Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

No image of an actual Griffin I yet, the only thing we've been allowed to see is a mock-up at AUSA: 

Awhe59a.jpg

tNyslWS.jpg

It's essentially a heavier Griffin II with "full-fledged" AJAX hull, stripped-down M1 turret and the XM360 120mm gun.

And then there's the Griffin III with its 50mm autocannon and Iron Fist APS:

wqJIRMs.jpg

1 hour ago, Ramlaen said:

Griffin II

8UOJT2k.jpg

there https://www.prnewswire.com/news-releases/us-army-awards-general-dynamics-contract-for-mobile-protected-firepower-300768433.html available even larger version of same pic - up to 76 mpix https://prnewswire2-a.akamaihd.net/p/1893751/sp/189375100/thumbnail/entry_id/1_mbts0c4m/def_height/10000/def_width/10000/version/100011/type/1 although apparently anything more than ~5.6 mpix (2700x2062 pix) is just an upscale

^--- That was SAIC and ST Kinetics' proposal for the MPF program. It was eliminated from the competition a couple days ago (with the two remaining candidates being GDLS' Griffin and BAE's M8 Buford).

It's essentially the Singaporean ST Kinetics' NGAFV coupled with an elongated, Belgian CMI Cockerill 3105 turret (105mm Cockerill high-pressure gun).

10 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

@Renegade334 @Clan_Ghost_Bear
Thanks. 
Can somebody tell me about this light tank?
TWrnb_RAVnI.jpg
if I understand correctly, Griffin 3 this is light tank with 50mm gun. But Griffin 2 was equipped 120mm smoothbore gun. Ok, what is it  ↑.  What the program for which it was created? 

Griffin III is an IFV

Griffin II is a light tank with a 105mm gun

Griffin II competes with the M8 and NGAFV-105 for the US Army's Mobile Protected Firepower program, a light tank for Infantry BCT.

1 minute ago, Ramlaen said:

Griffin III is an IFV

Griffin II is a light tank with a 105mm gun

Griffin II competes with the M8 and NGAFV-105 for the US Army's Mobile Protected Firepower program, a light tank for Infantry BCT.

Well done, thank you. I thought Griffin III is evolution Griffin II.  It was confusing.

13 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

According to this Shepard Media article (now behind a paywall) from last years AUSA it has a 105mm, and I believe that is an 105mm M35 barrel.

Yeah, no wonder I missed it, I don't have a SM subscription to read their articles. Thanks, though.

So the scheme is this:

- Griffin 1: 120mm

- Griffin 2: 105mm

- Griffin 3: 50mm

Wonder if they'll bother building that Griffin 1 or if it'll be relegated to being an optional upgrade to the Griffin 2.

32 minutes ago, Renegade334 said:

Yeah, no wonder I missed it, I don't have a SM subscription to read their articles. Thanks, though.

So the scheme is this:

- Griffin 1: 120mm

- Griffin 2: 105mm

- Griffin 3: 50mm

Wonder if they'll bother building that Griffin 1 or if it'll be relegated to being an optional upgrade to the Griffin 2.

Following that trend with a polynomial trendline, the Griffin 4 is due to have a -45mm main armament

Well, it looks much better now that they shaved some height off the hull - the Griffin I mockup (see my 2nd G1 pic above) was rather shocking to behold, as it made for a very big (and therefore very conspicuous) tank. Still, given that the hull lost some volume, I wonder if they're still using the same engine or if they chose something more compact (I doubt Cummins and Achates have reached the point where they can already -and confidently- implant their new OP engines inside MPF prototypes). The front sprocket at least shows that we're still dealing with a forward engine compartment.

It also feels like (the angle and the fact that the picture is cropped could be deceiving me, though) they moved the turret ring forward: the back of the turret doesn't look like it's hanging off the back of the G2 hull as much as it did on the G1 mockup.

It also feels like (the angle and the fact that the picture is cropped could be deceiving me, though) they moved the turret ring forward: the back of the turret doesn't look like it's hanging off the back of the G2 hull as much as it did on the G1 mockup.

The parallax is high. 

But, we can consider the center of the turret ring is at the lever of the forth roadwheel. The new external fuel tanks are longer than the Griffin-I rear sponsons.

Look at the position of the exhaust. 

Ct3s82xWAAEaUo9.jpg

So, turret seems to be at the same place. 

Trying to forward the turret means increasing the diving trend when riding off road. 

6 hours ago, Renegade334 said:

-blah blah blah-

The front sprocket at least shows that we're still dealing with a forward engine compartment.

-blah- 

A true sign of all-aspect superiority. Guess I'm rooting for Griffin now.

Seriously though, they kinda need that added frontal protection because the weight economy will not favor much armor.

US Army pick 2 applicants for competition

"The Army picked its two traditional armored vehicle manufacturers, General Dynamics and BAE Systems, to build contending prototypes for its Mobile Protected Firepower light tank, the service announced today. Each company will get up to $376 million to build 12 prototypes, with delivery starting in 14 months and testing in 16. In 2022, the Army will pick a final winner to build a planned 504 vehicles."

https://breakingdefense.com/2018/12/army-picks-bae-gd-for-mpf-light-tank-prototypes/ 

ÐаÑÑинки по запÑоÑÑ mobile protected firepower

• 2 weeks later...
2 hours ago, pitchblackuniverse said:

Is anyone familiar with this kit on the front of the hull in this picture? Doesn’t look like a mine roller or plow attachment, never seen it during my service. My guess is some sort of old TUSK kit? Don’t know how to properly insert images sorry. http://tinypic.com/r/e7xi0k/9

IIRC it was a ram that would let them push barriers out of the way without damaging the vehicle.