Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

United States Military Vehicle General: Guns, G*vins, and Gas Turbines

Tied

On 9/28/2020 at 11:05 PM, Insomnium95 said:

Why would you want to pack a bunch of tanks on a mountainous island with thick jungles? Most armored vehicles will have little value in places like those islands.

You don't get to choose like that.  War is chaos and a constant struggle for advantage.  Tanks have been used over and over again in "bad tank country" of every kind.  Always will be.  There is no substitute for a tank.

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/9/2020 at 12:06 AM, Ramlaen said:

Is it me or does every time this thing shows up it manages to look worse? They ditched the low-profile hull, they ditched the 120mm and went back to ye olde 105... when GDLS first showed off the Griffon II I thought it was a much better design than the warmed-over XM8 - but now what's the selling point for it? XM8 is already somewhat familiar to the Army and has parts commonality with other Army vehicles... this is just an ASCOD 2 with a armor-less M1 turret slapped on.

1 hour ago, TokyoMorose said:

Is it me or does every time this thing shows up it manages to look worse? They ditched the low-profile hull, they ditched the 120mm and went back to ye olde 105... when GDLS first showed off the Griffon II I thought it was a much better design than the warmed-over XM8 - but now what's the selling point for it? XM8 is already somewhat familiar to the Army and has parts commonality with other Army vehicles... this is just an ASCOD 2 with a armor-less M1 turret slapped on.

This is the low profile hull. The Army sets the requirements and they want the 105.

1 hour ago, Insomnium95 said:

This is the low profile hull. The Army sets the requirements and they want the 105.

I still can't get over the fact that they didn't put an autoloader in it. Seems like such a waste of space for an extra crewman. 

As to the 105, I know that was Big Army's dumb decision - but it was still a major selling point for the original Griffin II demonstrator.  As to height, this hull certainly seems higher than the hull they were showing off earlier. This appears to be just a regular ASCOD 2 hull, the original Griffin II having had only a couple inches between the top of the roadwheels and the return track.

Spoiler

5c195b8faebf427e5914d22d?width=900&forma

There's no autoloader because GDLS literally just reused the Abrams design with less armor and a few dimensional adjustments.

18 hours ago, TokyoMorose said:

This appears to be just a regular ASCOD 2 hull, the original Griffin II having had only a couple inches between the top of the roadwheels and the return track.

Both sizes are the same. 

https://i0.wp.com/militaryleak.com/wp-content/uploads/2020/04/general-dynamics-land-systems-unveils-new-light-tank.jpg?ssl=1

The MPF hull structure is by no means an ASCOD one. Both Griffin 2 and MPF are very different. 

On 10/11/2020 at 9:16 PM, TokyoMorose said:

As to the 105, I know that was Big Army's dumb decision - but it was still a major selling point for the original Griffin II demonstrator.  As to height, this hull certainly seems higher than the hull they were showing off earlier. This appears to be just a regular ASCOD 2 hull, the original Griffin II having had only a couple inches between the top of the roadwheels and the return track.

Reveal hidden contents

5c195b8faebf427e5914d22d?width=900&forma

There's no autoloader because GDLS literally just reused the Abrams design with less armor and a few dimensional adjustments.

Well with the 105 you can carry more ammo so in a way it has it's advantages. Plus it's easier to load than a 120. Right now the 105 can destroy any vehicle just short of a MBT and it's a great infantry killer with airburst ammo. 

1 hour ago, alanch90 said:

That is assuming GDLS wins OMFV which is not going to happen sooner than about 5-8 years at least. Meaning, that the contract for MPF will be awarded before that.

Yeah but they can still use it as leverage. Buy our light tank and now you have the option to buy an IFV with a common chasis. I think if GDLS wins MPF there's a high probability they win OMFV. Hopefully BAE wins and we get the Lynx. 

4 minutes ago, Boagrius said:

Then again if it's going to be optionally manned, I suppose it will need to be able to "command" itself (?)

If it's going to be used as unmanned, it will be commanded by someone sitting in the command post. IMHO we are very far from an UGV being able to command itself except or some very simple tasks such as drive along a given road.