Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I'm more concerned about what happens when scum like Mitt Romney and the would-be power.brokers try to steal this race from Trump or Cruz. If they are successful in any brokered convention attempt, that is when you'll have a rioting in the street moment. Something which I see mirrored in the DNC when Sanders loses to someone who'll be indicted by the FBI ... any day now...

If Trump should be President - I think Cruz will pull it through btw - the worst that'll happen is that Congress has to get off their collective asses and take back some of its lawmaking authority that it has ceded to the Executive.

Trump = Andrew Jackson more than any political candidate btw in terms of his populist appeal and how he scares the knickers off of the DC established. Hell, they both share the same attitude towards spelling...

Edit: I don't think there is any clear analog with the Trump movement ant that of Fascism in Italy, Germany, Spain or any of the other European countries of the 1920s and 1930s.

However I see a lot of similarity between him and the progressive movement of Jackson's 1824 and 1828 presidential races. To a certain extent, his celebrity mirrors that of Teddy Roosevelt who was also feared by similar elements.

Now, Trump is no TR by any stretch of the imagination nor is he an Old Hickory. But if you look at the sort who supported each of those candidates and their anti-wall street and big BAnking platforms, there is a bit of similarity.

I'm also a bit woozy after being at the doctors and taking some tsts. So bear in mind I can be completely fucktarded right now.

Edit: Populist. NOt Progressive.

HAH! Jackson is the guy I've been comparing Trump to when talking to my landlord.

All I hear is "Deutschland, deutschland uber alles" when he speaks.

With TR at worst it might have been  "Liberty Bell March"..

I suppose if there is one silver lining out of this political season so far, it's the likely end of Chris Christie's political career.  

"And NOTHING of value was lost..."

HAH! Jackson is the guy I've been comparing Trump to when talking to my landlord.

I can understand the rationale for the Jackson/Trump comparison from a political standpoint, but I certainly would not compare the two men in regards to anything else.  There are many things I don't like about Andrew Jackson, but I will give him his due and state that he was unequivocally a true bad ass.  Trump on the other hand is a loud mouthed obnoxious son of privilege.  

I'm more concerned about what happens when scum like Mitt Romney and the would-be power.brokers try to steal this race from Trump or Cruz. If they are successful in any brokered convention attempt, that is when you'll have a rioting in the street moment. Something which I see mirrored in the DNC when Sanders loses to someone who'll be indicted by the FBI ... any day now...

[tinfoil hat zone]

Or they get "taken care of"...

[tinfoil hat zone]

I can see Trump being Huey Longed though. That would be insane.