Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Christie as a VP?

The reasoning is there. He would more or less just spout off based statements while being held from actual policy making by a barbed wire fence

It is atypical that a Presidential campaign will pick a Pres/Veep from the same or neighboring states, Trump being from New York, Christie New Jersey. Christie is kind of a pariah at the moment as well and there is bad blood from 2012 when he was palling around with Obama when that hurricane hit New Jersey before the election. I actually like Christie by the way.

Honestly, I think Trump is going to have to do something like Ronald Reagan did in 1980 where he - as a conservative - had been ticking off the GOP establishment since 1976. 1980 was also a nasty race. And in order to unify the party he picked a Northeast Establishment Brahmin in George HW Bush in order to placate the Rockefeller wing of the party.

In this scenario, Trump has the choice of placating the moderate Establishment Republicans or the hardcore Conservatives (Rubio or Cruz holdouts). A John Kasich Veep would help him with Ohio (an important swing state) and show the Establishment that he's willing to Make a Deal.

I'm not sure what Conservative he'd choose as VP but I think Cruz is probably out what with all the nonsense that's been spouted over his Canadian birth. 

Christie as a VP?

The reasoning is there. He would more or less just spout off based statements while being held from actual policy making by a barbed wire fence

Attorney General is what people are speculating at this point in time.

Been researching the nomination process for the Republican party. Apparently they can veto a Trump nomination if he has less than 50% of the vote. I'm guessing this is why Carson/Rubio/Cruz are still in despite all. If they left, their voters could go Trump, but if they stay, that's less delegates for Donald.

I've read so many damn "Trump is Riding the Wave of the Populisms!" pieces that when this is all said and done, I want to know who the hell his campaign advisers were and what their strategy was.

Love or hate him, the idea that his rocket-like rise in the polls during the primary have been exclusively the result of demographic and economic happenstance independent of any sort of agency of his campaign team is clearly retarded.  He has a strategy team and their strategy is working.  Future electioneers, take note.  You're seeing winners at work here.

I've read so many damn "Trump is Riding the Wave of the Populisms!" pieces that when this is all said and done, I want to know who the hell his campaign advisers were and what their strategy was.

Love or hate him, the idea that his rocket-like rise in the polls during the primary have been exclusively the result of demographic and economic happenstance independent of any sort of agency of his campaign team is clearly retarded.  He has a strategy team and their strategy is working.  Future electioneers, take note.  You're seeing winners at work here.

It's the same strategy the Rob Ford pulled off up here.  He's appealing to the 'average joe'  level voter successfully. That and the Republican party 'establishment' is a total fucking shitshow right now, not pulling off any significant work and screaming about Obama and a lot of people are fucking sick of it.   They want someone who is going to 'get something done.' and 'respect taxpayers money'. It's a coldly calculated strategy and he's damned close to pulling it off.

Trump's formula is pretty transparent, I think:

1. Aggressively push the media to report on you nonstop, thereby achieving the highest name recognition and familiarity of any candidate. Trump has accomplished this by being basically a clown with no respect for "the rules", which leads into 2.

2. People are really not hot about the "normal candidates", so at every turn mock them, and turn yourself into a parody of them. Trump isn't a political candidate, he's like a parody of one, and I think that's deliberate.

2a. This is also why I think people consistently report Trump as being "more honest" than the other candidates. People have a hard time telling the difference between fantasy and reality, and Trump is giving them an awfully fun fantasy, one where their political candidate is squishy and easy to grasp while being massively entertaining. Despite the fact that Trump is hilariously inconsistent and lies just about every time he opens his mouth, these are lies that don't give the audience a headache, like when Clinton lies. Basically, Clinton lies like a politician, while Trump lies like a Las Vegas showrunner. He lies, but it's fun, and the majority of his audience can't tell the difference between that and honesty.

3. Run a serious campaign in the background to provide follow through, so that after people notice Trump, and become familiar with him, they can justify voting for him.

Pretty simple formula, and one that's been obvious from Day 1. What surprised everyone is that it worked so well. Others have tried this method, but they've never gained momentum.

It's the same strategy the Rob Ford pulled off up here.  He's appealing to the 'average joe'  level voter successfully. That and the Republican party 'establishment' is a total fucking shitshow right now, not pulling off any significant work and screaming about Obama and a lot of people are fucking sick of it.   They want someone who is going to 'get something done.' and 'respect taxpayers money'. It's a coldly calculated strategy and he's damned close to pulling it off.

This is what a lot of people don't understand about tone management. You can't keep up intense tone over a long period of time and not turn off most people out there. It becomes absolutely tiresome to the average person who can forget to just come home and care. When anger is the new hotness, you can get those people who will be angry when they are introduced to it. Maintaining rage like that is just fucking hard when you've got so many other things to do, and are a well-rounded human being.

The right-wing media and poltical machines are being eaten alive by their own Bush-era monsters right now. They thought there'd be no way their angry supporters would stop Freeping and sitting mad in their houses. Then they start fights with the FBI, elect people outside the party comfort zone, and change the prominent right-wing discussion to disastrous things like 6 page budgets and 10% flat tax. The Dems ran into this with trying to appeal to both young liberals and the old Southern racists, which irrevocably changed the party in the '60s.

I think a lot of that is just how bad of a shitshow the Republican party is right now.  He's taking advantage of the fact that none of the establishment republican candidates are star quality candidates. 

I disagree. I think a lot of it is that both Sanders and Clinton are established antichrists to the Republican base, so a lot of people go into it thinking "anything but them". Barack Obama during his candidacy couldn't really pull anything like that, but now that he's been in office, I think a lot of people feel uninspired, like he's a bit of a wet noodle. Sort of a Carter-Reagan dynamic going on there.

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Mitt Romney is weighing in on the 2016 race and is giving a speech on Thursday. Which leads to speculation whether he'll eventually run as a Third Party or Independent candidate should Donald Trump win the nomination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/02/mitt-romney-to-address-the-2016-presidential-campaign-thursday/

Don't these idjits know that the more people like Mitt Romney open their yap, it drives more people into the arms of Trump (or Cruz)?

Hahahahahahahahaha.

Mitt Romney is weighing in on the 2016 race and is giving a speech on Thursday. Which leads to speculation whether he'll eventually run as a Third Party or Independent candidate should Donald Trump win the nomination.

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news/post-politics/wp/2016/03/02/mitt-romney-to-address-the-2016-presidential-campaign-thursday/

Don't these idjits know that the more people like Mitt Romney open their yap, it drives more people into the arms of Trump (or Cruz)?

I think at this point The Republicans are doing damage control. Best case scenario, they can kick out Trump in the convention and he doesn't run independent. Anything else is just damage control