Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

There are lots of sites that claim to be the arbiters of "fact". Snopes is one. It's great for debunking chain emails, but it's considerably less useful for political stuff, for the same reason as PolitiFact. Ultimately, citing a source that just tells you what's "fact" isn't very helpful in political discussions like this (and we all know why). This, by the way, goes for right-wing/libertarian/communist/whatever "fact" sites, too.

I am not trying to censor Snopes from this site, I am trying to discourage bombaring threads with "fact checking" websites because that is a surefire way to start arguments that we've so far avoided. As an aside, most fact-checking websites are utter shite, but that alone isn't why I'm discouraging them (we deal with shit sources elsewhere on the board just fine).

I didn't ever ask you to believe anything Breitbart posts (I don't). I chided you on televising your intellectual purity by hollering about how you're too righteous to even click the link. You don't even have to click the link, Bele, just don't be a fag about it.

The cherry on top here is that you're getting hot and bothered about nothing; the Breitbart article was an extremely straightforward dump of the latest WikiLeaks releases.

Edit: Fuck it, I'm tired and not making sense.

Brietbart is shit.  No other real point than that.

Also, overtired... explain your problem with Snopes. I find them pretty non partisan.

Edit: Fuck it, I'm tired and not making sense.

Brietbart is shit.  No other real point than that.

Also, overtired... explain your problem with Snopes. I find them pretty non partisan.

http://www.snopes.com/hillary-clinton-lost-6-billion-at-state-dept/

$6 billion 'unaccounted for' is not $6 billion 'missing' is quite some mental gymnastics there

"fact" checking websites are a fucking joke because of the interpretation bias by the authors of these articles

This level of anger is pathetic

FIFY

Donald Trump is a doober, always has been, always will be. Having said that, I don't see how taking election fraud seriously is "not respecting the sanctity of our democracy". People thinking this need to get their heads out of their ass.

So that creepy fat guy in the red sweater and molester-stache from the second debate? In real life, he's kind of creepy.

https://www.google.com/amp/nypost.com/2016/10/14/ken-bone-is-actually-kind-of-an-awful-guy/amp/

I only remark on this because the epic of Ken Bone is illustrative of the emotional intelligence of a great many American voters.

Now to a rational human being like myself who has more than half a fucking brain, the guy triggered all the warning signs leftover from my elementary school "Stranger Danger!" kidnap films they made us watch. The guy is a white van and a roll of duct tape away from creating the next missing milk box kid. If it wasn't the sweater and creepy stache, just looking at his mannerisms would show that something was a bit off.

So of course fucking Millenials took to social media spouting off how great he was and how ol Ken Bone should be in the White House and how totally awesome he is.

Not that I hold any animosity against the guy. But if someone like that can be portrayed as a likeable Internet phenomenon by hundreds af thousands of Americanvoters, it is small wonder they can't grasp the complexities of prioritizing what are important issues in an election.

No this post doesn't mean anything.

I'm just being ornery.

I can't say anything nicely tonight so I'll just say that Ken Bone is definitely SNCA, and quote the lyrics of my favorite Ghost song:

Since dawn of time the fate of man is that of lice
Equal as parasites and moving without eyes
A day of reckoning when penance is to burn
Count down together now and say the words that you will learn

Hell Satan, Archangelo
Hell Satan, Welcome year zero
Hell Satan, Archangelo
Hell Satan, Welcome year zero

I just read articles from The American Conservative, Reason, The Intercept, & Jacobin. Even though I might disagree with the views expressed, they are usually well articulated and decently cited. Though you do get some really terrible articles every once in a while.

Every now and again I'll read something in the WaPo, Foreign Policy, National Review, or even the NYT, but I try to stay away esp from writes/journos that I know are BS artists.

I try to stay away from what I view as clickbait sites like Vox/HuffPo/Salon/Buzzfeed/etc on the left and Breitbart/Drudge/Gateway/etc on the right. There is just so much trash that any reputable story they have is probably so covered in metaphorical shit making determining what is true and what isn't impossible.

Jacobin opining on video games and watching Dreher have a meltdown every week are two of the best things on the Internet.

Billion.

6 BILLION. :angry:

That's about 2% of our GDP that didn't get properly accounted for. And here we're still going ballistic about $18-odd million that our president used om upgrades for his home.

This makes me think that we're fucking pikers compared to what goes on in US gov.

Best quote from China Matters:

I find the spectacle of liberals heroically mounting the barricades against Trump-fascism rather amusing.

For one thing, liberals don’t crush fascism.

Liberals appease fascism, then they exploit fascism.

In between there’s a great big war, where communists crush fascism.

That’s pretty much the lesson of WWII.

Over/under on the amount of times state department employees have been rickrolled/goatsed? Taking bets now.