Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

2016 Presidential Election Thread Archive

Tied

Some radio jackass was talking about how it's all good with this latest scandal, cause Obama can just pardon Hillary for any crimes on his way out. I say if that happens, the poop could hit the fan, not in a big way though. 

My internal cynic says it would be in a big way. My internal cynic is not exactly an oracle, but I take what it says seriously.

It's most likely going to be a nothing burger. Comey pretty much admitted that even he was covering his own ass by rushing out the letter before election day so it would seem like he was witholding information.

If you don't think this election has brought the US closer to civil unrest, then watch that video and give yourself a good long time to think about it.

I do not think Adams is correct in everything he says, and I think he over-relies on his persuasion theory. I do think, though, that he's right about this. If Clinton wins, it will take a collective act of incredible virtue on the part of conservatives to not start an insurgency.

What on Earth has Dilbertman ever done or said that I should have the confidence in that he's right about this? What should I believe if the guy who wrote Beetle Bailey says the government's gonna gas us in our sleep? Do you honestly see your average jackoff quitting their job, loading up their guns, coordinating the logistics of a large-scale terrorist organization and just attacking military or civilian targets? Or do these things that people like DIlbertman say exist to make us feel like we're part of something bigger? I feel like if the average person would say "If Hillary wins, odds are the Right will buckle down and barricade progress in different areas of the government," and I feel like if I were to even disagree with that, it's reasonable and possible. It just feels more satisfying and makes us feel more important to say "if this candidate wins, we'll all be mass-murdering each other and fighting the government."

Rolling Stone did an article on this sort of thing recently where they interviewed neurologists and other scientists who studied physiological and behavioral developments in people who followed the 24-hour news cycle, and results were interesting. People who followed the cycle tended to be more anxious and quick to anger, while areas of the brain that respond to "fear" (more as anxiety) noticeably swelled in response to attempts by internet/cable/radio news to instill fear or (more accurately) anxiety to get people scared and coming back for more. But when they were cut off from this type of media and their echo chambers, their behavior tended to revert. They were less anxious and their neurological make-up responded in kind. 

Hell, Gingrich confirmed it recently when he got into that ridiculous debate where he basically said "People may be statistically safer, but they don't feel safer." The point he was arguing was dumb, but overall, he was kind of objectively right in that sense. I've been reading Terrorist Next Door by Daniel Levitas off and on since the Bundamentalist thing, and you'd be surprised to hear the kind of thing that would happen back in the day. Post-WW2 in the South, there was a rash of synagogue and black church bombings that went completely ignored. Take into account things like the civil rights movement and pushback, The Red Scare, and other social unrest that sometimes resulted in localized violence, and it feels silly to think that we're going to have some kind of Civil War because Black Lives Matter blocked a road or some Trump supporters slapped some people or a person that people don't like becomes president seems really silly.

It's most likely going to be a nothing burger. Comey pretty much admitted that even he was covering his own ass by rushing out the letter before election day so it would seem like he was witholding information.

What on Earth has Dilbertman ever done or said that I should have the confidence in that he's right about this? What should I believe if the guy who wrote Beetle Bailey says the government's gonna gas us in our sleep? Do you honestly see your average jackoff quitting their job, loading up their guns, coordinating the logistics of a large-scale terrorist organization and just attacking military or civilian targets? Or do these things that people like DIlbertman say exist to make us feel like we're part of something bigger? I feel like if the average person would say "If Hillary wins, odds are the Right will buckle down and barricade progress in different areas of the government," and I feel like if I were to even disagree with that, it's reasonable and possible. It just feels more satisfying and makes us feel more important to say "if this candidate wins, we'll all be mass-murdering each other and fighting the government."

I think you're largely misinterpreting what I was saying (that's OK; I was being somewhat vague). I think Adams is right about how people feel, and how people feel matters quite a lot to whether there's civil unrest or not. Just look at the history of Muslim terror attacks and the motivations of those people. Is it because they were starving, or downtrodden, or seriously oppressed? No, it was because of how they felt.

Note that I said "civil unrest" not "a civil war." The strongest language I used was "an insurgency". A full-blown civil war or breakdown of order would surprise me. A dramatic increase in right-wing rampage shootings, bombings, etc? That wouldn't if those people feel cut off enough from the zeitgeist of the country.

Then I overshot because I just hear it a lot, so sorry if it came off as combative. I do think we're hitting a bit of a generational gap right now and things in general are just gonna be loud and crowded until the boomers thankfully die off. Until then, it's going to be a miserable 10+ years of their retirement. I've so far been propagated by two different militia guys (once at the museum, once at a gun store) who worked in the "second civil war" line, so I've genuinely heard it. I love living and working in Pennsyltuckey especially when it comes to the scenery, but the social interactions leave a lot to be desired.

Then I overshot because I just hear it a lot, so sorry if it came off as combative. I do think we're hitting a bit of a generational gap right now and things in general are just gonna be loud and crowded until the boomers thankfully die off. Until then, it's going to be a miserable 10+ years of their retirement. I've so far been propagated by two different militia guys (once at the museum, once at a gun store) who worked in the "second civil war" line, so I've genuinely heard it. I love living and working in Pennsyltuckey especially when it comes to the scenery, but the social interactions leave a lot to be desired.

Oh, believe you me, I've heard the shit about the "Second American Revolution" more times than I can count. I'm not really talking about that. More like "bad times friend ahead"; at least that's what my internal cynic is currently freaking out about.

Fun stuff from noted hippie idiot Jill Stein's reddit AMA today, Link:

"Nuclear power is dirty, dangerous, expensive, and obsolete. ... And the depleted uranium ammunition used by our military is now sickening people in the Middle East." (Currently at 1,924 downvotes)

"A number of scientific studies have raised red flags about possible health effects of WiFi radiation on young children. ... There is not enough information to know." (Currently at 733 downvotes)

"Nuclear power is dirty, dangerous, expensive, and obsolete. ... And the depleted uranium ammunition used by our military is now sickening people in the Middle East." (Currently at 1,924 downvotes)

"A number of scientific studies have raised red flags about possible health effects of WiFi radiation on young children. ... There is not enough information to know." (Currently at 733 downvotes)

To quote Colli. "Hippies ruin everything."

Stein is a pretty good argument for that.

Hey, these are her most loyal voter base.

So lemme get this straight.  The FBI has emails on Anthony Weiners computer from his wife that they *think* are somehow related to the Hillary email scandal but they have not actually read them.  They don't even know if any of the emails are from HRC.  And yet they make a big announcement about it 11 days before an election?  I'm guessing that if HRC wins the election, her relationship with the FBI is going to be a bit frosty.  

So lemme get this straight.  The FBI has emails on Anthony Weiners computer from his wife that they *think* are somehow related to the Hillary email scandal but they have not actually read them.  They don't even know if any of the emails are from HRC.  And yet they make a big announcement about it 11 days before an election?  I'm guessing that if HRC wins the election, her relationship with the FBI is going to be a bit frosty.  

I've seen some speculation that the FBI director may have violated a couple of obscure US laws and may be subject to removal from his job.  I'll see if I can find a link.

I've seen some speculation that the FBI director may have violated a couple of obscure US laws and may be subject to removal from his job.  I'll see if I can find a link.

http://www.businessinsider.com/hatch-act-james-comey-richard-painter-2016-10

Hatch Act violation?  Guy bringing the complaint is a former G.W. Bush ethics lawyer.