Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

32 minutes ago, Lox said:

I think I lost you, are you suggesting the Ofek is based of the Mk3? In what pic can you see it's serial number?

I didn't suggest it. Sirpad realized this, and it's now fairly obvious why. 

A dead give-away is the roadwheels. The serial number doesn't matter at all.

The Merkava 3 has 4 wheels bunched up in the front, and 2 in the rear, with a big space between these two segments. 

Spoiler

Merkava-3-latrun-3.jpg

The Merkava 2 is a bit messier. It has most of its wheels spaced equally, but the 2nd and 3rd from the front are tightly packed. 

Spoiler

Merkava-2-latrun-3.jpg

You can see on the Ofek the wheel setup pretty clearly. 4 stacked tightly in the front, then large space, then 2 stacked tightly in the rear.

Spoiler

image.jpg

Correct me if I'm wrong but one aspect that the IDF is somewhat lagging behind is in the medium/heavy wheeled MRAP sector.

The Israeli military industry have come up with many prototype and commercial design over the years with the Rafael Golan, IMI Wildcat, Plasan Sandcat and more recently Gaia Thunder and Amir. While the Sandcat (in a lightweight configuration) has been bought by the Israeli border police, the IDF doesn't seem to be interested by MRAP vehicle. Is there any reason of this disaffection by the IDF?

Here is the Gaia Amir MRAP which I never heard of until the latest Eurosatory:

Spoiler

29n8nj6.jpg

oflx.jpg

2dumq9d.jpg

It seems the HEMTT-mounted EXTRA rockets, utilizing IMI's LYNX system, will be the basis for the IDF's new long range rocket arm, that will cover ranges between 40km up to 300km, or more. 

Currently, the EXTRA is in the process of being purchased and should enter service by 2020, but an evaluation process is currently taking place to determine whether the IDF wants the Predator Hawk or LORA, or both. 

Predator Hawk has a range of 300km, while LORA has 400km. Predator Hawk has a warhead of 140kg, while LORA has 570kg on top of high penetration capability, which allows it to be used against a wider range of targets. However the LORA is also substantially more expensive, at about $1 million per missile.

1 hour ago, Newtonk said:

Does anyone here have photos of the Drakonit on an Achzarit that they can share, please? I’m interested in scratch building one in 1/35 (schematics would be helpful). I’ve searched and found a few images from this year in the Golan, but nothing hi-res.

thanks, 

kylie

Spoiler

lohem-givati.jpg

Hi VPZ, 

You’re right, those are Katlanit ows, but I appreciate the effort. The top one, close up, is useful from a modelling perspective.

Modelling IDF vehicles can be challenging due to the difficulty of finding good references. They do produce some of the most interesting vehicles, the Ofek being a good example. 

4 hours ago, MRose said:

How automated of a turret are we talking here?

Automated enough to start saying "beep bop" if it had a speaker.

Okay on a more serious note, Elbit said the whole thing would basically need only 1-3 people, so the turret itself is completely automated to the point that they can stay in the cabin. The only thing it needs is a target's coordinated, after which it creates its own firing solution and fires on command.

11 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Automated enough to start saying "beep bop" if it had a speaker.

So a trash can on a conscript's head?

11 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

Okay on a more serious note, Elbit said the whole thing would basically need only 1-3 people, so the turret itself is completely automated to the point that they can stay in the cabin. The only thing it needs is a target's coordinated, after which it creates its own firing solution and fires on command.

I'd figure the coordinates would be shared by the command center and the firing solution would be created automatically. I'd imagine this is going to be using Topgun since massed artillery and urban environments don't mix well together.