Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Star Trek or 40k ?

Howdy Folks

A few weeks ago, Blackhorse_Three posed the following questions on the WOT forum ...

In your opinion, will the future of man be more like Gene Rodenberry's utopian vision, or more like the dystopian universe of Warhammer 40k?

If you were to put some of the great science fiction stories of the future (or of a galaxy a long time ago and far, far away) on the timeline of human societal evolution, how would you do it?

:)

First, this belongs in fiction.

Second, this is a retarded topic.

Sorry ... I'm new here

Don't reckon that I'll ever make that mistake again.

What with you being Admin and all, I'm sure you can move it to the appropriate location?

Or Delete it ... It is your house, after all ...

Maybe rephrase it? "Would the future be more like Star Trek or WH40K" is a silly question, but you're probably getting at something more specific that could be a good topic. Like, "do you think the future will get less or more violent?" Am I on the right track?

I'll move it in a bit, currently wrestling with my display drivers.

I think Star Trek's super happy post scarcity space utopia is unrealistic, but assuming we get our asses off the planet the future's probably gonna be closer to that than 40k. As a general trend, life has been continuing to get better as time goes on (with a few hiccups), and I don't see any intrinsic reason why that won't be true in the future barring a catastrophic lack of resources or major (multiplanetary) catastrophe.

FWIW I'm not really a fan of Star Trek or 40k, though the new Trek movies aren't terrible attempts at action movies set in space.

I demand a society filled with discoveries of new planets that are based entirely on what costumes and sets are leftover from the Desilu Studios backlot. A future with a Western world. A Nazi planet. A Roman Empire planet. A 1920s gangster planet. A Greek god planet. This intermingled with scantily clad women and mid-1960s morality plays.

Howdy Folks

A few weeks ago, Blackhorse_Three posed the following questions on the WOT forum ...

In your opinion, will the future of man be more like Gene Rodenberry's utopian vision, or more like the dystopian universe of Warhammer 40k?

If you were to put some of the great science fiction stories of the future (or of a galaxy a long time ago and far, far away) on the timeline of human societal evolution, how would you do it?

:)

Why not both?

https://1d4chan.org/wiki/Setting:Brighthammer_40,000/2nd_edition