook. And they accused him of a far worse crime than rape, that being pedophilia. 

Essentially, the Dems used the same Roy moore template but they got lazy and didn't do all of their homework in finding corroborating witnesses or evidence. 

The fact that Kavanaugh is a freaking pack rat who kept his bloody freakign event calendars from 1982 is another factor that the Dems probably couldn't foresee. 

Edit: And another thing that I mentioned above, Kavanaugh is part of the "in club" when it comes to DC politics whereas Roy moore was an outsider  and something of a gadfly. The DC Republicans are going to wall to protect their own here whereas they couldn't care less for the weird and kind of creepy Ten Commandments judge. 

18 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

who legit are concerned that they don't want someone who is of that bent on the court. 

What bent is that exactly? Perhaps it is one fabricated from these claims which no one, even Ford herself, can consistently and accurately corroborate? I think you've already countered your own point about "oh what harm has been done in all this!".

35 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Fienstien did it. It's a fact. 

Kavanaugh is the closest thing to a Boyscout, or Walley Cleaver you are ever going to find. He has far more good character references than Ford does. 

The Dems could've had their FBI investigation all said and done by now if they didn't wait until the last possible second. Of course the counter point about Dr. Ford's privacy is nonsensical for the following reason:

The argument hinges on the implicit premise that we can have rapists on the Supreme Court as long as their accusers want to remain private. So if the letter is never leaked is Fienestein supposed sit there and allow who she genuinely believes is possibly rapist on the Supreme Court? A confidential investigation with confidential hearing would've been the most reasonable action for Fienestein to take. This would not have produced the results she wanted so that option had no chance. A public investigation with Dr. Ford remaining anonymous--an option I've seen seriously suggested--would be the most nonsensical option: we are not a totalitarian regime that allows for anonymous denunciations. When you accuse someone of a crime, especially a felony, you have no right to privacy. 

So the Dems don't come out looking good on this. 

I personally theorize that Trump lured Lindsey Graham into his office on some pretext.

Suddenly, three of Trump's old WWE wrestler buddies sprang out and locked the door.  Then they put Graham into a sleeper hold and suplexed him into the floor.  Then, for good measure, they hit him with folding chairs for a while.

Then two held him down on the ground while one of them yelled in his face.  "DO YOU FEEL WEAK?!  ARE YOU ANGRY YET?!  AM I GOING TO HAVE TO HIT YOU SOME MORE SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF THE PAIN?!"

And Lindsey Graham cried and maybe wet himself a bit.

The yelling wrestler continued.  "YOU ARE ESTRANGED FROM YOUR PRIMAL NATURE?!  WHERE IS YOUR FORCEFUL WILL?!  WILL YOU MERELY ACCEPT THE COLD HAND OF OBLIVION?!"

The wrestler started slapping the senator and shaking him.

"YOU WOULDN'T LIFT A FINGER IF I KILLED YOU RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IN YOUR GUTS YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD?!  WHY DIE A THOUSAND TIMES IF YOU CAN'T EVEN LIVE ONCE?!  WHY DO YOU TORMENT YOURSELF THIS WAY?!"

By this point the senator could only make muffled choking sounds.

"WELL GUESS WHAT LITTLE BUDDY?!  IT'S TIME TO FIGHT?!  I'M GOING TO MAKE A REAL BERSERKER OUT OF YOU?!"

The wrestler pulled out a syringe and a cotton pad swabbed in rubbing alcohol.

"THIS IS A SALINE SOLUTION OF COCAINE AND STEROIDS?!  WE'RE GOING TO REPEAT THIS LITTLE PROCEDURE UNTIL YOU ARE MAD ENOUGH AND BAD ENOUGH TO UNLEASH YOUR FIGHTING SPUNK ON THE UNSUSPECTING MASSES?!  DO YOU GET ME?!"

Trump just sat silently for this entire episode, smirking above steepled fingers.

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

I personally theorize that Trump lured Lindsey Graham into his office on some pretext.

Suddenly, three of Trump's old WWE wrestler buddies sprang out and locked the door.  Then they put Graham into a sleeper hold and suplexed him into the floor.  Then, for good measure, they hit him with folding chairs for a while.

Then two held him down on the ground while one of them yelled in his face.  "DO YOU FEEL WEAK?!  ARE YOU ANGRY YET?!  AM I GOING TO HAVE TO HIT YOU SOME MORE SO YOU CAN UNDERSTAND THE NATURE OF THE PAIN?!"

And Lindsey Graham cried and maybe wet himself a bit.

The yelling wrestler continued.  "YOU ARE ESTRANGED FROM YOUR PRIMAL NATURE?!  WHERE IS YOUR FORCEFUL WILL?!  WILL YOU MERELY ACCEPT THE COLD HAND OF OBLIVION?!"

The wrestler started slapping the senator and shaking him.

"YOU WOULDN'T LIFT A FINGER IF I KILLED YOU RIGHT NOW BECAUSE IN YOUR GUTS YOU ARE ALREADY DEAD?!  WHY DIE A THOUSAND TIMES IF YOU CAN'T EVEN LIVE ONCE?!  WHY DO YOU TORMENT YOURSELF THIS WAY?!"

By this point the senator could only make muffled choking sounds.

"WELL GUESS WHAT LITTLE BUDDY?!  IT'S TIME TO FIGHT?!  I'M GOING TO MAKE A REAL BERSERKER OUT OF YOU?!"

The wrestler pulled out a syringe and a cotton pad swabbed in rubbing alcohol.

"THIS IS A SALINE SOLUTION OF COCAINE AND STEROIDS?!  WE'RE GOING TO REPEAT THIS LITTLE PROCEDURE UNTIL YOU ARE MAD ENOUGH AND BAD ENOUGH TO UNLEASH YOUR FIGHTING SPUNK ON THE UNSUSPECTING MASSES?!  DO YOU GET ME?!"

Trump just sat silently for this entire episode, smirking above steepled fingers.

If this is what wrestling was like int he '90s man I missed out. 

Also, I didn't watch the last bit with Kavanaugh. But I heard he cried a bit. So the dems accused and accused and accused and he's just sick of saying "NO, I Didn't do that shit"? 

Pretty sad. The Democrats are resorting to actual literal schoolyard bullying. 

22 minutes ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Also, I didn't watch the last bit with Kavanaugh. But I heard he cried a bit. So the dems accused and accused and accused and he's just sick of saying "NO, I Didn't do that shit"? 

At one point he was being asked about playing quarters.

2 hours ago, Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect said:

Where is that photo of Feinstein cornering Murkowski, looking exactly like a school bully? 

4 hours ago, Jeeps_Guns_Tanks said:

Oh man, Trumps getting another one! Look at this old women, she can't hold her head up or even really talk with vigor. The left must be in panic mode. 

I will say that Ginsberg looks awfully moral and upstanding compared to others in her party right now. I've never been a huge fan of hers, but I do not wish for her to die which is more than I can say for the rest of the Democrats right now.

Still excited for the 3rd Trump nomination though.

52 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I will say that Ginsberg looks awfully moral and upstanding compared to others in her party right now. I've never been a huge fan of hers, but I do not wish for her to die which is more than I can say for the rest of the Democrats right now.

Still excited for the 3rd Trump nomination though.

There was some scuttlebutt on why Trump didn’t choose Judge Amy Coney Barrett instead of Kavanaugh.

https://en.m.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amy_Coney_Barrett

And the reason is that Trump is keeping her card in the deck for when he gets to replace RBG with a conservative female judge.