Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Improvised Weapons Thread

Sturgeon

That's a good point.

In my diy builds and experiments I often find and order existing parts that are 95% of the way to what I need, then alter them to fit my needs and purposes. These are often quite divergent from what they were originally intended to do, but it's not improvised.

Nor is it hardware hacking!!

It's just the most sensible way to do some stuff when you don't have unlimited time and funds.

For example: My current fun gun project has parts from 4+ production guns and an eclectic basket of repurposed aftermarket gun parts...

If I can get the one really cool feature of the build to work out right I'd happily put it head to head against any production firearm in it's class except possibly the Kris's Vector. Though even the Vector would be looking pretty pale against this freaky little mutant!

Speaking of which Sturgeon, I'm hoping I've figured out a way to bump up the power level of ammunition which a compact machine pistol can use and still be controllable. (While still being both affordable, robust, simple, and actually compact)

Needless to say that version 1.0 will not be giggle switch compatible, but I'll know pretty much right away from semiautomatic testing whether it COULD be controlled in full auto.

There are ways, one of the ones I've been thinking about being the recoilless principle. No reason you couldn't make a full auto RR.

The Germans had a design for a fully automatic 55mm recoilless gun (for aircraft mounting). Think is was called the MK 112 or 115 (would link, but phone posting). Might be something about it in the aerospace documents thread.

Edit: It's the MK 115 http://www.deutscheluftwaffe.de/archiv/Dokumente/ABC/m/MK%20115/mk%20115%20%20motorkanone.html

Sturgeon,

Yeah really what's surprised me is just how many ways there are that are essentially low hanging fruit.

My particular solution is treading down a well trod path and really just started out as me having a fascination with the Argentine MPA machine pistol, Robinson's work, and some poking around my spare parts bins etc.

From there several wouldn't it be cool if... Conversations turned into wait a second that'd actually be pretty easy to implement using x, y, and q conversations.

I think I've spent $80 so far beyond the stuff I already have on hand, and even if I totally fail I'll have only "wasted" the $45 worth of strike industries parts I'm altering to be something other than what I bought them as.

On the other hand if I succeed... It could potentially be something worth making kits for etc to defray costs on my big projects.

Especially since the "industry heavyweights" in this particular market segment are masterpiece and excel arms... Hardly paragons of quality manufacturing and top tier products honestly.

I'm curious, what is it that you are working on?

Sturgeon,

Yeah really what's surprised me is just how many ways there are that are essentially low hanging fruit.

My particular solution is treading down a well trod path and really just started out as me having a fascination with the Argentine MPA machine pistol, Robinson's work, and some poking around my spare parts bins etc.

From there several wouldn't it be cool if... Conversations turned into wait a second that'd actually be pretty easy to implement using x, y, and q conversations.

I think I've spent $80 so far beyond the stuff I already have on hand, and even if I totally fail I'll have only "wasted" the $45 worth of strike industries parts I'm altering to be something other than what I bought them as.

On the other hand if I succeed... It could potentially be something worth making kits for etc to defray costs on my big projects.

Especially since the "industry heavyweights" in this particular market segment are masterpiece and excel arms... Hardly paragons of quality manufacturing and top tier products honestly.

Basically I'm doing a version of the prototype MPA machine pistol from Argentina. (You can see an article on the gun at TFB from a few days ago)

I'm not doing it anywhere close to the same way as the original, but I should be able to get a very similar look.

The secret sauce is gonna be in the buffer system and some other little things I'm doing.

Mostly it's just a good time burning project / way to use up a cz-26 SMG parts kit, a 0% AR15 lower forging, and a handful of other items on something interesting and crazy.

Unless of course it turns into something awesome...

Then I'm gonna sell the shit out of the little bastards.

Toxn has a point kinda... After all you don't pull out your mach 3 razor cartridge refills and proudly tell people how they were made from a battleship.

That said, the same guy has also made a steel frame for a glock, and they even offered kits so you too could have your very own sheet metal glock frame...

As I recall the whole glock frame thing was strictly a way to get around stupid laws in some states.

• 2 months later...

Colli,

The Philco Ford method with 3 or 4 documents available on DTIC about it?

I personally tend to just call green mountain or Sarco inc and buy blanks or etc... But I also have a CNC lathe.

I found one the other day I'm hoping someone from the Russian contingent can link to more information about it.

5.45 AR thing

I found this the other other day and decided I need two...

My armory is like the land of mutant toys already so why the hell not a tube gun AR74