ANALIZA NUMERYCZNA EFEKTYWNOŚCI SIATKOWYCH SYSTEMÓW
OCHRONY POJAZDÓW PRZED POCISKAMI KUMULACYJNYMI
NUMERICAL ANALYSIS OF EFFECTIVENESS FOR VEHICLE NET SYSTEMS
PROTECTING AGAINST SHAPED CHARGE PROJECTILES

slides from pdf:

0BNVJ6t.jpg

ZZwPX1I.jpg

Pmu89pI.jpg

There also is AMAP-P, but it might have been discontinued or the development was never finished. At least later AMAP brochures from IBD and Rheinmetall Chempro's website don't list AMAP-P anymore:

GYZ2KrB.jpg

SZk58wY.png

yvHcUxp.png

Quoted weight is lower than slat armor and comparable to net armor, it defeats RPGs by "disabling the warhead of a RPG by destroying or short-circuiting the ignition circuit."

• 1 year later...

Quick question (apologies if off topic): Have there been any recorded tests/computer simulations of a tandem charge warhead impacting slat armor?

For some reason I'm in an argument with someone who appears to sincerely believe that the precursor charge being intercepted means that the main charge is rendered a dud as well.

36 minutes ago, Krieger22 said:

Quick question (apologies if off topic): Have there been any recorded tests/computer simulations of a tandem charge warhead impacting slat armor?

For some reason I'm in an argument with someone who appears to sincerely believe that the precursor charge being intercepted means that the main charge is rendered a dud as well.

Sounds like you are arguing with a drooling moron.

:P

4 minutes ago, Belesarius said:

Sounds like you are arguing with a drooling moron.

:P

Considering that the argument stems from "I want an out from a situation where the enemy is no longer engaging me from my composite and ERA-protected frontal arc, but now has shots on the rear arc of my vehicle", I'm inclined to agree.

Still curious, though.

3 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

It's possible but depends on quite a few variables, both from the warheads and armour.

How are the warheads fused? Do the fuses stay intact? Is there enough distance between the slat armour and main armour to make the main warhead hit the slats? Are the slats strong enough to still damage the main warhead after the precursor has passed through?

I can do some simulations after my workstation has arrived, which will probably take a few weeks.

5 hours ago, Krieger22 said:

I don`t know why the question did not come to my head early since the cage/net-armor thing isn`t exactly new an can be seen everywhere at least since the Strykers:
What about PG-7VR, RPG29 etc. Precharge slipping through but the main charge is destroyed or is the "sting" long enough to make contact with the main armor ( or for ex. a Pzf3-IT 600 seems to have an exorbitant long one) ? Would new generations of PG-7 rockets with a "hardend" front render the whole idea useless? 

• 5 months later...
  • 11 months later...

I hope this is the right thread.

So to counter ERA, then HEAT warhead often have an additional tandem charge so either penetrate the ERA or detonate ERA tiles.

But what is there any way for HEAT warhead to counter chain and cage armor? 

For example: what happened if 

This

agm-114-hellfire-001.jpg

hit something like this? 

89osi5vz6zhy.jpg

For the sake of discussion, let assume the missile hit the tank where there is a cage or chain cover it 

1 hour ago, Ronny said:

I hope this is the right thread.

So to counter ERA, then HEAT warhead often have an additional tandem charge so either penetrate the ERA or detonate ERA tiles.

But what is there any way for HEAT warhead to counter chain and cage armor? 

For example: what happened if 

This

agm-114-hellfire-001.jpg

hit something like this? 

89osi5vz6zhy.jpg

For the sake of discussion, let assume the missile hit the tank where there is a cage or chain cover it 

Missiles usually are heavier than RPGs and can push through chains before detonating. If they detonate, their warheads are also tend to be heavier and have more punch, so chains have low (or any at all) effect on ATGMs.

In case of cages situation is not too different for ATGMs. RPGs that counter cages exists for long time - for example late Soviet RPGs (forgot which model exactly got it first) have inertial fuze that actives in moment when rocket is slowed down by obsticle, negotiating effect of cage armor (catching RPG round with nose fuze not touching anything and leaving RPG unexploded, happens in ~50% chance IIRC).

In case shown on pics T-72 Adra will be most likely penetrated by that ATGM, as this protection kit have noticeable positive effect only against RPGs.

26 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

In case of cages situation is not too different for ATGMs. RPGs that counter cages exists for long time - for example late Soviet RPGs (forgot which model exactly got it first) have inertial fuze that actives in moment when rocket is slowed down by obsticle, negotiating effect of cage armor (catching RPG round with nose fuze not touching anything and leaving RPG unexploded, happens in ~50% chance IIRC).

Wait a second,

I thought the purpose of the cage and chain armor is to detonate HEAT warhead early so they can't form a proper shaped jet and thus reduce their penetration? 

how can the chain catch RPG round?

24 minutes ago, Ronny said:

I thought the purpose of the cage and chain armor is to detonate HEAT warhead early

Nope. The cage neutralizes the piezo fuze of RPGs by shorting the inner cone and the outer cone (vua crushing the outer inwards). Missiles with full width fuzes will detonate, and while the jet may suffer a bit from the increased standoff it's still gonna function.

TOW_Warhead.gif

For example, the OG TOW warhead, which as you can see has a full width crush fuze. And has terrible built in standoff, so a cage would likely improve its performance.

8 hours ago, N-L-M said:

Nope. The cage neutralizes the piezo fuze of RPGs by shorting the inner cone and the outer cone (vua crushing the outer inwards). Missiles with full width fuzes will detonate, and while the jet may suffer a bit from the increased standoff it's still gonna function.

TOW_Warhead.gif

For example, the OG TOW warhead, which as you can see has a full width crush fuze. And has terrible built in standoff, so a cage would likely improve its performance.

How about the chains armor?