Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

I am kind of sad that Rand Paul had to do the inevitable and drop out of the race. It's not that I agree with his foreign policy stances - I generally don't - but it was nice to have someone on the stage who actually spoke about the Tenth Amendment like he freaking meant it.

Political Nihilism is a pretty widespread American phenomena nowadays. Thats what I call it at least, sounds more smarter than not caring about elections. 

I'm kind of fond of calling it deserving what you get even though I know full well it's an individually futile act.

I guess I'll chime in here.  Personally, I find Ted Cruz to be the most repellent personality of the GOP since old Joe McCarthy.  Trump is a weird freakshow that is only working because of the weakness of the candidates from both parties.  The rest of the Republicans are pretty uninteresting.  Does anyone really get excited about Rubio?  Or Carly "I sank HP" Fiorina?  I can't even remember the other GOP candidates right now, they are all so uninteresting.  

The GOP is still suffering from the damage inflicted by Bush Jr.  His cabinet should have provided some viable candidates, but instead they have all disappeared, tarred with being associated with his foreign policy fiascoes.  The saddest part is that the Bush Jr cabinet could have provided the GOP with a bit of the diversity it desperately needs.  Think about how much better off the GOP would be right now if their leading black candidate was Colin Powell or Condi Rice instead of Ben Carson.  Ben Carson is just fucking weird.

As to the Democrats...  Hillary is unlikable and carries the stigma of her husband.  The irony is that the Clinton presidency was pretty successful, aside from that whole sex scandal thing.  I think she would probably be a fairly competent president.  Certainly not someone of great moral or ethical virtue and not someone I would expect to do great things (much like her husband or Barack Obama.)  And then there is Bernie Sanders.  Does anyone really think this guy would be an effective president?  I actually like Bermie, his politics are probably more in line with my beliefs than any of the other candidates.  But for fuck's sake, buy a hair brush!  The people of the USA are not going to elect a goofy looking dude from New England to be president.  And lets face it, this guy has no appeal to voters of color, which is the key to any Democratic victory.  

The sad thing is that we might be better off as a nation of the choice was between Martin OMalley and John Kasich.

I had some political polling folks come to my house today. Despite the "No Trespassing" signs and the "Go Away" door mat, they still rang my bell. I shook my cane at them and threaten to hit them with the hose. If I had hounds to release, I would have. 

I had some political polling folks come to my house today. Despite the "No Trespassing" signs and the "Go Away" door mat, they still rang my bell. I shook my cane at them and threaten to hit them with the hose. If I had hounds to release, I would have. 

I do the same thing "goddammit i am voting for the Communist Party, only because Democracy itself is a joke and i will be rewarded when you kids drop this whole Russian Federation experiment, my new tractor will be shiny, and green" 

I guess I'll chime in here.  Personally, I find Ted Cruz to be the most repellent personality of the GOP since old Joe McCarthy.  Trump is a weird freakshow that is only working because of the weakness of the candidates from both parties.  The rest of the Republicans are pretty uninteresting.  Does anyone really get excited about Rubio?  Or Carly "I sank HP" Fiorina?  I can't even remember the other GOP candidates right now, they are all so uninteresting.  

The GOP is still suffering from the damage inflicted by Bush Jr.  His cabinet should have provided some viable candidates, but instead they have all disappeared, tarred with being associated with his foreign policy fiascoes.  The saddest part is that the Bush Jr cabinet could have provided the GOP with a bit of the diversity it desperately needs.  Think about how much better off the GOP would be right now if their leading black candidate was Colin Powell or Condi Rice instead of Ben Carson.  Ben Carson is just fucking weird.

As to the Democrats...  Hillary is unlikable and carries the stigma of her husband.  The irony is that the Clinton presidency was pretty successful, aside from that whole sex scandal thing.  I think she would probably be a fairly competent president.  Certainly not someone of great moral or ethical virtue and not someone I would expect to do great things (much like her husband or Barack Obama.)  And then there is Bernie Sanders.  Does anyone really think this guy would be an effective president?  I actually like Bermie, his politics are probably more in line with my beliefs than any of the other candidates.  But for fuck's sake, buy a hair brush!  The people of the USA are not going to elect a goofy looking dude from New England to be president.  And lets face it, this guy has no appeal to voters of color, which is the key to any Democratic victory.  

The sad thing is that we might be better off as a nation of the choice was between Martin OMalley and John Kasich.

aw, comon buddy

0xSX4qW.jpg

As to the Democrats...  Hillary is unlikable and carries the stigma of her husband.  The irony is that the Clinton presidency was pretty successful, aside from that whole sex scandal thing.  I think she would probably be a fairly competent president.  Certainly not someone of great moral or ethical virtue and not someone I would expect to do great things (much like her husband or Barack Obama.)  

Hillary Clinton would make excellent use of the office as a vehicle for her committing baffling and unnecessary crimes against the state.

I'm not a huge fan of Bill, but I certainly don't hate the guy. Hillary proved what she was made of in her time as SecState, and I think that's all we need to know.

Hillary Clinton would make excellent use of the office as a vehicle for her committing baffling and unnecessary crimes against the state.

I'm not a huge fan of Bill, but I certainly don't hate the guy. Hillary proved what she was made of in her time as SecState, and I think that's all we need to know.

The strongest argument for Hillary Clinton is that she's so obviously incompetent and increasingly senile that she would immediately buckle under the stress, and everything would actually be done by her charismatic husband.  Sort of a reverse madame Mao situation.

A vote for Hillary is a vote for Slick Bubba Dog!  A vote for Hillary is a vote saying that women can be successful provided that they are puppets of their much more capable husbands!  A vote for Hillary is a vote for the Patriarchy!

As for real politics, I can't wait to see the culling begin amongst the squishy GOPe candidates with Rubio, Bush, Kasich and Christie all scrambling over the same shrinking bloc of voters like passengers on the Titanic fighting over a life jacket.

There can be only one guys!

It'll probably be Rubio. *Snrrrkkk*

Clinton's biggest draw is that she isn't a Republican and isn't an old white guy. 

That and the internal party split between the leftist progressives and the centrists. I think a lot of the "republican with progressive characteristics" democrats are scared by Bernie. Tax reform, fair wages, universal healthcare, and racial justice? And he's gonna do this by closing tax loopholes for corporations/rich people, cutting subsidies to fossil fuel companies and actually raising/creating taxes? They probably think he's gonna make them drive Reliant Robins after confiscating their Lexera.

sigh, i suppose someone had to say something

That and the internal party split between the leftist progressives and the centrists. I think a lot of the "republican with progressive characteristics" democrats are scared by Bernie. Tax reform, fair wages, universal healthcare how will these be paid for, and racial justice in what way will this be instituted? And he's gonna do this by closing tax loopholes for corporations/rich people, cutting subsidies to fossil fuel companies subsidizing the energy that one's country runs on isnt anything new, i dont see why there is a pressing need to discourage production and actually raising/creating taxes? They probably think he's gonna make them drive Reliant Robins after confiscating their Lexera.