Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

• 2 weeks later...

I missed this but back in August a feeler was put out for an airburst capable 105mm round.

Presumably it would be for both the MPF and Stryker MGS. IMI is the only company I am aware of offering such a round.

ATK does make a multipurpose round but I don’t consider a proximity fuse to be airburst.

Our 105mm HEAT-MP-T, a high-explosive, anti-tank, multipurpose with tracer, is a 105mm version of the M830A1 HEAT-MP-T cartridge. It is designed as a replacement for the 105mm HEAT round.

Like the M830A1, it uses a discarding sabot with the same subcaliber warhead, with airburst capability selectable by the tank crewman. The cartridge has the same lethality as the M830A1 and is compatible with the Stryker Brigade Combat Teams MGS. The target range is 4,000 meters and a muzzle velocity of 1,330 meters a second.

On 11/29/2017 at 10:47 AM, Ramlaen said:

I missed this but back in August a feeler was put out for an airburst capable 105mm round.

Presumably it would be for both the MPF and Stryker MGS. IMI is the only company I am aware of offering such a round.

ATK does make a multipurpose round but I don’t consider a proximity fuse to be airburst.

I seem to remember a prox fuse, and a timed fuse for the old 105mm howitzer.

As well as a very nasty 81mm mortar fuse with proximity detection (Green Hornet?).

So a bit "con fuzed" unless this is for some kind of active/smart fusing. 

7 hours ago, Meplat said:

I seem to remember a prox fuse, and a timed fuse for the old 105mm howitzer.

As well as a very nasty 81mm mortar fuse with proximity detection (Green Hornet?).

So a bit "con fuzed" unless this is for some kind of active/smart fusing. 

The 105mm M68 gun, not a 105mm howitzer. As far as I am aware the US just has 'dumb' ammunition in stock.

QBQQUzB.jpg

Airburst as in it explodes at a set distance and sprays the target area with fragments. My assumption is they want a single round to replace HEP/HEAT/Canister.

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

The 105mm M68 gun, not a 105mm howitzer. As far as I am aware the US just has 'dumb' ammunition in stock.

QBQQUzB.jpg

Airburst as in it explodes at a set distance and sprays the target area with fragments. My assumption is they want a single round to replace HEP/HEAT/Canister.

Ah the 105mm rifle. 

1 hour ago, ZloyKrolik said:

I assume that those pics are not to scale with each other. 

BTW, No Willy Pete?

105mm%20TK%20SMK%20(WP)-T%20M416A1_0.jpg

Not to scale and not at the same angle, I used the best looking pictures I could find at the time I made it (M724A1E1 is now M724A2).

I left out the M416 WP round because I couldn't find anything about it still being in use.

The Army put out an RFI asking if industry(GDLS) can deliver 72 Stryker MSL between FY2019 and FY2021.

From the Q&A feedback.

Answer: The determination of whether or not to use a .50 cal or 30mm gun effector has not yet been decided. Should the Government decide to direct the gun effector, a decision will be made at that time on consideration of providing the performance specification.

Edited by Ramlaen

Yeah I counted a crap ton of things wrong with that... Even before you get to the highly specious individual "comparisons"

As an example the gun tube life... Yes if you have WORSE metallurgy and gun production techniques AND several times the barrel life your cannon must obviously be superior....

Or it may not be able to pen an abrams to save it's life!

One of the two