Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Ending and consuming lifeforms

Oedipus Wreckx-n-Effect

This is a thread about hunting, fishing, and otherwise obtaining wild animals for sustenance or other purposes. 

I have fished and hunted a ton throughout my life. I can give you guys some great jerky recipes if so interested. 

This is also a place to make fun of hunters. Because hunters are people too, and thus stupid. 

This is a place to make fun of the "I gotta git mah three hundred mangum  fer mah white-tail", the "Damned black rifles ain't sportin", the "if you ain't spendin' $10,000 to kill a deer ya ain't really huntin'", people. 

Because, my GOD. I hate that shit. I can't stand hunting shows. I can't stand the people that take it super seriously. I can't stand the people that don't clean their own kill or wait hours to get the skin off of the deer. 

Then they complain about the "Gamey" taste of the meat. No shit you idiot. 

Hunters can be so incredibly stupid, it's absurd. So flame away guys. 

Because hunting is simple, 90% luck, and 10% common sense. 

TOXN TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING TRIGGER WARNING

It's Thanksgiving, and I spent some time in a blind on a small piece of property my family owns. Went out today with my m44. My girlfriend went with me. But that's beside the point. Took a doe. A very fat doe. The fattest damned doe I've ever skinned out. 

We skinned it out and put the meat on ice (What meat was left, really). Two back straps, two hams, and tender loins. Left the shoulders, since it wouldn't have been worth trying to salvage them. 

203 Grain Brown Bear soft points, destroyed both shoulders and lungs through the rib cage. It took about 20 steps, and I found it in the woods just a short distance. 

Deer run when shot. I've only ever had one deer ever drop within a few yards of where I'd shot it. And it was with a 30-30 (Don't tell Sturgeon). I've tracked deer for 100+ yards that didn't have lungs or a heart anymore. 

Distance was about 70 yards (or 800 yards in George Hill metrics).

Bayonet was out. It had to be, in case the beast charged me. 

15182517_10210801449288262_2147377570_o.

Just screwing with you. Would have been more appropriate had I killed a hog.

I'm sure south African game is a bit nastier than our tame little pets here in the states.

A little secret: most people who hunt here can't afford to shoot anything too spectacular.

Most of the guys I know who hunt will go shoot a springbok (~110lb) or impala (~130lb) each season from a hide or the back of a bakkie, and talk endlessly about the one time they shot a prime kudu bull during a stalk hunt.

And yeah, most of them do the former two with .308 or .30-06. Some things never change I guess.

You'll have to give me a recipe, then. Im sure the meat consistency is close to that of our white tail deer.

Aka, super lean and a bit tough.

The way I do it at the moment is to soak the meat in buttermilk in the fridge for a few days, and then prepare it like I do lamb (but with extra butter or lard stuffed into the holes). The buttermilk really helps, and larding the meat makes it work really well for the sort of all-in-one roasts I am fond of.

A lot of people I know skip the roast entirely and go for biltong, so I can scare up a vast amount of recipes for you there.

I took it's collar off before we took the picture.

Texas deer are tiny creatures. Which makes it even funnier when people insist on using 7mm Magnum on 100 pound deer at less than 100 yards.

This one was around 130 pounds.

It varies for us in Washington. The coast deer aren't really even worth shooting and there are a lot of scrawny Blacktail. But they do get decent sized and of course we have the Mule deer which are large. Got zero experience hunting Eastern Washington white tail but will probably rectify that hopefully next year.

I have only ever hunted in East Texas when it comes to deer. I've done various bird hunting before. That's a bit more dynamic. In E. Texas, the woods are dense and the undergrowth is loud. There's no "Stalking". You find a spot where the deer would be, and you sit and wait. 

Some people spend a ton of money to sit and wait. You can watch the game, have nice air conditioning, play a game of cards, and then eventually shoot a deer and have a team of mexicans cut it up for you. 

Game ranches have truly one-upped old safari hunts. 

giant-hunting-blind-1024x768.jpg

Southeast Texas and along the Red River are good spots for decent white tail. It's literally hog heaven for hogs up past Bonham. I've a friend in Telephone with a few thousand acres that include about a mile of river frontage and a pecan farm. Good spot up there when I have time. When I get the time, I pretty much always use my Marlin 336 for no particular reason other than I like shooting it. 

On a related hunting with a 30-30 note, has anyone used those polymer tipped rounds? Sales gimmick or no?

I have not yet. The Remington CoreLokt has been mine and my lil bro's go to Thuddy-Thuddy round for no good reason other than price and availability.

I keep meaning to but... *shrug*... real life gets in the way.

Core-Lokt is like a hammer. Sure, you could buy one of those fancy schmancy lightweight carbon fiber deals with the stainless head and polymer handle... But why when the rusty old wood-handled crow's foot thing that came with the house hammers just as well?

Pretty much.

I thought I had replied to this.

On a related hunting with a 30-30 note, has anyone used those polymer tipped rounds? Sales gimmick or no? 

Downrange energy retention (175 yards or more) seems to be better. That and accuracy. But I don't know anyone using their lever guns at that distance. 

Southeast Texas and along the Red River are good spots for decent white tail. It's literally hog heaven for hogs up past Bonham. I've a friend in Telephone with a few thousand acres that include about a mile of river frontage and a pecan farm. Good spot up there when I have time. When I get the time, I pretty much always use my Marlin 336 for no particular reason other than I like shooting it. 

Yeah, that's about three hours north of where I was. I've mostly spent my time in Davy Crockett national forest and the surrounding area. Pine woods. 

Hogs are bad. My dad begs me to bring my two ARs and help him take care of them whenever I come into town.