Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Post Election Thread: Democracy Dies In Darkness And You Can Help

T___A

This was a GOOD thing by the way since it decreased representation in Southern states.

I will give you that it was good in a pragmatic sense. 

I didn't know slaves voted 

What Donward is saying is that originally the Southern States wanted slaves counted as whole human beings for the purposes of awarding representation in the House of Representatives.  Since they were not allowed to vote, it was rather unfair for them to be counted as people in regards to awarding representation.  The 3/5 rule was a compromise based on pragmatism, pure and simple.  The South wanted to have their cake and eat it too. 

I didn't know slaves voted 

Slaves didn't vote. But Congressional districts were allocated to population. This means men, women and children (white) as well as slave men, women and children (counted at 3/5s).

I can't remember if Indians were included but I think not.

So if South Carolina has - picking a random number. 3 million white citizens and 3 million slaves. And Congressional Districts contain - picking another random number - 500,000 people. The math means that South Carolina would lose out on one Congressional District 12 versus 11 with the 3/5s number on account of that particular compromise in the Constitution.

It seems politically incorrect now to call a human being 3/5s of a person. But this was a GOOD thing at the time of our founding since it meant the Slave states couldn't artificially stack political representation on account of human chattel. 

Yeah. 

From the little bit I've been able to glean online and by listening to the talk radio slobs, Trump is considering adding a lot of REAL conservatives to his cabinet. I'm talking real red meat types. Not the sniveling little RINOs that Dubya Bush appointed.

RqL413Mh.jpg

My evening stroll today was interrupted by a Fuck Trump protest mob.  Fun happenings include:

-2 trucks tried driving through them as they crossed a crosswalk (both were caught by police)
-People shot a couple fireworks into the crowd.  One person was kinda hurt, but not enough to need any sort of medical attention.

-Mid life crisis lady lost her mind and went after some guy with a MAGA hat just a bit to my right.  His Trump pals, then the cops, pulled her away before she got pepper sprayed.

-Cops were able to catch everyone except for one of the fireworks snipers, but a lot of the protestors still had a lot of butthurt towards the cops not doing their job like they wanted them to.

-A lot of them had serious victim complexes, but some of the people with them that had some grey matter in their skulls shot down their demands for a new multi-cultural building and for cops needing to respond to calls quicker than 2 minutes.

-Campus president sent an email to all students.  Image version here.  All things considered, he handled the situation well at the open forum thing earlier tonight.

I find it saddening to see all of these tumblr sorts of SJW people crawl out of the woodwork here ever since November started.  First they tried crashing a speaker talking about radical Islam on the 2nd, now they serve as the bulk of the protests happening here.  They've always stayed isolated in their own little social bubbles until now.

This article is getting attention again:

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/brexit-is-only-the-latest-proof-of-the-insularity-and-failure-of-western-establishment-institutions/

Unfortunately; if you agree that its hypothesis is essentially correct, then all we can expect for the forseeable is an establishment determined to block all reform - good and bad.

This article is getting attention again:

https://theintercept.com/2016/06/25/brexit-is-only-the-latest-proof-of-the-insularity-and-failure-of-western-establishment-institutions/

Unfortunately; if you agree that its hypothesis is essentially correct, then all we can expect for the forseeable is an establishment determined to block all reform - good and bad.

Interesting. 

Erm, well for a lot of families they will actually save a shitload of money if ACA is repealed.

I know being Canadian you are worried that some people will be left out in the cold, but I don't think you fully grasp how absolute shit of a law the ACA is. Like, there probably are people who can afford coverage under it who wouldn't have been able to otherwise, but I don't know any of them. I don't think I know anyone who knows any of them. I don't think I've ever heard of them, except for in the administration's propaganda.

Actually, I do know someone who is in that situation. He has a form of blood cancer where the marrow is making far too many red blood cells. He's trying to get on disability and Medicaid, but for the past year his only option is ACA

Holy shit.

http://www.politico.com/story/2016/11/hillary-clinton-aides-loss-blame-231215

Not only is it clear they've learned nothing:

There was little the Clinton operatives could do about the “scandals” they inherited when they signed up to work for the former secretary of state. But Clinton allies are also faulting the campaign for failing to develop a credible message for downscale white voters, arguing she could have won by a larger margin on the economy.

And some began pointing fingers at the young campaign manager, Robby Mook, who spearheaded a strategy supported by the senior campaign team that included only limited outreach to those voters — a theory of the case that Bill Clinton had railed against for months, wondering aloud at meetings why the campaign was not making more of an attempt to even ask that population for its votes. It’s not that there was none: Clinton’s post-convention bus tour took her through Youngstown, Ohio, as well as Pittsburgh and Harrisburg, where she tried to eat into Trump’s margins with his base. In Scranton and Harrisburg, the campaign aired a commercial that featured a David Letterman clip of Trump admitting to outsourcing manufacturing of the products and clothes that bore his logo. And at campaign stops in Ohio, Clinton talked about Trump’s reliance on Chinese steel.

But in general, Bill Clinton’s viewpoint of fighting for the working class white voters was often dismissed with a hand wave by senior members of the team as a personal vendetta to win back the voters who elected him, from a talented but aging politician who simply refused to accept the new Democratic map. At a meeting ahead of the convention at which aides presented to both Clintons the “Stronger Together” framework for the general election, senior strategist Joel Benenson told the former president bluntly that the voters from West Virginia were never coming back to his party.

Bill fucking Clinton warned them and they didn't listen.

Cancellation of ACA would be a godsend. Yes, some people would lose coverage, but the overall situation would be better (the economy would dramatically improve in the lowest sectors, for one).

Now, Trump has said he doesn't want to cancel ACA if he doesn't have to. He wants to reform it. That's the better choice, I think.

This is from Judith Tarr, a Fantasy author that I follow on FB.

I want to keep this a politics-free space, because so many people of so many different views have managed to get together here. Twitter is where I do my rabble-rousing and opinionating.

But I do want to say one thing. This is not for discussion or debate. I don't want to hear arguments from the other side. I've heard them, read them, seen them. There are other places for them.

I've been on the losing side of elections before. I lived through 22 aggregate years of Reagan and two Bushes. Losing is never fun.

This is worse. Twitter is where I go into all the ins and outs and variations and ramifications. This is my personal page, and in this election, the loss is direct and personal.

I will be losing my health insurance. There is no sign of any viable replacement, and there is no indication that whatever does replace the flawed and rickety ACA will be an improvement. Most likely I will have to return to the old choice between mortgage/living expenses and insurance. I call it the "Bankrupt or Die" plan.

It's also quite likely that Medicare and Social Security will be on the table, and changes made that will not favor low-income, noncorporate, pensionless people like me. But that's speculative. What I know, today, is that the majority leader of the Senate has stated that repeal of the ACA is an immediate priority.

And that's my life on the line, and the lives of 20 million other people. Already I have heard of a person who committed suicide because they could not see a way ahead without their insurance. There will be more. There may well have been more already.

Do not tell me it will be OK. Do not ask me to give the incoming administration the benefit of the doubt. Do not votesplain or politicalsplain me. Do not for the love of little green men rant at me about Evil ACA. I have been understanding, I have been careful to see all sides, I have recognized that the program is seriously flawed, on many other days, and will on many days again. Not today. This, for once, is about me, on my page, and I ask you to respect that. If you can't, I will delete your post.

I do know the ACA is a bit more complicated to shut down than just "Off with its head!" on January 20th. I also know that, for the past six years, the party in power has done nothing and proposed nothing that in any way reassures me that there will be any workable or affordable alternative. If I'm wrong, fantastic. I have no reason, today, to expect that I am.

When something goes wrong and we say, "Well, at least no babies will die," that's black humor.

Not today. When the ACA goes, babies will die.

And that's what this election result means to me. Above and beyond any ideology or policy.

Now back to horses, dogs, cats, roses, daily life, and all the things that make this is a safe and calm space.