Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Crossout thread.

12 hours ago, LoooSeR said:

What is Jihad level of this thing?

I posted videos of that game months and months ago, and only now you discover this F2P Jihad Design Burear simulator?

I actually looked into it some time ago.  A number of WoT youtube personalities checked it out when it was still in closed beta or alpha (forget which).  I ignored it then because, being an alpha/closed beta, it looked like shit.

MGs are a lot more viable when paired with the thing that boosts cooling rate by 100%.  Instead of just dealing straight up damage, I like to pick specific bits off enemies when in a brawl or deal easy and annoying damage when at range.  May as well send me an invite to the clan too.

When I eventually grind out enough stuff, I'm interested in making a vehicle that uses the stealth thing and just dropping all sorts of turrets behind people.

Didn't touch the game until now because I didn't realize it was out of closed beta.  I've been aware of the game itself for quite some time, seemed like a concept I could enjoy.

20 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Same-y weapons, few maps, unrewarding progression and a meta dominated by build-of-the-month.

It was still fun, but you ran out of steam pretty quickly.

So far there seems to be enough variation between weapons, and Gaijin actually tries to make sure that all weapons are used as much.

Also, we're on TS with like 4 people, join us. :D 

3 hours ago, Toxn said:

Who's also played robocraft, btw? 

Because I'm trying to work out if crossout will avoid robocraft's mistakes

My initial impressions were economy aside, the mechanics are better here than robocraft.  

Been a while since I touched robocraft (got tired of needing to rebuild everything with each rebalance), but I think crossout having specific shapes to structural pieces instead of a bunch of minecraft blocks is a good thing as well.  In robocraft, your vehicle would end up in really weird shape after taking a bit of damage.  Can't think of a good way to describe it, but in crossout, you've got the cabin to help keep some basic shape until your thing dies.  

Basically, I like how crossout handles vehicle damage more.  The other stuff isn't too fresh in my mind, but still generally feels improved upon vs robocraft.

4 hours ago, Bronezhilet said:

So far there seems to be enough variation between weapons, and Gaijin actually tries to make sure that all weapons are used as much.

Also, we're on TS with like 4 people, join us. :D 

I'm actually supposed to be studying for patent board exams. So when you see mw online it's supposed to be for a few minutes at most ;)

As often happens with online games, I'm becoming a bit bleak about how lag forces me to avoid anything clever or skillful. Can't make trick shots or use innovative tactics when you're half a second behind everyone else and prone to mindlessly driving into trees.

Robocraft is fun during first few days of playing, but because progression become slower, your ability to learn and build new or even more crazier vehicles is becoming lower and lower (relatively to first hour or so of that game) with each additional hour played as there is less gamemechanics to learn and less new equipment to use, this game is loosing plenty of "fun factor". 

Robocraft is hampered by WoT-like F2P progression when almost all types of equipment you can get pretty early in game and higher level of that equipment is just better version of what you have. Game would benefit from different progression system, higher number of unique gear and less rebalancing stuff. I left many months ago because progression system became confusing mess and blocks, that you use to build vehicles, became also needlessly convoluted as they introduced a lot of versions of same blocks.  

22 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

My initial impressions were economy aside, the mechanics are better here than robocraft.  

Been a while since I touched robocraft (got tired of needing to rebuild everything with each rebalance), but I think crossout having specific shapes to structural pieces instead of a bunch of minecraft blocks is a good thing as well.  In robocraft, your vehicle would end up in really weird shape after taking a bit of damage.  Can't think of a good way to describe it, but in crossout, you've got the cabin to help keep some basic shape until your thing dies.  

Basically, I like how crossout handles vehicle damage more.  The other stuff isn't too fresh in my mind, but still generally feels improved upon vs robocraft.

I liked how your vehicle become some weird leftover of your initial design and this added for me in how deep gamemechanics were - you could build a vehicle that works well until hit by anything, or you could put more effort into design to get harder to destroy/harder to damage vehicle. Damage control was a thing i never bothered in WoT. After they started to add different types of weapons (i joined when they had only lasers) damage control become even more interesting - you could also specialize your vehicle against certain type of weapon.

And this also added to a gameplay - almost each robot you were fighting was a small (sometimes - big) puzzle of trying to figure out "how does it work and where i need to shoot to make it gone faster?", trying to exploit other player lack of knowlegde/experience/attention, etc.

On 28.06.2017 at 3:42 PM, Toxn said:

Same-y weapons, few maps, unrewarding progression and a meta dominated by build-of-the-month.

It was still fun, but you ran out of steam pretty quickly.

That is a problem with Robocraft (and PvP games that allow to build your own vehicle in general) - even slight unbalance in weapons players could maximaze with puting 10s of them on a single robot. I remember when they added plasma guns (those artillery-like cannons) and equipment to build flying robots.... game just in few days became a competition between flybots bombing ground bots using sophisticated tactics such as "stay out of lasers max range and click on idiots below you". Probably this was a reason why they added railguns with much higher max range.

Yeah, it is fun in lower levels because of "let's build a wacky vehicle" mentality of players. At higher levels they start to build more efficient robots trying to progress faster, which lead to less interesting/unusual/funny robots around you to fight with (and many/majority of which are created to exploit unbalanced mechanics/guns).

7 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

That is a problem with Robocraft (and PvP games that allow to build your own vehicle in general) - even slight unbalance in weapons players could maximaze with puting 10s of them on a single robot. I remember when they added plasma guns (those artillery-like cannons) and equipment to build flying robots.... game just in few days became a competition between flybots bombing ground bots using sophisticated tactics such as "stay out of lasers max range and click on idiots below you". Probably becayse of that they added railguns with much higher max range.

Yeah, it is fun in lower levels because of "let's build a wacky vehicle" mentality of players. At higher levels they start to build more efficient robots trying to progress faster, which lead to less interesting/unusual/funny robots around you to figh with.

Yeah, that was my impression as well (I hung around long enough for plasma guns to become a thing).

I'm a sucker for fun/interesting builds rather than efficiency, so I'm hoping that the meta in crossout doesn't head towards clear optima that produce millions of look-alike vehicles.

4 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Anyone know the reason I've seen the sale price for oil fluctuate so much?  Last time I sold x100, I got 12 shekels from it.  Past few days were I've been paying more attention, I'd only be getting 9 at best, usually closer to 8.  Current selling price is 7.84.

Their economists  (if they have any) goofed up and didn't compensate for the changes in supply caused by the playerbase constantly generating and then selling off oil.

Lots of online economies suffer from asset deflation, which usually ends up ruining the meta one way or another. Usually by inducing power creep as debased high-level items make their way lower down the playerbase.

23 minutes ago, Toxn said:

Their economists  (if they have any) goofed up and didn't compensate for the changes in supply caused by the playerbase constantly generating and then selling off oil.

Lots of online economies suffer from asset deflation, which usually ends up ruining the meta one way or another. Usually by inducing power creep as debased high-level items make their way lower down the playerbase.

I'm going to guess that's not the case here since we're talking a little less than a week between the prices.  Upon further observation, I think my specific issue here is that it probably depends on what raid mission types are up.  Sold x200 fuel for 9 shekels per stack a couple hours ago.  I should have taken note of the missions then and which ones correlate with better prices.

5 hours ago, ApplesauceBandit said:

Anyone know the reason I've seen the sale price for oil fluctuate so much?  Last time I sold x100, I got 12 shekels from it.  Past few days were I've been paying more attention, I'd only be getting 9 at best, usually closer to 8.  Current selling price is 7.84.

The most recent patch made it about three times easier to collect fuel.

16 hours ago, Toxn said:

Three plausible explanations for the same thing, all non-falsifiable and with no agreement.

Guys, we're economists now!

LOL.

But really, it is easier to collect fuel.  In addition to the fuel barrel there's the blue fuel barrel +, and unlike regular fuel barrels, a single fuel barrel (5 fuel per winning match survived) and a fuel barrel + (10 fuel per winning match survived) do stack for a total of 15 fuel per winning match survived.  That should make raids easier, and I would expect a corresponding crash in the price of copper, but I didn't check.

16 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

LOL.

But really, it is easier to collect fuel.  In addition to the fuel barrel there's the blue fuel barrel +, and unlike regular fuel barrels, a single fuel barrel (5 fuel per winning match survived) and a fuel barrel + (10 fuel per winning match survived) do stack for a total of 15 fuel per winning match survived.  That should make raids easier, and I would expect a corresponding crash in the price of copper, but I didn't check.

I'm actually having more issues collecting scrap than copper right now (lag again - makes zapping structures in siege the easiest thing for me to do). So I agree with your prediction.