Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

After the introduction of the M1A1, some additional modifications were considered as Block product improvements. Approved by the Army Vice Chief of Staff on 1 February 1985 and reevaluated in August of that year, some of these changes were scheduled for incorporation into the M1A1 production tanks starting in late 1988. With these new features, the tank was nicknamed the M1A1+.   Improved armor protection was obtained with a new special armor incorporating depleted uranium. This feature was introduced into the M1A1 production starting in October 1988. The new armor greatly increased the penetration resistance particularly against kinetic energy rounds.
On 14 December 1988, General Dynamics Land Systems Division was awarded a contract for the full scale development of the improved Abrams. Scheduled for fielding in 1992, this vehicle, to be designated as the 120mm gun tank M1A2.

R. P. Hunnicutt, Abrams: A History of the American Main Battle Tank, Vol. 2

48 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

Wasn't it always supposed to be Trophy-HV for M1, Iron Fist for Bradley/Stryker/other APCs and Iron Curtain for Humvees and whatever remains?

I'm more interested in whether they are anywhere close to trying out that autoloader experiment (probably Meggitt's AL; the XM91 was most likely tailored for the CATTB turret rather than the base M1A1) that they hinted at a couple weeks ago. Sounds very ambitious.

@Collimatrix: They probably expect Trophy-HV to "plug" that hole.

@Walter_Sobchak: You're not the first one to make that observation. :D The M32 ARAT-2 has to be one of the thinnest ERA packages I've ever seen.

sWTIf7il.jpg

@Ramlaen: do you have a source for the pics?

EDIT: no high-res pics, but more details on the mounting process: https://www.army.mil/article/183479/1st_bn_66th_armor_regt_install_abram_reactive_armor_tiles

@ 2:03 Looks like USAR is sending its ERA (from base to base) through DHL... Isn't that a violation of the ToS? :mellow:

...Yes, I know those are most likely inert ERA tiles or mockups built for formation/training. I just needed a small chuckle this morning. ^_^

21 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

@ 2:03 Looks like USAR is sending its ERA (from base to base) through DHL... Isn't that a violation of the ToS? :mellow:

...Yes, I know those are most likely inert ERA tiles or mockups built for formation/training. I just needed a small chuckle this morning. ^_^

Why would that be? DHL can transport Class 1 Explosives, although it does not ship "Munitions of War". ERA isn't a type of ammunition, so they'll ship it.

Actually, ERA will be in the safest category since it's extremely insensitive (Class 1.6N).