Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

19 minutes ago, VPZ said:

It's not driver's camera, but part of 360° observation system. All serial Namers have it.

Oh I see what you mean. I thought you talked about the supposed camera right below the gun on the new Namer, which didn't exist on the 2017 one.

Yeah, it does seem odd. About as odd as Merkava tanks driving around with the laser warning systems' mounting piece, but without the LWS itself.

If you want my educated guess: They're not really needed if you use the IronVision system. I don't see a vision block on the turret, but the Namer is almost definitely going to get that system, considering that the Eitan was confirmed to get it, and the usage of the same turret on both.

By the way, do you know if these cameras were used by the TC or the driver as well?

24 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I thought you talked about the supposed camera right below the gun on the new Namer, which didn't exist on the 2017 one.

Spoiler

Not to be confused, I marked camera that I meant on this picture. All Namers have it (under RCWS), except the first prototype with turret.

By the way, do you know if these cameras were used by the TC or the driver as well?

Even infantrymen have two screens in Namer.

23 minutes ago, AssaultPlazma said:

Is there any serious difference between the Namer and Merkava Chassis? 

Depends on how you define "serious". Other than the hull being elevated (which is a very simple modification), all that is said on the matter is that the hull is a hybrid of a Merkava 3 and 4, using as many solutions as possible from the Merkava 4's hull, but with the engine bay and running gear the same as on the Merkava 3 (due to the 1,200hp engine instead of 1,500hp of the Mark 4). Oddly, even the tracks belong to the Mark 3.

There were some plans to use the Mark 4's 1,500hp engine, but due to cost it was abandoned. That engine costs 3 times as much as the Mark 3's 1,200hp.

16 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Depends on how you define "serious". Other than the hull being elevated (which is a very simple modification), all that is said on the matter is that the hull is a hybrid of a Merkava 3 and 4, using as many solutions as possible from the Merkava 4's hull, but with the engine bay and running gear the same as on the Merkava 3 (due to the 1,200hp engine instead of 1,500hp of the Mark 4). Oddly, even the tracks belong to the Mark 3.

There were some plans to use the Mark 4's 1,500hp engine, but due to cost it was abandoned. That engine costs 3 times as much as the Mark 3's 1,200hp.

tenor.gif

8 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Yeah but the odd thing is that the ones with Mark 4 tracks are actually the older serial production ones, around 2008-2010 IIRC. Later ones came with only Mark 3 tracks but I can't be too sure.

Prolly had extras in storage or some shit like that.

14 minutes ago, MRose said:

What's going on in the first picture?

What's going on in this one?

That is, I believe, an “Ofek” APC / C3I vehicle; but I stand to be corrected on that. There are only a few images of this vehicle out there showing the superstructure with slat armour, something unusual for IDF armour. They are from repurposed  Merk 2 hulls. 

This is an Ofek, no matter with that. 

The new point is the outer cover of the superstructure. First photos showed raw slat armor. Now, they may have considered something a little different. 

If this is a simple screen cover, it can

help cooling the vehicle ;

- avoid to be hooked by tricky things ;

- avoid climbing by rioters...

- improve concealment by suppressing bar’s shadows  

On the right side is a Merkava 4. It's very hard to see, but there is some module attached to the upper part of its LFP.

Hooks moved to the side. Quite interesting what they might be hiding there. 

If it's a new armor module, it could be great. If it's something related to IED detection or neutralization, then even better.

3.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1038

And the old new medevac copter drone:

7.jpg?anchor=center&mode=crop&width=1038

@Serge the cage armor was not an issue. And you would definitely not find any protesters climbing on it. Nor any combatants. Not on MBTs, and especially not on HQ vehicles.

EDIT: They say one of the things they're showing is an "electric remotely controlled Namer". Not entirely sure what they meant by that, but I'm not too fond of the idea of an unmanned HIFV or HAPC.