Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

7 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

Is it just me or does the idea of a pick-up truck made by volkswagon make you want to puke in your mouth a little?  I'm sorry, it's not a pick-up truck, it's a "lifestyle utility vehicle."

https://www.engadget.com/2018/03/28/volkswagen-goes-full-america-with-its-truck-concept/#/

A truck for show and not hauling a load of something that would get it dirty.

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

So many US SHORAD systems being looked at and tested right now has me a bit amiss on what might actually be adopted.  This is the first time I think I've seen the above, and I want to say there's two other systems based on the JLTV (one similar to the above and the other with the Avenger turret.)

But I suppose another thread here might be more appropriate to continue in.

18 minutes ago, Meplat said:

It's not like they really wear out.  

(or saw enough use to wear out).

I suppose so.  Ian seemed to like it well enough in his Forgotten Weapons video where he fired one.  I suppose it's a better option than a pistol.   How many grease guns were US tanks equipped with?  I seem to remember reading that during the Iraq war that US tankers only had two M4 carbines per vehicle, meaning two of the crew had to use pistols if they were operating dismounted.  Am I remembering this correctly?

1 minute ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

I suppose so.  Ian seemed to like it well enough in his Forgotten Weapons video where he fired one.  I suppose it's a better option than a pistol.   How many grease guns were US tanks equipped with?  I seem to remember reading that during the Iraq war that US tankers only had two M4 carbines per vehicle, meaning two of the crew had to use pistols if they were operating dismounted.  Am I remembering this correctly?

I remember speaking with a M1 crewman who said the same thing. He also said it just depends on the crew. 

10 hours ago, Walter_Sobchak said:

At least one, usually near the driver.  I used to (used to) have a few  "loadout" books describing what was authorized/required on U.S. armor dating from the early 80's, and I remember just about every armored vehicle seemed to have one M3A1 stowed.  (Lesson for the day-"Don't loan out manuals, regardless of how mundane. People will run off with the weirdest shit").

I still have some docs for the M88 ARV, and it shows stowage for the M3A1.

As to the piece,( other than the mags,) they are one of the simplest SMG's you could hand to a poorly/hastily/utterly uninterested in learning how to use it  individual, and have it still be reasonably effective.

The mags are a dual column,single feed, which makes loading them a pain. Luckily, the loading tool is a part of the gun.  As is the cleaning rod, barrel wrench, oil bottle, etc..

If I remember correctly, we were issued 2 M3A1s per tank. I swear that picture could have been from a unit I was in. At least we did look like that in 1984 when I was in Germany, C Co 1/70 AR part of 4th BDE 4th ID in Wiesbaden. Dirty winter coveralls and rubber boots, check.

We had a M3A1 get eaten by the turret monster once, bent it to about a 90 degree angle. Turned it in to the armorer, he just shrugged and told us that they wouldn't even charge us for the damages. The grease gun was so cheap the Army didn't care if one was destroyed.

Another time I was in a small arms demonstration class (in1987) and got into an argument with the sergeant instructor about the grease gun, he was saying that they weren't in use any more, & I was telling him that I was issued one just a few months earlier. 

Whoever wrote this article seems to have a misguided impression of how the M7 was used; https://dailygazette.com/article/2018/04/09/m7-day-75th-anniversary-of-schenectady-s-wartime-celebration

The British needed a weapon that could contend with the German army's fearsome 88-millimeter gun. ALCO, which& was already building medium-sized tanks for the Allies, began turning out the M7.

The tank killer offered fury and power: The 105-millimeter gun could hit targets 7 miles away.

The M7s were an immediate hit with the Allies -- especially after their guns began hitting German tanks.

Yikes. It took me a while to work through the confusion while going through the article:

• But that picture is a Sherman, not an M7 tank.
  • But the M7 tank was an International Harvester product, not ALCO.
  • But the M7 tank was armed with the 75 mm gun M3, not a 105 mm gun.
  • But that picture is of a howitzer motor carri...oh.