Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

14 hours ago, Serge said:

- what is the interest in having an optionally maned IFV ? I can understand the need for an UGV, but what kind of task can one give to a vehicle without its crew ?

Only engineer versions of NGCV will be probably unmanned I think so. Just like BAE tries to do it with Terriers.

1 hour ago, Renegade334 said:

@Ramlaen: did you notice this?

rbqyA7V.jpg

6LOgMdM.jpg

IMHO, it's a bit small to be the mystery cylinder on the M1A2C, but it's the right shape. A zoom on that part of the exhibit reveals it to be the Blackstone Vehicle Mount Kit (VMK).

https://www.leonardodrs.com/media/6608/blackstone_vm_datasheet.pdf

It looks like a bicone antenna but it is like half the size of the one on the M1A2C.

The antenna on the Stryker is the blue force tracker.

https://www.army.mil/article-amp/127314/battle_tested_stryker_upgrades_to_new_blue_force_tracking

6 hours ago, 2805662 said:

Any sources/references for that? Would be interested to read what was said. 

From my friend who is working with American defence industry from the business side. I would call him a 'lobbyist' as well.

But on the other it has said Lynx was still a very good IFV. So RLS probably has to slim it down to fit air mobility requirement (two base vehicles in one C-17)

Sorry for the double post.  

What baffles me is that they decided to increase the thickness of the armor, while they publicly declared that the tank got new hull armor for protection against IED (most likely, side armor) and that ain´t lightweight. Thats why i figured that if anything, the new armor on the turret should have been first and foremost more weight efficient, but now they made the turret modules even thicker (with all the practical disadvantages that brings, more difficult for the driver  to enter and exit the tank, less vertical coverage), thats why i started to doubt even if they have DU there.

27 minutes ago, alanch90 said:

Sorry for the double post.  

What baffles me is that they decided to increase the thickness of the armor, while they publicly declared that the tank got new hull armor for protection against IED (most likely, side armor) and that ain´t lightweight. Thats why i figured that if anything, the new armor on the turret should have been first and foremost more weight efficient, but now they made the turret modules even thicker (with all the practical disadvantages that brings, more difficult for the driver  to enter and exit the tank, less vertical coverage), thats why i started to doubt even if they have DU there.

Protection against IEDs is part of the TUSK. An improvement in the frontal armor was needed to cope with new and emerging threats like the T-14.

4 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Protection against IEDs is part of the TUSK. An improvement in the frontal armor was needed to cope with new and emerging threats like the T-14.

I´m refering to this "There is a new armor package inside the turret and the hull..." (1:04).  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=L94E8DGLmjw&list=PL72124C26D466E6CB&index=370&t=0s
the engineers need to accommodate a lot of new stuff in an already weight limited tank, thats why my first intuition was that they were making the armor lighter. If i had to speculate i would bet that the protection requirements are to be able to resist Svinets 1-2 and whatever the Type 99A shoots. At this moment there is little to no practical reason to be protected against unicorn projectiles such as Vacuum.

16 minutes ago, 2805662 said:

What are the other suffixes? 

Turret:

XXXX - BRL-1 or BRL-2 armor package.
XXXXU - Heavy Armor Package.
XXXXM - Heavy Armor Package (some US tanks have it, don't know why that change in letter).
XXXXA - Heavy Armor Package variant for Australia.
XXXXE - Export Armor Package for Arab states.

Hull:

XXXXD - Tank was made in Detroit Tank Arsenal.
XXXXL - Tank was made in Lima Army TankPlant/Joint Systems Manufacturing Center.