Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

• 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Ok since i developed some kind of an obsession for counting pixels i had to make an estimation for the Merkava 4 UFP thickness. Of course the results are just estimates because angle of the image and all that.

iJlJUTx.png

I have to say that the results are very close to what @Mighty_Zuk came up with many many pages ago. 

EDIT: as an added comment, given these numbers i don't think that we should consider Merkava 4 UFP as "thin" compared to other MBTs. 600-650mm LOS is thicker than UFP of soviet made MBTs such as T-80 and T-90. Now, how this physical thickness translates into protection effectiveness is another issue entirely. 

• 2 weeks later...

A bit of news we all missed

Apparently the IDF 188th Brigade is going to start transitioning to Merkava 4s this year. The 188th is the last active brigade (other than the training school) to operate the Merk 3, which means that in a few years they'll only be in reserve service. 

I wonder what this means for the Merk 3 Trophy retrofit project. There was the one vehicle photographed in 2017, and since then its been awfully quiet. If the Merk 3s are all going into the reserves, it may no longer be worthwhile to pursue, as the systems are most likely better spent on active service vehicles.

• 2 weeks later...