Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

44 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Walter, your whataboutism is in overdrive

iv6cgvfnszd01.jpg

It's not whataboutism.  It's directly related.  I was rebutting a previous post about Lindsey Graham in which he tried to claim that Republicans had been dealing with supreme court confirmations in good faith while democrats had suddenly politicized the process.  The politicization had started far earlier.  Republicans tried to ram this confirmation through saying they were on a strict time table.  Two years ago, they stalled for months. So you see, those are related topics.  Whataboutism is when you bring up an issue, and I bring up something unrelated in order to distract from your point.  

2 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I also want to treat Walt fairly here, but he's making it really difficult. I really want to know where "the Conscience of HAV" went.

Nobody here expects anyone to be happy that their candidate for President lost, but this?

I'm seeing it.

Had some who would not talk to me for a long time, when I said "No I did not vote for the Wicked Witch of the South. Why would I?".

(Then things broke.).

3 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

he tried to claim that Republicans had been dealing with supreme court confirmations in good faith

Graham didn't say that, I did. It's not even unclear from context:

And yet, Graham sees the sham being pulled here and voted Kavanaugh through. The Democrats, not the Republicans, are the faith-breakers here. Before, it was accepted that Senators voted for SCOTUS nominees based on their qualifications, not their politics.

I use "Graham" in the 3rd person in the previous sentence. So you just didn't read it, or???

5 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

The politicization had started far earlier.  Republicans tried to ram this confirmation through saying they were on a strict time table.  Two years ago, they stalled for months. So you see, those are related topics. 

Which, what, justifies character assassination of a judge?

I never claimed that action was right, but it's very, very different than what happened here. And we can see that Graham at least 2/3 times has been impartial. Yet he did not split for the Democrats.

Also, I thought Lindsey Graham was the king of the RINOs?

You say that as if it doesn't reinforce my point. If anyone would have split had there been any merit at all to these accusations, it would have been Graham. The Democrats read from his book a passage about sexual assault survivors in an attempt to throw his own words back at him, but all it says to me is that if anyone had reason to take this seriously on the Republican side, it would have been him. But he saw right through what Feinstein and co were trying to pull.

Just now, Sturgeon said:

It was always "whataboutism" to you whenever any of us did something analogous. Be fair, Walt, please.

Honestly, I'm not all that big on fairness these days.

Face it, Republicans got played on this Kavanaugh issue.  It doesn't matter if you think these women are telling the truth or not.  The Republicans take damage either way.  If Kavanaugh gets voted down, they have to find a new nominee after the midterm elections.  If they push it through, they further alienate female voters, particularly young ones, a demographic where the Republicans are already quite weak.   I guess they should have vetted the candidate better...

I thought fairness was a Leftist principle? So, when the chips are down, you won't stick to those, is that what you're saying? Or you never had fairness as a principle?

That's seriously concerning, I'm not posturing here. I am actually concerned.

Face it, Republicans got played on this Kavanaugh issue.  It doesn't matter if you think these women are telling the truth or not.  The Republicans take damage either way.  If Kavanaugh gets voted down, they have to find a new nominee after the midterm elections.  If they push it through, they further alienate female voters, particularly young ones, a demographic where the Republicans are already quite weak.   I guess they should have vetted the candidate better...

I honestly don't give a shit what outlook you have on the Kavanaugh issue, I just want you to make some kind of steps toward repairing the damage you did to my and Jeeps' friendship with you. Last night hurt that friendship, a lot.

If Feinstein drumming up multiple false rape accusations against a Judge simultaneously was something the Republicans couldn't have foreseen, then boy that says a lot about the difference in character quality along party lines, doesn't it?

47 minutes ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

At this point, the Christ himself could have been presented, and I assure you, there would have been everything shy of a rabid squirrel turning up to claim some sort of unsavory encounter, for their fifteen minutes.

2 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Funny, when Obama nominated Merrick Garland, the Republican Senate had no problem postponing a hearing for months for purely partisan reasons.   

I too think that proceduraly slowing things down and dragging your feet is equivalent to trying to smear and ruin someone's life and family. I know when I don't like someone, I try to make them unable to function in regular society! Yep! I too remember when Sotomayor was alleged to have child sex dungeons in her basement. Wew lad, wild times.

23 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

Trump:  Deploy the smokescreen!

Media:  WHAT SMOKESCREEN DO YOU MEAN YOU RACIST, RAPIST, RUSSIA-PUPPET?!  YOU MEAN THE SMOKESCREEN YOU MADE WHEN YOU BURNED THE CONSTITUTION?!

Trump:  Thanks, that will do.

What are you talking about? Trump is a literal retard who needs to watch the gorilla channel or he'll throw his mac and cheese at the wall!

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Can you explain how, besides being conservative and these current allegations that have literal negative evidence for happening, that this is the case? I'm being serious. Just like I'm waiting for Trump's apparent right wing death squads to round up the messicans, I'm curious what do you think is soo particularly bad about this guy for women?

1 hour ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Also, I thought Lindsey Graham was the king of the RINOs?

Doesn't mean he can't be right sometimes. But you see, I'm the kind of person who listens to what people say and try to evaluate that without using my prior feelings about them to just discount them. I'm sure your not familiar with that though.

46 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

From the left for voting in favor of Kavanaugh or from the right for asking for the supplimentary FBI investigation?

The article makes it sound like that specific threat is from a member of the right.

Either way though, Flake is probably going to get death threats from either side. No matter what he does, someone is going to be upset. That seems to be the problem with being a moderate or swing voter.