Sturgeon's House

Yeah, I think the British hatred of flash hiders came from the idea that flash hiders were these things like grenade attachments that you mounted to the rifle only sometimes, such as when operating at dusk or at night. And some of the early flash hiders were pretty large and heavy.

What is really bizarre to me is that the Brits had already fielded the very successful No. 5 Carbine, which had a pinned on flash hider that was not terribly heavy. But maybe they believed this was not compatible with bayonet fighting or something stupid like that?

2 hours ago, Sturgeon said:

Yeah, I think the British hatred of flash hiders came from the idea that flash hiders were these things like grenade attachments that you mounted to the rifle only sometimes, such as when operating at dusk or at night. And some of the early flash hiders were pretty large and heavy.

What is really bizarre to me is that the Brits had already fielded the very successful No. 5 Carbine, which had a pinned on flash hider that was not terribly heavy. But maybe they believed this was not compatible with bayonet fighting or something stupid like that?

It's a borderline forgivable delusion to be under in the early 1950s.  I'm actually not sure on how they managed to remain so ignorant of subsequent developments that they still thought the same thing thirty years later.

12 minutes ago, Collimatrix said:

It's a borderline forgivable delusion to be under in the early 1950s.  I'm actually not sure on how they managed to remain so ignorant of subsequent developments that they still thought the same thing thirty years later.

For the record, they weren't the only ones. The flash hiders and grenade launchers on Stgw. 90s are also milled out of the barrel.

1 minute ago, Sturgeon said:

For the record, they weren't the only ones. The flash hiders and grenade launchers on Stgw. 90s are also milled out of the barrel.

Oh, good.  So they were on the same page of arms design as the country that has fought literally nobody since 1847.

On 7/31/2017 at 2:23 PM, D.E. Watters said:

Is the EM2 receiver an entirely machined piece, or is it merely a machined section solely for the barrel trunnion and locking abutments, encased in a stamping?  Say like a StG44?

I'm still not sure what that little piece in front of the receiver is, but it is clearly a separate piece, and it is none too securely attached:

Go to 14:02 when Ian's hand brushes against it.

So, it would appear that the actual machined receiver of the EM-2 only goes from the stock to about the forward edge of the rear strut of the carry handle.  That's still way too big.

This also brings up the question of exactly what the optical sight is attached to.  The cross-section is a bit ambiguous:

DgRJfU7.jpg?1

(I think that "7mm x 45mm" is a typo, but I'm not sure.  By that point in the program they were making up new 7mm cartridges like they were pokemon or something.)

The EM-2's atrocious accuracy problems in the 1950 tests are often attributed to bad ammo.  While the ammo definitely was shit, and the .280 needed a lot more development in order to not suck, I am not convinced that the rifle had great potential for accuracy.

The barrel was also quite thin, and as you can see from the cross-section, decidedly not free-floated.  

According to a number of threads in various modelling fora, a fix is available for the Photobucket issue for the Chrome & Firefox browsers:  http://www.modelcarsmag.com/forums/topic/125705-photobucket-fix/

Sorry if this isn't the right place, it was the most recent occurrence of the PB problem I could find.

On 9/11/2017 at 4:44 PM, Sturgeon said:

I want to know how they made the receiver.

We now have more information on this matter.  Further EM-2 content is incoming soon(ish).

In the meantime, have a picture:

8u2XOXt.jpg

This is rifle number nine of batch number three, which according to the Collector's Grade book on the EM-2 was Stephan Jansen's personal rifle.  This picture was taken mere minutes before some absolute idiot tried to demonstrate how the firing pin shroud cams the locking flaps out, not realizing that this would cause the locking flaps to lock in the outward position so that the bolt would not fit back into the rifle.

2 minutes ago, xthetenth said:

Is that permanent? I can't imagine a thought process by which that would be irrevocable, but that's not what this thread is for.

No we fixed it. But it had us sweating there for a while.