Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

On 10/24/2017 at 12:17 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

After Trophy, the next key technology in the Abrams will be an IronVision-like HMD, displaying a full real-time picture on a simplified HUD. 

Army’s next-gen tank will be see-through with advanced sensors

Bwahaha...

Uncooled IR... new techniques... Called it WHAT!?

This has some very real potential to be freakishly awesome or a raging flaming goat rope of epic stature...

Nowhere between the two though.

And I'd bet dollars to donuts that they're going to be at least mildly hyperspectral rather than a straight chunk of the IR band (ie swir mwir lwir)

5 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

Pretty sure tank commanders will still unbutton.....Systems like this provide an enhanced 2d view of a 3d environment, which is nice as an option, but little more IMHO.

A set of cameras gives a 2d view but eyes give a 3d view? I'm confused.

I personally can't see the difference between a panoramic camera view with selectable angles and plain eyesight.

Tell me I'm not sick.

On ‎28‎/‎10‎/‎2017 at 9:55 PM, Mighty_Zuk said:

A set of cameras gives a 2d view but eyes give a 3d view? I'm confused.

I personally can't see the difference between a panoramic camera view with selectable angles and plain eyesight.

Tell me I'm not sick.

You know how you sometimes notice something out of the corner of your eye.....Not sure you'd get that with optics. 

On the other hand, I suppose, you don't get thermal imaging with the Mk.I eyeball.

12 hours ago, Sgt.Squarehead said:

You know how you sometimes notice something out of the corner of your eye.....Not sure you'd get that with optics. 

On the other hand, I suppose, you don't get thermal imaging with the Mk.I eyeball.

You can still notice something at the corner of your eye on a flat screen. Ever played FPS? 

Humans are good at tracking moving objects at the edge of their vision, be at on a screen or physical object. 

I haven't been able find much but it looks like those airdrop tests for the LAV-25A2 happened in late October.

Other tests underway at ABNSOTD include an airdrop certification of the Joint Light Tactical Vehicle (JLTV), the chosen replacement vehicle for the Humvee and the Light Armored Vehicle (LAV-25A2) Mobile Protective Firepower (MPF). Highly-instrumented test drops by ABNSOTD will help test overall survivability of the vehicles in combat.

7mB67RX.jpg