Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

12 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

If you have Trophy.

The experimental unit has gotten access to the Trophy a decade ago. It's not that. 

This is something far more malicious. 

Maybe the Trophy 2 with the anti-KE interceptors?

But no more guessing until we get the photo. The prize is up to 100 shmeckles. Get working, lads!

9 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

The experimental unit has gotten access to the Trophy a decade ago. It's not that. 

This is something far more malicious. 

Maybe the Trophy 2 with the anti-KE interceptors?

But no more guessing until we get the photo. The prize is up to 100 shmeckles. Get working, lads!

Whatever the object is you can see that it hangs off the side of the turret due to the shadow.

4 minutes ago, Adraste said:

Maybe it is a data-link antenna, the kind of the one on the defunct M60-based Pereh missile carrier. I found its weird the IDF chose to retire the type without bringing a worthy replacement.

How can you know that there is no replacement?

Well I meant the IDF did not announce a replacement, is that correct? Of course there must be one since the IDF is still firing Tamuz missiles into Syria from time to time but it is not necessary based on a tank chassis. Rafael developed multiple wheeled-base missile carrier. It is anyone guess but it is my guess ;)

OK, after looking more carefully at the shadow, it looks like the retractable cover of the Merkava's trophy, maybe somewhat bigger, but without the shield plate. The emplacement obviously matches the one on the Merkava so it must be some kind of APS.

Welcome to the forum @Adraste.

Thank you for your input, first of all.

Second, there is a replacement for the Pereh. It's called Hafiz and is an M113 platform.

55a56bb535900463.jpg

Indeed RAFAEL developed many kits for many platforms, but eventually the IDF decides what's fit for it, and the M113 is the cheapest option.

A lot of what Israel produces doesn't even end up in service in the IDF. 

And you may be right, the shadow does seem like the retracted cover of the APS. 

1 minute ago, VPZ said:

Hafiz is not a replacement. AFAIK, it's out of service.

Who told you it's out of service? The Meitar unit, the one responsible for its combat use, was closed, but the missile itself is still in service. I don't know who got it, but the artillery corps still makes use of it.

5 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Who told you it's out of service? The Meitar unit, the one responsible for its combat use, was closed, but the missile itself is still in service. I don't know who got it, but the artillery corps still makes use of it.

I read it in some military blog. There are not many sources where i can find info about this vehicle.