Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

9 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Very unlikely. 

The CT40 is a joint UK-French project. Both these countries are considered unreliable arms exporters by Israel.

The only other existing high caliber guns that I know of are made by Bofors, which is a Swedish company. And as far as I know Sweden still has an embargo on Israel.

Hence why I asked about licensing, which you usually have trouble revoking after you handover the specs and collect your fee. And since the Sunnis are now in the same corner of the ring as the Israelis the Europeans would be under very little pressure. Didn't they usually cut off deliveries because they wanted to maintain their Gulf clients?

45 minutes ago, MRose said:

Hence why I asked about licensing, which you usually have trouble revoking after you handover the specs and collect your fee. And since the Sunnis are now in the same corner of the ring as the Israelis the Europeans would be under very little pressure. Didn't they usually cut off deliveries because they wanted to maintain their Gulf clients?

I don't really know how these licenses work. If they're temporary and have to be renewed, or can be revoked with a penalty at any time, then they're a problem.

The current aid program with the US also created a situation where Israel prioritizes US manufacturing instead of Israeli (nice way to maintain qualitative advantage but basically cripple the industry, which is why there is now a review in progress to see whether Israel should turn down the aid or not), so it remains to see if the US will have a new medium caliber program of its own.

5 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I don't really know how these licenses work. If they're temporary and have to be renewed, or can be revoked with a penalty at any time, then they're a problem.

The current aid program with the US also created a situation where Israel prioritizes US manufacturing instead of Israeli (nice way to maintain qualitative advantage but basically cripple the industry, which is why there is now a review in progress to see whether Israel should turn down the aid or not), so it remains to see if the US will have a new medium caliber program of its own.

A license usually includes a transfer of technology for a fee and the promise to not sell it abroad. So, if a crisis happens Israel at worst wouldn't be able to export it and only use it domestically.

3 hours ago, asaf said:

would appreciate if someone would translate this article from hebrew to english

https://www.ynet.co.il/articles/0,7340,L-5312859,00.html#autoplay

about the new Merkava 4 barak that suppose to be ready in 2021

IDF uploaded this on its spanish youtube channel

Ask me what you want translated to english

Also an interview with a commander about Gaza and the new tank, i will translate from 0:39
"At the same time we are developing a new Merkava model which will enter service in the Armored Corps within the next 3 years called (Merkava) Tank 4 Barak.
This tank will bring many advanced characteristics and will introduce the most advanced technologies a tank can be equipped with. This way the tank will function better on the ground. This enables the crew to operate it during changing situations, be even more lethal and contribute significantly to the Grond Forces of the IDF.
We´ve been working to incorporate this new technologies and adapt our techniques and practices to them. I´m convinced that in case we have to use our Ground Forces, we´ll know how to do it in a focused, pragmatic manner  and we´ll be successful."

All in all seems that the Merkava development heads even more in towards asymmetric warfare and further away from "tank dueling". 

AI and assaulting without sticking out your head: The new Merkava tank.

The upgrade the Merkava 4 Barack is going through is expected to finalize within 3 years and will include a smart computer, a special helmet capable of giving the inhabitants a peripheral view without exiting the tank, new sensors and touch screens.

"It will improve the firing accuracy", said IDF. The Armored Corps is also pleased with the rising motivation for enlistment.

IDF is unveiling its new Merkava tank: Merkava Mark 4 tank, which currently serves the active forces of the Armored Corps, in these months, is going through a series of upgrades, so that in 3 years the new tank will enter service - Merkava 4 Barack.

The new tank, developed by MANTAK, includes new technologies that will make it more lethal, faster, and better protected than the current Merkava 4.

The tank will include an AI system that uses a mission computer that combines all the tank's missions and data in a fusion of sensors, and work with the operational network.

The mission computer will be responsible for receiving all the data from the operational network and the tank's own sensors and systems, analysis of the data and its presentation to the commander in accordance with the urgency and relevance of the data.

"This way, the mission computer reduces the workload on the crewmen, improves their ability to trust the systems, and will increase the accuracy of location of targets, as well as the chances of hitting them", IDF explained. 

"Other than the mission computer, the Barack will also have an improved gunner's sight and improved commander's sight."

The tank will include a series of sensors and innovative technologies such as the IronVision helmet, that aids the soldiers to initiate assaults in urban areas whilst keeping the hatches closed.

The sensors will be a significant part of the support of the operational network, that will inter-connect all land assets, that aids and will aid in closing the firing loops faster.

Operation of the tank will also undergo an unprecedented technological facelift. Through the use of new touch screens, the work space will be more suitable for the younger generation, easier and more comfortable to use.

With advanced defensive capabilities (Improvement of the Trophy system which intercepts ATGMs), and automation of processes, the tank will lower the burden on the crew, and direct them towards more urgent tasks.

Other than the new tank, the structure of the company will also change so that every company will receive a 10th tank and an additional officer for every company.

This will increase the share of tanks in the armored corps in which the TC is an officer.

The IDF explained that "This measure will enable greater effect on the battlefield on better flexibility in wider engagements, on the company level. This change comes from the understanding that the future battlefield will require more people with better qualification and understanding of the operational environment".

I remember that some months ago in this forum we had a debate in the russian BMP-T. Everyone agreed that a vehicle designed to operate in assymetrical contexts should have a specialized FCS/sensor system, seems that with the Barak the IDF is answering that very issue.

8 minutes ago, Marsh said:

Hi,

At first it does look like a Carpet mine breaching system, but that is not the projectile usually associated with the system.

The rocket may have been modified.

After all, we know it's an engineering variant because so far only these have gotten the Trophy system without a turret, and none else has a hive of rockets in the back, fitted in exactly the same way the Tzefa Shiryon mine breacher is fitted.

16 minutes ago, VPZ said:

resizedimg115089.jpg.jpg

But this one looks rather like M322.

Hard to tell from this angle. The M338 was showcased in Eurosatory 2006, so it was ready more than a decade ago. It could be that the M322, or even the M321 were kept just because there was no real threat that warranted their immediate replacement, and most threats required non-kinetic rounds anyway.