Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

What are we playing?

Well, that was quick - 30 minutes of playing Sabotage (Sabotain: Break the Rules IIRC for english version) were enough for me to delete it. This game is rather old (2004) First person RPG set in a far future. This game is a mix of Postal 2/GTA 3 with Deus Ex, combining city devided in locations with loading screen between them, with RPG gameplay inspired by Deus Ex. 

GLyBTZw.jpg

Spoiler

oO0X2Ls.jpg

NANI is that?

PiorJ7O.jpg

All non-critical NPC talk without opening their mouths.

oPStFHe.jpg

uTSp0UK.jpg

Is that a head between his legs?

iqNknOi.jpg

y4nbXP5.jpg

g5hzWUx.jpg

Thos blue things is not a glitch, it is night club special effects.

Ad92yp4.jpg

Back alley, drugs.

E4ZFYsl.jpg

TS98Jsb.jpg

Find all real pics, heh.

wIZ5wQx.jpg

I'm standing to the left of this NPC, camera is now outside of first person perspective.

Everything in this game is bad. From visuals to dialogues and quests (i did like 2 and was massively bored). Game is very cheaply made - in one of dialogue "cutscene" where main character is threatening to kill a night club bouncer developers decided to animate this action. The thing is that when you engage with NPC in dialogues tree, camera just deattache itself from main hero head and start to fly on its own, doing strange slow rotatition to left and right from NPC head... and devs just overlayed usual first person animation of pulling gun out over 3rd person camera...

Spoiler

m2dZuvE.jpg

Vn1bkqZ.jpg

1DnSO47.jpg

tvVCIjd.jpg

After being told to fuck off (and gun put to his head) this bouncer runned away for few seconds, but then a script was triggered that made all securities in night club to be hostile towards player, so this guy went back, trying to fire his imaginary weapon. No melee attacks were used by him, this stupid scene was going on for like 30 seconds before i shot him.

io9IOcR.jpg

o1wDM6D.jpg

Game does a very poor job explaining your abilities. I accidently stumbled across badly made slow-mo.

5uR28zS.jpg

This is terrible shotgun. Probably loaded with rubber non-lethal rounds.

zS6AJts.jpg

Mission critical NPC runs away.

gTnWY0k.jpg

Critical NPC can be shot and killed during action part of this RPG. Enemies have no problems firing through/near NPCs. 

So bad visuals, terrible player introduction to abilities, awkward shooting and action in general, bland missions, bland/boring dialogues and no interesting characters, awkaward/bugged AI and general cheapness of this game made me search for a review, but only after game was deleted (to confirm that it is not going to improve later). And even during uninstalling this game managed to bug out - "Not all components were deleted, you have to delete remaining on your own".

Next game for a review - Hellforces (2005, Russian FPS on Metro-2 engine). Some screenshots.

Hellforces as a Zombie shooter:

p0JaNkH.jpg

Spoiler

338uJRN.jpg

DYVsyRK.jpg

C0afjPq.jpg

MftO7OJ.jpg

CoR8kxS.jpg

fcMjjT8.jpg

HV75yrF.jpg

i9YurUv.jpg

BYCX1vt.jpg

LC2BgTY.jpg

S7hCuDJ.jpg

HL1 Xen level:

jiIPJNg.jpg

Spoiler

fA8kH1j.jpg

ahQTYFi.jpg

g6xBkSo.jpg

XCnsPbl.jpg

Hellforces as a Far Cry 1:

RHXoo1N.jpg

Spoiler

lbt3mwz.jpg

ApiPMqH.jpg

j3bTR5L.jpg

oYDdOjT.jpg

....and more!

AuYJ51n.jpg

Spoiler

CT7kESr.jpg

pi2ajaZ.jpg

FZnUmNA.jpg

y3aPZ7U.jpg

IQm9JhL.jpg

tClFcrc.jpg

qtILa7y.jpg

N7dkpNZ.jpg

74vG3Xd.jpg

YGcxj5r.jpg

cj1CQMs.jpg

Review of Hellforces

This Russian FPS was released in 2005, very likely used Metro-2 engine to run. It was supposed to be less serious type of FPS with jokes and funny popculture references on top of action gameplay. My friend bought it shortly after release and about week later gave me his disk to play around. Now, 14 years later i'm reviewing it! :lol:

hellforces_1.png

Visuals 

In general they are on a level with Metro-2 - kind of "ok" at best for 2005 in several levels. Less realistic set up of story allowed for more creative location designs compared to Metro-2, but this game don't use this aspect much. On my machine it have same problems as Metro-2 - bugged textures and light in some of indoors levels. Overal this game looks ugly, thanks to uninspired "art" design of majority of places main hero visits.

sZH3KL3.jpg

Usual level of visuals:

Spoiler

n8UwAc6.jpg

znjO8ov.jpg

Example of bugged interior lighting. Textures were flickering as well.

kuMT2wR.jpg

Sewers leve, of course!

s9trJVr.jpg

R0OPhEJ.jpg

Enemy design is mostly generic

6rsP83x.jpg

d77hWHI.jpg

BGSX0t7.jpg

3368.jpg

With working lighting, heh.

8nRc3up.jpg

cbEZ1A7.jpg

4lDSTu1.jpg

EweJDsk.jpg

zED0dmZ.jpg

nyNVh1f.jpg

Ssv7caj.jpg

SUyv4Ui.jpg

5ikViPB.jpg

This is static lighting, IIRC, and it is not bugged.

hellforces_12.jpg

Some of "better" ones:

Spoiler

5tOQNEl.jpg

BLSIwcJ.jpg

obSON4f.jpg

14xU97s.jpg

g6xBkSo.jpg

hf3.jpg

hf2.jpg

UQvVb93.jpg

yEWAlZy.jpg

17W7svc.jpg

BGinRc7.jpg

hellforces2.jpg

hf5.jpg

9ytJWx6.jpg

Gameplay

Hellforces exactly same problems as Metro-2 - awkward shooting is biggest of them. You can still kill yourself by shooting metal surfaces, kek. On top of that this FPS is bog standart as list of features goes, so nothing really interesting in level design (corridors), weapons and their effects on enemies (assault rifles, rocket launchers, pistols and sniper rifles - usual deal), health/armor systems and so on. There is no "drive" behind Hellforces bog standart shooting - no memorable situations gameplay-wise. 

Same goes for enemies - there is some variety of them, but none of them are memorable or really interesting to fight againsts. Majority of them don't have anything going for them - no cool voice acting, no cool animations/movement or attacks. AI is bad in general across whole selection of baddies. 

ZlKqFkD.jpg

Metal bar of death.

Spoiler

JYU26Mh.jpg

Probably the only weapon i liked.

krPQRy3.jpg

Enemies:

Spoiler

npU51Ki.jpg

AI is really stupid.

7Iko0wq.jpg

UdmsVU8.jpg

5QHYcw0.jpg

Valve is blocking this zombie from moving forward

0GnbTsb.jpg

Stuck there.

wSSE3d6.jpg

bIDs0mQ.jpg

Another idiot.

gumPeEv.jpg

Boss defeated by railing.

njbZxkK.jpg

When AI fire at other targets, it is easy to flank them.

u2PFfhb.jpg

Rats are enemies here, they managed to deal more damage to me than zombies. Those things are fucking annoying, in a bad way.

gVoQt21.jpg

MF3cCPU.jpg

"Do i need to shoot?"

F9etCzd.jpg

Shooting attracts nearest AI and they are piling up in exact same spots.

J6atIdT.jpg

"Should i react to a player?"

4SY2xqY.jpg

2 people were killed in front of that thug, no fucks were given for few seconds.

09s2CRC.jpg

One of enemy types. Technically it flies, but it doesn't actually fly away from ground level, as it's AI probably is using navigation system of normal baddies.

vw3EtLn.jpg

It is what it looks like. A lot of HPs and melee weapon + not too bad speed. Although he is really dumb.

Uy7aY1b.jpg

"Magician" type of enemies. Attacks in direct LOS, moves in same way as all other enemies, nothing really special.

5yQZUPU.jpg

Disinterested face expressions don't help to CQB firefights in this game.

hfB6Av9.jpg

AI can see through this thick grass.

jsbRtgU.jpg

And yes, this is a problem because those Rambos are walking inside of those bushes.

Plot

A machine that suck out souls was created, bodies left from experiments were filled with demons. Those evil things kidnapped (?) girlfriend of our likeable and sarcastic joke cracking "too cool for ya" protagonist, which mean we need to find her and save. As hook this plot is not too terrible, problem is that developers didn't managed to pull it off in almost all aspects - drama suck and jokes are really bad. Girlfriend was turned into zombie thing, but this idea also goes nowhere interesting, as it was a set up for a boss fight that i didn't cared about, as girlfriend character wasn't explained/given opportunity to be experienced. On top of that there are pop-culture references to Star Wars, Matrix, Fullmetal jacket and few more, but all of them are done rather badly.

In a whole game only one joke made me crack a faint smile - when players gets into yet another underground tunnel hero says "is there any other sewer tunnel i didn't visited?!" and tunnel briefly ends with an exit.

Pop-culture references for the most part are pick up devices, some of which you can even use. Full Metal Jacket gives you protection for some time (haha, very funy), Trinity glasses work as bad night vision and Luke lightsaber is just borken (not bugged, this is item description).

The thing is that when you describe shit that is going on in this game, you can see a potential for really funny game, but terrible plot/script/cutscenes/dialogues/overal writing and execution kills it.

Spoiler

ekY4pjK.jpg

2TcpBOS.jpg

s2PbW5f.jpg

Girlfriend zombie with grenade launcher.

xRunlop.jpg

7krEam5.jpg

Evil corporation zombie commandos are fighting with aliens from other dimension....

yswTS5a.jpg

You went to hell for a payback for your girlfriend, and attack Hell Administration, filled with demom security personal and hell office workers.

2Cmja3j.jpg

Conclusion

Don't bother with it. Hellforces is cheaply and badly put together generic (at best) corridor shooter without emotional impact on any level.

Extra crap - as this game is made on Metro-2 engine, ragdoll is almost exactly the same.

Spoiler

d1iqqpd.jpg

RyKX1JX.jpg

x0yp0CW.jpg

Ism2itv.jpg

Not sure where one begins and the other one ends.

cGdBYw5.jpg

Knocked out by his own foot!

lSVVZl3.jpg

YxEy4dB.jpg

SvwicXc.jpg

gpikUXA.jpg

"Go there"

q2vCFHY.jpg

J2ASiNR.jpg

Is it me, or his pinky is weirdly shaped. Hell, his arms are weirdly shaped as well.

bMrPKBy.jpg

Google Chrome Nazis?

Completed original Far Cry a week ago. Some screenshots (1st level).

eWFBJpZ.jpg

Reflections in water are partially bugged, sadly (terrain at times don't reflect). For 2004 this was very nice picture, both technically and just pleasant for a human.

Spoiler

9GRFTcc.jpg

Nobody will survive our Generic McMilitary guy protagonist!

ilbsoMl.jpg

NOBODY!

8kwBktR.jpg

wHFXBop.jpg

N1yosFw.jpg

IsWynua.jpg

Is that a giant fuel tank behind this merc?

OjmKapY.jpg

Yes, it is!

peGSy8m.jpg

In last patch of Far Cry Crytek managed to make a bug in AI vision system, so they can spot player though those tent barracks. There is a players-made fix for that.

CrDEeVc.jpg

Good thing that there are no AI commander dudes around, with them Mercs start to fire at suspicious bushes.

B0ljokU.jpg

Reinforcements. Scripted, but it will be triggered only if enemies will manage to press Alarm button.

LhEPAai.jpg

z60xKNZ.jpg

Attacking watchtowers is one of AI weakspots.

6IKNtEy.jpg

MqU7XXE.jpg

MFLKmqK.jpg

Drivable, with physics on the level of HL2 car.

0LFdfBu.jpg

Nice tactical schemes to use against mutants, but sadly not used much by mercs.

LNIlBlW.jpg

After hearing gunshots those 2 are rushing from a beach to forest nearby. AI in Far Cry was rather good for 2004, and still can show teeths even today in medium ranges.

DakxZv3.jpg

Also drivable, armed with HMG and Rocket launcher, that fires slow-mo rockets.

TzvXow1.jpg

RCMzCYC.jpg

Trying to spot anybody sometimes is rather hard to do in such vegetation. That tall grass is not counted for AI vision calculations, BTW.

MQbfyvP.jpg

Rockets are so slow in Far Cry that at such distances you can walk away from point of impact.

3mQ4Al5.jpg

Binoculars can spot and tag enemies on your radar. Kind of wallhack, at times. Totally changes how game is played.

Cxq2DLl.jpg

Drive&gun

2GUE2L4.jpg

Both mercs are probably "Cover" type of AI. They advance in turns - 2nd one is reaching first merc to cover his next aadvance.

OIMRUlA.jpg

Some terrain types can be affected by explosions.

uYMhqEx.jpg

PKcmNm6.jpg

rAQJRBi.jpg

qcfGaSl.jpg

For some reason AGL have very low RoF and very high-magn. zoom with build in FCS that give you aiming point with range/elevation calculations already done.

Y7ToLSh.jpg

Hexanut

771i8Pb.jpg

I hope there are no Japanese pilots that still not surrendered to America lurking in forests of those islands.

DdhW43H.jpg

enWdD87.jpg

Jap carrier turned by mercs into a base.

oboCV1L.jpg

IcP24vZ.jpg

Jm2G1rF.jpg

iU0VqEq.jpg

HRBzkXd.jpg

A0MLmv3.jpg

Part of water bug - underwater is cristal clear and "fog" effect don't work. Although, for some reason, terrain reflections work perfectly fine when underwater...

5ohB9kp.jpg

All mercs are some buff dudes straight out of 80s action movie.

Far Cry, 2nd level - Japanese carrier turned into Mercenaries base and helicopter landing area.

iILIkKN.jpg

Spoiler

wuC3mRm.jpg

74BMKbe.jpg

Dynamic shadows in Far Cry were a bit more natural compared to Doom 3's pitch black void shadows (when only 1 light source was casting shadows). And at times shadows are relevant to a gameplay in Far Cry (although rarely)

cEkB1ce.jpg

UcSSGqM.jpg

There are no NPCs in Far Cry with exception of Valery.

jo6q5kN.jpg

3SpvDt4.jpg

JlZwYvF.jpg

2Ov8D5p.jpg

On my friend's PC (back in 2004) this place was laging because of amount of shadow calculations, kek.

dJah4c0.jpg

Mercs have number of idle animations and things to do, there is special tool in Editor to make them carry boxes, do fishing, patrol, etc.

ORu8IYM.jpg

For some reason they reminded me one of Klichko brothers.

iuxXA6Z.jpg

Racially diverse Klichko.

LbO2uP9.jpg

Vents grills are inpenetrable for AI vision.

uSiLV5z.jpg

zW5OotX.jpg

lrjHLqs.jpg

15 years ago that was top notch tech, lel.

PllCAVk.jpg

In Far Cry indoor spaces can't be illuminated by outdoor light (because of Vision portal/Volume system used to optimise game), so level makers use light sources located near Portals (which are placed between Vision volume boxes, inside of which rooms are located).

nj9TZ3L.jpg

PaKJBNZ.jpg

QmyruD7.jpg

WsOxMDA.jpg

Flashbang blinded both.

uEDdDsm.jpg

IjJuslY.jpg

Age of this game is obvious when models are inspected closer. Pentanades, heh.

pp7gKMP.jpg

Gunner shot out of da choppah

5zxLbpN.jpg

Ladders and static MGs are another weakspot of AI that can be exploited if level makers don't try to mitigate them. If this MG was placed on ground level you could lure enemies one by one to it (if it is empty AI prioritize manning it over anything else AFAIK) and kill them without much of problems, instead of trying to catch them between boxes on carrier deck.

6AvwW0d.jpg

VPDXk1j.jpg

Enemies are rather aggressive, and AFAIK how often they move/how aggressive they are depends on few settings that can be adjusted in Editor for each baddie individually.

XNmYESj.jpg

DXAu5ob.jpg

2WPcHDM.jpg

Chains are destroyable objects while those wooden bridgies are physical objects. During firefight you can *almost* cut yourself from frontal part of this ship.

2fRTk78.jpg

fp4uyqE.jpg

wjR39aF.jpg

B6kCIao.jpg

9CzftEF.jpg

PLCHroN.jpg

Sadly it doesn't explode in a big ass kaboom, for maximum 1980s action movie feel, hahaha.

And a 3rd one. Sat dish, old Jap WW2 fortress and white sand beaches.

t1U0WTs.jpg

Spoiler

gOtbivs.jpg

Our target to blow up.

7opSsZC.jpg

That is a nice view.

FfeZPxS.jpg

JVSBzSJ.jpg

Some of dialogues between mercs are funny. Like this one, about using explosive to catch big fish.

b0Gri3B.jpg

76f0tFk.jpg

Yes, you have rats. With guns.

rDqpqTV.jpg

zE8NXTa.jpg

Reinforcements from nearby island rushing to help mercs with rat problem.

F9DT1w6.jpg

7arRExa.jpg

Guy from previous screenshot rushed back to area above me, when i found him, he tried to take cover, but was not fast enough. AI actually can try to dodge aiming circle when player is in certain range and map maker allowed to perform this type of dodging in properties of AI agent.

iR8fAna.jpg

Rocks are placed close to each other for a reason - when outdoor object have another outdoor object in 10 meter radious and if "hideable" property is turned on for them (in Editor), AI can "chain" those objects as covers and aggressively push forward (or flank, depends on AI merc archetype). 

bP7sUk8.jpg

Wow, wow, easier, 2004 cloth physics, we are not ready to behold such amazing tech marvel.

O2HBO6c.jpg

Guy with a radio and red shoulder pad is a commander AI (Merc_Leader archetype in Editor, it have subtypes, like  MercLeader_Defensive_M4_ that will defend certain area). Those guys change how groups of mercs work.

nYxS9pB.jpg

V4wRowD.jpg

Don't interupt me while i'm staring at tropical beauties!

zhYY9l3.jpg

1 guy tried to scout gunshots. He found 4 more of them! 

6TCB9Ul.jpg

I think they heard. Leader is behind a rock and not visible because of vegetation in the way.

IXBA50Z.jpg

"Left flank, move forward!" If in properties of several AI agents "groupid" set to same number, they will work as a team. There is another property that is dictating how probable team work action will be and few other things, so mercs can sort-of coordinate their actions even without those officers.

2d6JKGB.jpg

When advancing, merc on the right heard noise in the bushes. If they are in group behavior and group is lead by Commander, regular baddies can start to do "check" fire at bushes with short bursts. Guy on the right fired burst, one of bullets hit a tree trunk in front of him (small puff visible).

AXJsnWr.jpg

Now right flank isordered to advance.

uy7Obt7.jpg

Not best terrain for AI to move around in big teams, it is too small.

e27rj2f.jpg

NKCqcq7.jpg

wQxC5MX.jpg

That is one big ass Japanese WW2 tank. I think they oversized it.

C6tVLfN.jpg

Gunshots made 2 other guys drop what they were doing and jump into a buggy. AI use of vics is heavily scripted, as they can't use them effectively on their own (sadly).

QFE9i3A.jpg

"Drive away from this action movie hero wannabe! Movie tropes are in his favor, man!"

9evriTW.jpg

Another Merc commander.

rMEAePA.jpg

9Pug3uC.jpg

Fired number of shots. Attention to radar on bottom left part of pic, Mercs are moving almost in line to search this area.

InWmWRu.jpg

Bw5XCYi.jpg

Explosions! Finally!

eLp1o9N.jpg

LPatSs6.jpg

AL9fnFX.jpg

zDWKNbl.jpg

Using MP5 with suppressor is almost cheating with how AI sound sensors were set up.

14KloRg.jpg

Area where level started.

urZq4Ga.jpg

Barelly visible enemy though tall grass. Indicator around radar is showing that baddies see me. One of several cheating tools to make game more comfortable.

4bkUKx1.jpg

Enemy grenade left small crater.

IPXrah8.jpg

9ev0i1R.jpg

Fancy helmet. AFAIK you can set up helmet armor separately from helmet model and i think you can make mercs with naked heads made out of steel.

u2PhSel.jpg

Sometimes baddies, that were not tagged with binoculars, supprise player.

i2mzhfT.jpg

5ROGpC8.jpg

QKojCXF.jpg

Well-equipped mercs.

yzjahyO.jpg

tJLLviE.jpg

aUhsrvB.jpg

I'm trying to find a better way (playing on max difficulty), smoke grenade to cover my attempt to flank.

IeQnRiH.jpg

Was caught, moved back and throwed hand grenade at those mercs, they sended their own petard at me.

fIIH2Se.jpg

nBNgSIJ.jpg

fW4KiFg.jpg

Wamm6FA.jpg

Boat arrived, it is equipped with mortar that is a serious problem. But main hero found a 4 barrel rocket launcher to deal with this problem.

klBC224.jpg

5nEeqmJ.jpg

ZugPtob.jpg

jxT7zJI.jpg

VjgczD1.jpg

ACUC0nm.jpg

"Blah Blah Blah, evil plans, 80s B-movie action flick, mutants and stuff"

dBYmNGp.jpg

oo1OjF6.jpg

TqnAle7.jpg

btTvkCs.jpg

tiY32F1.jpg

Mission 4, after destroying comms system of mercenaries. Our mysterious helper wants to meet on a peer, so our main hero is continuing his journey.

nRTnKCs.jpg

I think they heard giant sat dish getting blown up just 50 meters away from them.

Spoiler

PShdNXp.jpg

Suspiciously placed barrels.

TE7kGjd.jpg

nX6CvRn.jpg

Devs are like "See? Physics is totally integrated into gameplay flawlessly and seamlessly! It's not like we made are usng Havok just to make our game look cooler or anything!"

VrsHuEm.jpg

Apperently rolling barrels is a serious crime on this island, choppers is dispatched to deal with us.

6P6RxZV.jpg

This bush is too strong for your vision system, haha!

3rqYLXY.jpg

After not spotting our McMilitary guy, chopper decided to drop baddies on a beach and... wait a minute... what is wrong with a gunner?

BgtHegB.jpg

They are Ctlr+V and Ctrl+C from this range.

H22GmBK.jpg

hXovB9X.jpg

Sniper rifle is just easy kill gun. Main problems are finding good line of sight and good position where you can go prone.

jDA5pmb.jpg

8t6U8os.jpg

Those guys from choppah desided to walk back right when i was flying above.

lMYtgJp.jpg

s4Dd6yL.jpg

p2AAc5x.jpg

P0MJnFe.jpg

Mercs base. "Take explosives and destroy their armory to create another distraction"

v3sLlRq.jpg

fqTqMIT.jpg

Umm... who else is firing at overwatch tower?

aYHH6DU.jpg

Heh, sometimes AI consider bullet hits as "enemy-made sound" and uses a part of behavior of blind fire. This behavior was made with "firing at sounds in bushes nearby at possible player sneaking inside/behind them" in mind, but it doesn't always trigger where it is make sense. 

374LiQW.jpg

Machinegunner is taken out.

DeKSSYP.jpg

"EAT THIS, YOU FUCKING EXPLOSION ASSHOLE! YOU KILLED MY FRIEND!"

B9qin9M.jpg

I think you lost a gunner.

q5aGtrr.jpg

Or1eqsv.jpg

Nice attempt, but...

BkjdjpM.jpg

a54pDqd.jpg

Team leader found, not many mercs were around.

Y4FG27U.jpg

*Predator sounds*

rHDY2nf.jpg

JS9wHxq.jpg

bNVectk.jpg

f3CnWxm.jpg

b0ruqlJ.jpg

PRIxTJ1.jpg

RDjTzi0.jpg

Driver tried to hide in bushes, but my hide-fu is better.

fDjnoWR.jpg

Weapon specialists guys can be a serious problems, especially if armed with sniper rifles and RL.

hXD1s4V.jpg

Not terrible view on a peer.

XbW2wil.jpg

Without tagging mechanics i wouldn't even know that there is a guy there.

66A7Ztq.jpg

Long range use of Rocket launcher. Big ass explosions and 4 round Rocket launcher to feel like you are in a Commando, heh.

3agOlmP.jpg

9eXgClW.jpg

m3bOtEb.jpg

Now time to fire sniper rounds at fuel barrels.

bH9aDLt.jpg

DxlfBw3.jpg

OWMLSts.jpg

cREGqnb.jpg

Back in a day you could throw few boxes in water, make them float and get all praising from a crowd for pushing boundaries of PC gaming, haha.

N0vSVqC.jpg

Short 5th level. Getting dark inside of caves.

8PnySg1.jpg

Spoiler

p7yO1Yh.jpg

Finding good concealed position with good LOS on that island is a bit tricky.

DIec5QQ.jpg

Repairing boat with M4 tool.

IRFx0KR.jpg

PNrccpT.jpg

Helmets can be a problem for silend take downs with MP5.

qzp7fsX.jpg

Single shot leads to initial chaotic reaction of enemies. Guy with MP5 is recon, they like to flank and sneak up to player, their tactics is to make you shit your pants so your accuracy drops significantly.

oCLhkCB.jpg

But sniper rifle shots are very loud, mercs already starting to show up.

SK9Fceb.jpg

Not really orginised as no officer is around.

11LoV2T.jpg

XJcyhGo.jpg

fKkU4Pi.jpg

GL with build in FCS.

bbzjWRL.jpg

Again, those barrels located just near substantial slope.

evQsd43.jpg

FsznM8D.jpg

Sniper rifles are great in certain conditions.

nFWRrXO.jpg

C7ISzCZ.jpg

Shadows are making themselves usefull, 3 levels later!

aVTrNtM.jpg

MpEpd7w.jpg

Evil guy underground facilities, here i come!

gLRGKqs.jpg

Enemy flashlights are very faint, barely visible at times. Although they see without it rather well.

oVlbd7u.jpg

gNNRWwu.jpg

Lq1cN1y.jpg

Number 6 - Evil science and 5.56

X1q67XD.jpg

Spoiler

DcJOMu6.jpg

Chain wrapped around this guy's neck is certainly... problematic.

NSvRTGT.jpg

Apperently those things are mutated monkeys. Because of problems with electricity caused by some guy in red T-shirt those creatures managed to get out. Looking at it it feels like evil scientist plans were to make a new type of steroids for bodybuilders, kek.

My8fjc0.jpg

Guards arrived to check out what happened here. That is rather serious security for drug development for sport use.

sMjYT2A.jpg

gxgJNQB.jpg

Entered building and reported back about situation. Now we can take him out.

7wkeQJj.jpg

But this guy fall asleep on duty. Weirdo.

d5DOlxK.jpg

Well, good thing that those guys don't have armored hats or hair grease of steel.

VGB4Gya.jpg   That evil scientist didn't had tree house when he was a kid.

PLoCj3o.jpg

tC0RrND.jpg

6H5CS3p.jpg

Down below mercs are fighting with bodybuilder monkeys.

WolH7Fk.jpg

One of those failed experiments decided that i need a can of protein. Not today! 

g1rqkKO.jpg

Dj8TxwZ.jpg

That is too close for comfort.

5v9g3Rx.jpg

One Merc is still alive here... umm.. was alive.

zXvlrzA.jpg

Did i walked into a monkey gym?

RPzemCQ.jpg

HJaJ2dO.jpg

Nice arsenal in this gym.

0GhManU.jpg

A team of mercs is moving in to clear those gyms full of sport monkeys.

XNYsPsc.jpg

rhjnzdJ.jpg

He was killed so hard that his shadow was cut in half and now laying around separately, haha.

Xsfq4Ui.jpg

NnDmCOa.jpg

Let's drive away from this horrible place that was smelling like Resident Far Cry.

hl0wmvS.jpg

And this position is in the way. Time to get out and walk there to smooth talk those guys to die.

290ozUu.jpg

SoUi73m.jpg

Rockets are so slow that i made several screenshots of it, hehe.

oHAWvgY.jpg

OiYfwZT.jpg

8KlTd6d.jpg

Next point on my way to main evil scientist lair.

vxAqWeW.jpg

It will be interesting to know if many craters can make terrain impassable.

Nul9kgp.jpg

Matrix is strong in this merc.

Uxpnyj2.jpg

X269Mqq.jpg

Who is running around and placing barrels in this way? Is it an official standart barrel storage formation document or something?

8H4EU7W.jpg

Instead of looking around for sniper, you could run away from impending doom, mr Whiskers.

gywr9md.jpg

HEADSHOT

FcxSDMm.jpg

Its a 4th of 5th Jap WW2 plane i found on this island.

5bPK8DT.jpg

sNUfei4.jpg

BFKUC9H.jpg

Second fort, we need to make an entrance in outer walls.

pnJEbCz.jpg

Ropes or hacking electronic door locks is for modern heroes, our guy is deep into 80s action flicks and his problem solving ability starts and ends with C4.

84rRAkc.jpg

Hello, choppah, i have a present for ya

HKNdWwX.jpg

s6h54dA.jpg

Done. Time to walk into underground base, located behind and below our ex-SF John (or Jack?) McMilitary protagonist dude.

And 7th one. Deep into underground secret evil science labs and where we have very close contacts.

mdixiU3.jpg

Spoiler

8QWISaS.jpg

Clearing first room with CheatSMG.

DAnw3JP.jpg

YQYlU86.jpg

Jackhammer shotgun in the hands of this merc. Will be usefull against iron pumped mutants.

9w2N1pe.jpg

Evil eggheads are below those big ass computers. I know what needs to be done.

9SMorcl.jpg

5c8L1Nk.jpg

Fuck! Time to switch to old ways.

a0QBll4.jpg

d7rYsUW.jpg

Da hell is this?

baKKNQ4.jpg

WEarlec.jpg

JstUtFR.jpg

Ooops, wrong door.

ELwyO0g.jpg

dLmTtXY.jpg

Noises of room clearing were heard. Exellend opportunity to jump down using a gap in a floor behind me.

PaRuv11.jpg

Surprised enemies and myself with how close we are.

9kQ1xNg.jpg

sOo1TfD.jpg

ZZNTy3l.jpg

For some reason plates only protect chest area. 

g9YJDZh.jpg

Time to unwrap our new shiny shoty.

TlgIQTT.jpg

Jack Bully Carver

lAuGe6I.jpg

eykYr4Z.jpg

Just shotgunning my way through those protein and drugs-filled monkeys

UGz4IjF.jpg

0LwQtEU.jpg

Hey, look at this Demon infighting faction war!

4RBSPCq.jpg

Guys tried to retreat right into my doorway, lel.

cB2a1cO.jpg

Sw55kHe.jpg

2nd one is flashbanged, first one got hit in heart area (which have different damage multiplayer compared to rest of torse, BTW).

TfYyEda.jpg

Bad guy heard something, but AI can't see through those particular windows.

Nsp0MRE.jpg

Guards surrounded by cages with mutated chimpanzees... hmm...

3KLoHSQ.jpg

What this button is doing? Oh, i see.

RzOkcuf.jpg

S2kA5sG.jpg

Enemies decided to find this pranker that pressed big ass red button, but my hand grenade met them instead.

7td8yZd.jpg

IUVuel1.jpg

OYLzQoN.jpg

Doors opens, faces get holed.

jiHT25h.jpg

"I'm dodging bullets, like in Matrix!"

kKfaFND.jpg

We need to get out of thise corridor shooter Far Cry here, back to sandbox-ish Far Cry there!

Mission 8. Dark forests and explosions.

A1ZEnVg.jpg

Valery appears only in cutscene. Although i don't really care about this 3D model with some generic voice lines.

Spoiler

wVvNj8B.jpg

Hello, mutant.

mEGkj5Q.jpg

RL is usefull when Mercs are riding boats in close ranges.

lSFgEdF.jpg

If we play right, this guy is just walking (well, mostly static) rocket launcher refill. If not, this is one-shot capable fucker.

uzLk3nu.jpg

zFM3it3.jpg

Clearing Mercs from nearby GL.

DVMl8KK.jpg

Ei11xLP.jpg

bpgaPIv.jpg

Dark forests are dangerous, as bunch of buff dudes with guns can jump on you from 19 different directions.

wefREQW.jpg

LmASbt3.jpg

GGQV9wm.jpg

Look at this window and say hello to my little silent friend. Now give me those cool night vision/thermal imager goggles that are laying somewhere here.

wWfLXDq.jpg

700 rounds for MG and 30 rockets to play with.

0spcaY4.jpg

Time to use our arsenal!

UycOnUA.jpg

Driving and shooting explosions is entertaining!

YYPMARm.jpg

Machinegun one...

wzT04zH.jpg

...and send into orbit second one. 

OSZwj7p.jpg

RL was saved for this moment.

RFmR6ZP.jpg

n7YC7N9.jpg

Walking THIS close to rocketlauncher weapon specialists mercs is very dangerous, but exciting.

y6NQTXw.jpg

Umm.. why are you so close to your commander?

maS87h4.jpg

Blue shoulder pad probably means defencive type of officer.

TNcFqqk.jpg

After walking a bit next target is found.

QbVAGnk.jpg

Red shoulder pad means assault type of commander.

BepzX7n.jpg

After killing majority of enemies found crater from a grenade. It is big enough to use as a cover and concealment.

FHSbunM.jpg

Finding some of mercs in those bushes is not that easy, even with binoculars that can spot them with ease through anything non-solid.

WHwzM1K.jpg

I missed by a few mm!

rbuZyUg.jpg

Helicopter status: assfucked by a rocket that lead to emotional explosion.

RheSLIw.jpg

NhIvltA.jpg

Now we deal with workers with overkill level of explosions.

PFujs5m.jpg

And high-caliber sniper rifles.

zS4QyGn.jpg

Next level is behind those doors.

Review of Symbiot.

Symbiot is a c3rd person action game developed by Targem games (developers of Ex Machina and Crossout) and published by Buka in Russia and 505 Games in the CIS under the name "Swarm". On the Xbox 360 game was named MorphX. Game was released in 2008 and 11 years later  i'm continuing my crusade to review all Russian/CIS made FPS/3rd person action games.

bDWKnBk.jpg

Visuals

Game appears to run on Source engine or something based on it, as number of models, sounds and lighting effects in some of places are exactly the same as in HL2. I didn't manage to find any good/solid information on engine of this game.

For 2008 game don't look bad, but from technical/polish POV it is not very well made - low-res textures could be found near high-res textured pieces of map, stiff animations that sometimes look unintentionally comic (running animation for human enemies) and oversized model of Subway trains (for 3-4 meters tall humans) are some of more noticeable problems. Lots of grey color don't improve overal presentation of The Swarm. Generic design of most of enemies and locations brings visual part of The Swarm to boring most of the time and "mediocre" at best.

YA14c6K.jpg

Spoiler

xCSSUvK.jpg

7AvJ6z2.jpg

rrjE7GQ.jpg

"We will put a Generic Protagonist #9 type of main character in our story" said game developer pointing his finger into "How to create a generic shoty game" book.

0scCUc6.jpg

Some of enemies visual design is not terribly generic.

U7lx3WO.jpg

2XEBqYk.jpg

QLbfNr1.jpg

lONbNgA.jpg

VXz1nqu.jpg

Devs didn't used "Ex-Soviet city" looks for creating better atmoshpere, unlike Stalker or Metro games.

1we6a4z.jpg

Subway systems should be in all Russian and Ukrainians games!

SdhCpik.jpg

When i'm standing in those trains, my head is on the level of upper half of windows, and i'm like 1.7 meter tall. This means that this guy is like a meter tall midget, lol.

VwzlbXV.jpg

6Sw5aKw.jpg

OJG1mkh.jpg

dLIgICo.jpg

Sa3UEl8.jpg

68g0bnX.jpg

8atwFmH.jpg

6xyAhyT.jpg

auvQ5NX.jpg

9pKf2R6.jpg

All Russians are writing curses to enemies in English.

rJUWtRN.jpg

05Ld8rR.jpg

Is this Aleppo?

jbD5SaI.jpg

NGrdSZ1.jpg

TgolpNL.jpg

Old Icarus buses. Nostalgia.

MUiswvI.jpg

HoVPjve.jpg

zmBensG.jpg

"Alien? Yes, there are aliens invading Earth! Completely original idea!"

R5rXTcY.jpg

b5zDaaY.jpg

Seal between pieces of this tunnel is visible, kek.

Bjb1xmJ.jpg

eFkj8PS.jpg

XirImoo.jpg

Gore effects.

Gameplay

The Swarm is essentially a Russian version of Ukrainian "Collapse", but with bio-alien-themed abilities and lower quality (hahaha). You are playing some guy that was infected by Alien DNA and slowly mutating into a monster, gaining new abilities. Action is based on cluncy shooting and less interesting melee than in Collapse. 

Shootin part is based on using 2 types of grenades and 3 weapons (AK, shoty, alien gun), all of which are rather boringly made. Clunky controls don't really help to enjoy a process of firing at baddies. Melee is also not really interesting, lacks cool skill-requiring combos of Collapse. Problem of mixing of melee fights with main hero having weapons with him was mitigated by balancing melee and weapons damage in such way that melee is better at killing majority of "normal" enemies. 

Abilities are usefull, but not really unusual - shield, "rage" mode, and 1-2 less useful ones.

Several turret sections and bullet-spongy bossfights are in this game, but they are not good to play. 

Level design is boring AF, endless samy corridors and tunnels for majority of play time without any interesting gameplay idea behind them are exhausting to go through.

AI is dumb in this game, although for most situations they are capable "just enough" to not fail miserably.

ryy9cDD.jpg

Spoiler

O8iE0Na.jpg

gZQgGLs.jpg

3 most annoying type of enemies - small explosive bug, Hound (on the left) that is easier to cut with melee in rage mode and invisible assmouth on the right, which is also easier to deal with melee.

qryMAVJ.jpg

One of few bosses.

UjkA2AA.jpg

UlX8q5m.jpg

Yes, this is Arnold Shwarzalein.

1TcDJta.jpg

Room full of laser-trip mines. I think this type of jumping puzzle was already used in more popular games.

J3IT5rA.jpg

Aiming is hard for enemies when there are obsticles between us.

qZGhFa2.jpg

AI tend to swarm (kek) same spots, especially if player is behid a corner.

U5mKSs9.jpg

Best defences against melee-only enemies is good old "jump on things".

2goqyub.jpg

GKHpj6S.jpg

There are like 3-4 turret sections, each of them is long and constant shooting slogs with ability to quick save disabled by devs just for turret sections moments.

ac3ip7E.jpg

siS9XXi.jpg

Rage mode. Cuts through generic aliens with ease.

xRYgPiE.jpg

Shield sends enemy bullets and projectiles back, you aim that projectile with your crosshair. Useful.

The Swarm also have a system to upgrade abilities (with lower energy use, higher damage, etc), which is made as puzzle game:

Spoiler

YMUTxNM.jpg

You can upgrade your generic dude in this part. Visually upgrades don't do anything, changes are minor. You can upgrade health bar, energy bar and individual abilities here.

d0bTn96.jpg

Player can "suck" health and energy from dead.

4H1tQ3D.jpg

A "terminal" where you can take energy and health points, plus connections nodes for upgrades.

ZCH8PKw.jpg

Upgradeing ability to consume health and energy from bodies. You need to connect green and red node(s) to "activate" them and get benefits like more health taken from one dead body (Red nodes) and energy (green nodes). Connection nodes avaliable are on the right.

34IZ4FJ.jpg

Some of buttons have same interface as upgrade system.

DSIAClb.jpg

bIKQ9dv.jpg

Some of them are pretty elaborate.

Plot

It exist. Alien invasion, Moscow, McMilitary dude with special medical compound in his blood to prevent infaction was infected, started to mutate, but that medicine allowed him to save his human mind. You kill Big Bad Alien and that is an end of this game.

nJ8DtNF.jpg

Conclusion

Mediocre linear corridor 3rd person action game that is generally same and basically worse than "Collapse". Mostly boring and forgettable. In some of Russian press it got 7s and 8s out of 10 for "some" reason.

Number 9. Going deeper into evil scientists labs.

YkTY5FK.jpg

Spoiler

rq38kEy.jpg

Nyd7oa5.jpg

Mb1GoUS.jpg

Not sure if he is showing something to me or trying to be die in unusual pose to be remembered.

SvfIjVO.jpg

4PqK1y4.jpg

Ydgauxs.jpg

Shooting 2 chains give you a new passage.

L6HyK2O.jpg

Which leads to sniper rifle.

SwoGWfT.jpg

N0W0060.jpg

dpxoxYs.jpg

ErGK1SQ.jpg

md2Gv6m.jpg

fsRT9Kh.jpg

UsbcctK.jpg

That was a bit long firefight with this particular baddie. 

4rY9wNi.jpg

00TRXnx.jpg

A full mag was used to drop this guy, cause he was moving inside of this bunker and using cover, thats why flanking him was a not bad idea.

AUe1zsX.jpg

cyu7pOf.jpg

Dynamic shados are helping me once again!

f5hLTJ1.jpg

f0Wsmu0.jpg

joo0IyN.jpg

Everybody here is evil, heh. Those engineers also have guns. Mercs sometimes joking about scientists being armed being so freaked out by mutants that they will kill each other because of the fallen can of cola.

SAqI12H.jpg

6dvaoZi.jpg

That starts to look closer to "evil labs".

UvvV3OJ.jpg

Better equipped mercs.

04PTPDc.jpg

Physics sometimes is useful to fuck with AI.

SezNFmt.jpg

Kr3wfmW.jpg

RxDKaI3.jpg

5V8M56w.jpg

Another ragdoll strange pose.

7lt4mun.jpg

Very angry mercs with plenty of armor and shields. Also armed with G36s.

hV7NK2N.jpg

Those guys were pressing pretty hard, retreated back into corridor.

5vGaPBh.jpg

f2j8ai1.jpg

Giant vent system

DEDGZ7d.jpg

82MsMha.jpg

Hehehe

7L0LBWy.jpg

dP68Vmg.jpg

az5qnGR.jpg

5yVk5P0.jpg

Pfff.. easy.

Mission 10 of Far Cry. Concrete, metal and mutants.

fUl6tNZ.jpg

Spoiler

ZkKukIg.jpg

z5YuufF.jpg

Mercs and monkeys had a small war here.

j836mG0.jpg

CryVisiontm  goggles are useful in dark places or when smoke is obscuring view.

Yx5b8j7.jpg

Lots and lots of mutants to chew through.

UoojeUT.jpg

Jackhammer is just machine to process those creatures in nice props, haha. Love it.

P8e68Dx.jpg

Tryied to chase me, but i have a high ground!

JW4K1CL.jpg

kK4qgyv.jpg

That was a very well-timed hand grenade throw.

83knNvY.jpg

Vent grills are too strong for AI vision system.

ajfob4S.jpg

6IjkTmN.jpg

wrylftN.jpg

Managed to fit into vents, but this guy was glitching - he very frequently tried to stand up. Like 5Hz of failed attempts to stand up.

VSSmqIi.jpg

Mercs with shotgun at short ranges are very dangerous.

3gEMkIH.jpg

g0cgs89.jpg

I'm using this elevator second time to move down and here is unusual situation for many games - enemy walked into elevators shaft because doors to it were blocked by a mutant that i killed.

AEesP9Y.jpg

He spotted me and tried to shoot (hit 1-2 times). If i wasn't watching what is happening down below he would have killed Jack with ease, heh.

OSsrg2p.jpg

vc61NZf.jpg

Leaned around corner and saw this group of serious baddies.

PQoTpYY.jpg

I think we saw each other...

MjLU6LV.jpg

UGL shot to cover me running away in fear, haha. Assholes survived this explosion, BTW.

l3NGu6q.jpg

Now they are breaching room near elevator. I don't want to use it, as enemies will just swarm around a door, which is transparent for AIs and for their bullets. This will be head on shootout.

bWvFgy1.jpg

While i was taking cover from first breaching soldier, second one pushed to this position. Good thing i found him first and stunlocked with G36.

8t2HDG0.jpg

BhP8WKB.jpg

Stay dead, asshole.

A5UtjSB.jpg

And this one was fucking hard to gauge out, but this fight was fun as it was rather long by Far Cry standarts. 

uW2tBb2.jpg

Reloading before pushing in, and because we at this point were exchaning fire last 15-20 seconds i started to take this guy very serious, heh. To cover my reload i threw a grenade to deny his attempts to attack while i'm reloading.

hNGyyEk.jpg

Blind firing, this guy is a bit hard to spot in his blue unifrom against this blue walls/metal through grills. At this point i'm thinking that this AI was allowed to use "avoid player's aiming circle" behavior and he was in range when this ability can be used by AI, thats why i can't get a good shot at his head.

ZzzN3zd.jpg

Now he tried to push me, but lucky headshot ended this 30-40 seconds fight.

QEdDt6j.jpg

27Yefzm.jpg

zzuFsBp.jpg

Fatboy with RL.

CbgYc8l.jpg

A firefight is happening around this corridor turn.

Oc9RKoA.jpg

Jesus, time to fuck off.

4sTvnSn.jpg

tnKQeej.jpg

Well, hello, Fatboy. Good thing that this one was shot many times by Mercs.

rVnVJNR.jpg

aykSmQL.jpg

er1nIve.jpg

GrnUyAq.jpg

I'm nearly dead after nearest door vomited those 3 guards at me.

WdeukKS.jpg

7CFNILc.jpg

WC full of monkeys...

QvK5QVS.jpg

ny989go.jpg

That is way too close. Used flashbang to void taking a rocket at point blank range.

Uy5QdW1.jpg

Everybody is dead and we can now leave this place.

And i'm continuing to spam this thread with Far Cry. Number 11, night, moon, palm trees, war of people with mutants.

N5Y0PhQ.jpg

Corridor full of smoke, CryVision is perfect for this place.

Spoiler

rpcpL9m.jpg

Finally leaving dark underground labs standart corridor shooter.

N7DQwi5.jpg

Jumping mutants can cover big distances. Krieger was trying to win Olympics with his mutants, it appears.

AH3yQqv.jpg

Mercs and hideous creatures are fighting with each other. We can stay away for a minute and wait for end result.

IYFVwa0.jpg

Sniper is pretty effective against those failed experiments.

qny9h51.jpg

And it is time to enter this war.

efJjYAo.jpg

I feel bad killing those guys, even if they are armed with Desert Eagles and attacking me with it.

RFhDID7.jpg

ByJnnOl.jpg

Nice to see that human mutants keeps their pants on.

uBkACEE.jpg

Monkey and Hulk with RL near each other and not far from a car. Perfect moment.

SdySqEn.jpg

Hulk with RL can survive multiply rockets, which is kind of BS.

uYIM61l.jpg

gNsSprS.jpg

"Keep out"... hmmm...

LqH6WZm.jpg

IHLbm2O.jpg

Looks like i had too much fun and fun police appeared.

uADXWcg.jpg

MP5SD still managed to calm them down.

yhHjHFV.jpg

This is kind of bad sitaution to be in, as 1vs1 on open ground Hulk is obviously stronger. But Jack knows kung fu and can dodge rockets, affected by slow-fu.

0QokXqJ.jpg

co07FWh.jpg

I think using cars is better way to deal with failed evil experiments. Saves ammo!

j4XdI7B.jpg

5R76MDj.jpg

Kek

jXNS0Dd.jpg

l6RgMXE.jpg

g8hKMhH.jpg

Fly away!

2yb3ikP.jpg

Parked near old Japanese fort and managed to get into bushes just in time - Mercs arrived to talk with how mutants are wrong with occupying this fort.

vD89cPx.jpg

EHephIQ.jpg

Single mercenary is trying to hold against number of monkes on steroids.

Mih5wU2.jpg

This thing jumped in attempt to reach me, died midflight. Stupid monkey.

Eh0sabe.jpg

Came back to take glider and get to that island with guard tower on it. That was rather long trip.

MDuyWiT.jpg

Nice selection of cars to use.

SE2ibtC.jpg

UGL is very useful to cast power of 80s action flicks pyrotechnics against Crow's guys in jeeps with MGs.

MYMMbt6.jpg

Map of this level. They wanted to make minimap, but only radar showing sound waves and location of taged enemies survived development cuts. Our destination is Archives building.

1XtKJ2t.jpg

KMZnr8w.jpg

Mutants attacking a bridge leading to Archives.

rTrXgZy.jpg

Glider was used to reach a guard tower on top of this rock. Landed on this very small piece of it, heh.

PEP32Mq.jpg

Test tubes rejects and mercs are in full war here.

WYQhE33.jpg

Firing few sniper rounds attracked some of Fatties here. Nearly died from this rocket.

2GFpEOH.jpg

2GFpEOH.jpg

rfMZfqY.jpg

Merc weapon specialist with rocket launcher is shelling those creatures from behind.

ko5nEs3.jpg

And his collegue on Guard tower at the bridge is doing the same thing.

yZc1LUA.jpg

Fa6BVH6.jpg

So everybody is doing this now, lel.

GRBzfUU.jpg

iwdfMv8.jpg

zds1ukw.jpg

Fucker tried to jump on me, again.

Y34uVoC.jpg

baHGOgI.jpg

FxBq9kb.jpg

This guy is dead, game glitched. Not sure, but i often had this bug in this exact spot during previous playthroughs of Far Cry.

gSBOqgn.jpg

ktNC28K.jpg

Lots of Guards with shields. Head on fight will be fucking torture.

EUNhHvA.jpg

yU1Hu6z.jpg

Perfect! Now entrance to Archives is clear.

Archives (Mission 12, IIRC).

spQQtxg.jpg

Heh, villain symbols are hanged here.

Spoiler

25jcaf7.jpg

Mutants that can turn invisible for naked eye for some time, very annoying if not dealt quickly. 

mKAQjj4.jpg

Hand grenades are pretty good against them indoors.

FGEJoZ9.jpg

g3qig5f.jpg

DooM 3 was released after Far Cry, IIRC, but this feels like a moment from DooM 3.

YNAVxht.jpg

Gamers at this point have Pavlov's dog reaction to red cylindrical things. See how many times i'm shooting at it and nothing happens? 

RhVRglc.jpg

Well, this fire extinguisher was packed with explosives, apperently.

WSUSbsW.jpg

qiCgda7.jpg

A bit of swiming.

eb7S7k1.jpg

Mutant be gone! Devs forgot to turn on shadow casting for thos tables.

mIARwS1.jpg

ycaqTuz.jpg

Easy.

SXoqMPg.jpg

Mantis squad first time meeting.

nCnwIev.jpg

That was quick... Even health meter have to catch up.

xWGITFG.jpg

Those mercs are very aggressive.

yd8NBVj.jpg

Strange to see flashbangs working against them.

3zcnNd3.jpg

CryVision goggles with combined thermal imager and night vision look like pretty normal night vision goggles. 

FRs3aqC.jpg

Bodyarmor is a thing in Far Cry. Face/neck shots are preferred to deal wth very elite mooks.

qLiE4Tk.jpg

Mantis member with RL. Very dangerous guy if triggered.

nEd31mW.jpg

Let's start to exploit AI! As they don't understand bottlenecks and rooms, they are easily lured in this disadvantageous place.

HsytSzU.jpg

In this way those guys are also ez mode.

44bCKTM.jpg

Rocket launcher took out rocket launcher guy. Ironic.

TnA00se.jpg

uu250of.jpg

Nice static lighting/shadow on enviroment, Crytek.

U1TcrQm.jpg

Last one, jumped behind boxes from me.

bD26vGK.jpg

Again those Predator mutants with MP5SDs. Strange combination of relatively old SMG and mutated human with fantastical powers. It's like Gandalf with a M60 MG.

VbFFUkn.jpg

YOUSHALLNOTPASS maneuver executed

1ulkbLT.jpg

A short visit to the surface. Mantis team is here as well.

amoPIoN.jpg

tZwR1ds.jpg

Guy on the left is Crow, main merc ass on this island. Mantis members finished Fatties near them.

xokooqb.jpg

I think they know that first group is no longer active.

v3SoYHy.jpg

godvw9T.jpg

Smoke to cover retreat to better position. 

LShVaBm.jpg

Enemy is barrely visible through smoke screen. Through other smoke clouds you can see pretty well with CryVision.

tulE8np.jpg

BtFOKl4.jpg

For some reason helmet is not "hot".

aWeuexg.jpg

DcQkmez.jpg

Area is clean.

RbMMJtU.jpg

Tactical forklift stolen. Now we are unstoppable!

TbaanIT.jpg

Forklift got stopped by a piece of concrete. Fuck, we need to drop our superior tactical forklift!

CPX2vQZ.jpg

XbEMHv9.jpg

Mantis are fighting with mutants in this warehouse

V856aJD.jpg

Pj2bJaC.jpg

LelV9p1.jpg

AD779o6.jpg

X4aNQo0.jpg

8IdP0zx.jpg

Ahh, good old days when more and more things were done with bump mapping.

b2mJ1r0.jpg

13, deep into evil labs, in search of Valery.

cyScH09.jpg

2 Fatties with rocket launchers managed to force me into a vent, like a rat.

Spoiler

SrP4T9n.jpg

Still, my gun-fu is better.

MJ0DeF8.jpg

VqYeZhD.jpg

Hello! Yes, i'm a rocket, just flying by.

RCw1vDY.jpg

9ae3RIA.jpg

fhLVrZp.jpg

You are fucking OP bullet sponge.

r2sFIO8.jpg

Mantis member fighting with mutated humans and monkeys.

LIWUoJp.jpg

5n22JOP.jpg

Grenade to clear a path.

WhQW6U5.jpg

DpeJPhT.jpg

2XPaDM0.jpg

Giant hologram of Mutated creatures, made by Krieger.

cpMZwyg.jpg

Now this feel more like real evil lab.

9MrwECw.jpg

TfjaxGu.jpg

QERmUDs.jpg

gTVlNtf.jpg

Q7MrCf6.jpg

ewoW3bv.jpg

Mantis mercs are chewing through monkeys. I will use this big ass box to cover myself.

bRcZp1S.jpg

ZvRUl28.jpg

0PzTHFf.jpg

Run away!

9DPvLN7.jpg

UwYZ5o9.jpg

9tXd9wa.jpg

EIAr8Db.jpg

7JuD4ot.jpg

wSBaHm3.jpg

OuL7Dph.jpg

dJ7WEai.jpg

0m7ShpQ.jpg

NE7yPDH.jpg

Fucking jumping humanoid Trigens.

QPLAU0L.jpg

DAhN9Bv.jpg

Started his jump alive, landed as dead.

1yV6fmz.jpg

1tCshNU.jpg

Hptyo2M.jpg

This one was very slowly going down, heh.

i51s9L6.jpg

That one was special - runned around pathway to control room and attacked me from behind.

LxBbT2f.jpg

At times Guards feel like multiplayer bots in old arena shooters.

VPEAOl5.jpg

4 cylindrical things filled with evil science, obviously.

OQ8tkki.jpg

Small corridor nearly without cover, big ass enemy with RL and lots of HPs. Just great.

k71VdJC.jpg

Low-poly feets is a part of hideous mutation.

AjsGKyq.jpg

We joined just for this cutscene. Nice tactical T-shirt, Val. Although our McMilitary boy is not much better.

Back to paradise.

6UWdxZm.jpg

Finally i'm out of labs, again.

Spoiler

6Kq7VkR.jpg

This guy is fucked. Gunners don't take position of driver, so he is an easy target. Although firing sniper rifle from rubber dinghy swinging on the waves of ocean is not so easy as it looks.

KwMjlfm.jpg

vJstctr.jpg

Yet another Jap tin can.

blyBtJX.jpg

They heard something.

j61B4Jz.jpg

Decided to wait for some time until some of those mercs near me will calm down.

9IlRHZE.jpg

Time to use this moment.

WYt8pSk.jpg

P6PFjTj.jpg

KQxsZni.jpg

I would like to see what is inside, heh. Especially gasmasks part.

r49fkTn.jpg

9Vhs7ar.jpg

Vegetation is so dense that night vision goggles with thermal imager is not a bad idea to use here.

n2bFd2f.jpg

Now we need to blow up even more evil guy property. I like this part.

cLTmEzG.jpg

Swimming on this boat with Mercs riding on armed cutters is like being surrounded by sharks while having pieces of meat glued to you.

04bJzBU.jpg

fh4ncnR.jpg

*Not talking about 1 guy in red T-shirt doing all the destruction and chaos in mercs forces.

kTXFNC7.jpg

A9pJNbU.jpg

Fuckers are well armed, head-on attack is not going to be easy task.

QWN6FYQ.jpg

Next piece of evil property, please!

Dbuk3KJ.jpg

Big merc camp is nearby (on radar few of guys there are marked). Going to use this GL to distract them.

OZSv0Ff.jpg

gSwD3h5.jpg

Now they are slowly searching in direction of explosions. We can use this moment to get in from NE side of this camp.

Ra8k6GD.jpg

Best driving skills of 2004.

HB1xt9O.jpg

I don't think they saw buggy trying to climb on palm near camp entrance. Good. This is a stealth part of our action movie.

xI6bmPQ.jpg

Perfect moment to open fire and run away.

tAiObgC.jpg

TrgFl2l.jpg

ZuoJnsd.jpg

Yes, i would like to use this OICW. Those guys are very well equipped, even with guns that are not in production in any way!

oCf5YXH.jpg

3YmDOBe.jpg

Another rubber parody of the boat found, time to ditch wheels.

YpUjL5O.jpg

N7pKKBB.jpg

Don't want to attack small island down below, full of mooks with guns and merc officer.

cZdz7yD.jpg

Silent. Deadly. MP5SD.

Q8V9vKf.jpg

Is this a rocket coming to me?

UvM892W.jpg

Yes, it is.

GPBdcCs.jpg

That rocket took our piece of this catwalk, now i need to go back and chew through group of orginised mercs to get to my objective. Weapon specialists are annoying.

XCieIw1.jpg

He also triggered eveybody nearby.

OSRUd8a.jpg

Another weapon specialist wth RL is moving on this narrow path. I don't want to encounter this group and him directly face to face.

TGOnvDu.jpg

Flanking attack in progress.

w0OgxhO.jpg

DXnLclK.jpg

P6TFcC7.jpg

ebviaCe.jpg

Now things are clear here.

wnTUwQS.jpg

4bWXDnc.jpg

fHosoDr.jpg

3rd target.

Aeee7w8.jpg

ODDzGje.jpg

And more of Japanese WW2 tanks here. Evil Dr. Krieger could fold those things 9000 times and attack rest of the world with tiny but superpowered tanks full of aimea underaged girls!

9eu34qJ.jpg

Kalinka Malinka!

dance1-800x600.jpg

QtgqC3i.jpg

Those guys are driving somewhere on breakneck speeds. Strange people, buzz past you without even noticing.

PSbIap7.jpg

From this angle merc camp is overwatched by this angry mook. Decided to go back and see where those racers went.

y7pXXdo.jpg

Racers found sneaking in forests near my landing place. 

ItXWabl.jpg

Ouch.

njUZMZa.jpg

HbH6rmm.jpg

gb5gF6U.jpg

pwnNJC2.jpg

Crater from a grenade. If there was several of them, this vic would be stuck.

cOSYW5t.jpg

Last one. I like how fireballs are coming from steel-only parts of this antenna. Because of course they do!

XgnyhMp.jpg

Last target wasn't last, we need to blow up this ship. Is there anything else that i didn't covered in Holywood pyrotechnics on this god damn island?

6M0IVqM.jpg

Evasive maneuvers on a glider are real, i missed one of Weapon specialist armed with RL on this ship.

tJbAWBJ.jpg   Pff, kid, go away. I should probably start to kill those dudes with over the top one liners, but my English is not good enough. OICW can take this job, though.

KYWcRDv.jpg

How nice of them to not wear this bodyarmor and leave big ass explosive device for me.

FUIUdNA.jpg

JHUg2Me.jpg

Boss fight! And of course it is a helicopter with Number 2 of Dr. Krieger.

oWG07WW.jpg

That helicopter have plot armor bolted on it!

9mGztbY.jpg

Go away, evil choppa, i'm hero of this movie! I will kick script writer in the nuts if main hero will not win this fight!

7w9dsEv.jpg

Yeah, run!

3lzt6gh.jpg

O fuck! I hope it will not explode. 

8K4sjM2.jpg

Our mysterious helper arrived to get us to the next level.

New island, new jungles full of old temples.

hsDlQok.jpg

Merc is fighting mutant just as level starts.

Spoiler

B0ptRue.jpg

uCJO13S.jpg

JUmCi3h.jpg

Killing sniper and starting to clean area.

SJXExrI.jpg

uNQvCWo.jpg

Trying to hide from me, Mr Merc? AI in dense jungles is pretty capable at moving around and finding some cover.

BE44ent.jpg

After shots i move away, to avoid getting found by those rather aggressive mercs.

UM6u9Wv.jpg

qiH8LIb.jpg

Just mens friendship.

xEo4oIG.jpg

nhq74KT.jpg

Now we get to old temples. They are full of escaped mutants and mercs are using gas to kill them.

jmRh8T3.jpg

hFRwLzy.jpg

HvxbcX8.jpg

Hehe, i have 15 rounds for Grenade launcher on that OICW.

WJrSZoC.jpg

3payENi.jpg

Clearing remaining baddies. This one was a bit tougher than others, rushed to my left and dodged couple of bullets.

d1xuYf5.jpg

Some of those ruins can be ... ruined futher. Could be usefull, if mercs were still alilve here, haha.

0ysH5ua.jpg

Inside of old temple there are lots and lots of those creatures, lurking around in search of a bullet to their heads.

E3lPsNW.jpg

Gas don't work as well against them as this shotgun.

fHSOl1V.jpg

D6kkteJ.jpg

LmGAnDW.jpg

lhpiVxY.jpg

acmp3NC.jpg

That one was stressful fight between Jack and Fattie - it was a DPM race between his RL and my arsenal.

87Eb7Nm.jpg

Mercs making their move, dropping from above, equipped with NBC suits.

QhTDZZi.jpg

pHrMftD.jpg

Firefight is going on in a hall nearby, i'm clearing this room to flank enemies. Smoke screen deployed to conceal my ass from those very angry mercs.

r8vmPxA.jpg

See! OICW works!

LveaU9e.jpg

Stumbled on this serious guy, he managed to fuck up all of my armor. 

DF6S7gD.jpg

Again this bug with dead not being totally dead. IDK, it happens only during big fights between Mercenaries and mutated creatures.

River. We are on the hunt for Merc's commander - Crow.

u8S3lcg.jpg

Level starts near this MG nest.

Spoiler

K4WyQEa.jpg

Which was located not far from another MG position. Well, it is good that stealth approach is real option, it would be hard to dodge 2 streams of lead.

yOiapwe.jpg

This island looks like some sort of swamp in tropical regions.

ccfHlP2.jpg

Go away, boar.

q0plcde.jpg

I'm sneaking, Mr. Boar, go away!

lJyolqA.jpg

This river is full of gatling gun poositions.

PnLYwtv.jpg

guONwOK.jpg

Boat taken, equipped with MG and RL.

yZIlNVa.jpg

River rage.

v3nLKJV.jpg

Power of the Boat.

xUUkpS7.jpg

Hard to see, but there is a survivor there.

VKh2qR3.jpg

No idea if i'm hitting him. Without enemy tagging mechanics Far Cry would be better, IMO.

184hab9.jpg

Hitting fast moving cutter with slow-moving rocket is very skill-demanding task, heh.

80hxoct.jpg

Clearing a tramplin for my cutter.

yIstwLP.jpg

This moment in motion looked cooler.

itxvl1Q.jpg

Jumping on a fast boat in front of 4 mercs was a bad idea. I'm now trying to avoid taking fire from 2 on this pontoon bridge while searching for place to stand up (weapons can't be used when in water).

bQZW6sD.jpg

f5373BS.jpg

Now time for some land action on a moded SUV.

z9Nwn5a.jpg

Helicopter AI is capable of dodging rockets. Although in low ranges they don't have enough time.

Y4QOQKC.jpg

bKsscpG.jpg

He is checking if he stepped in jungle boar poop, lol.

XvHDjHj.jpg

NGq7mxs.jpg

Rubber caricature of the boat is here for a joke, i guess. Who will try to use it when river is crawling with MGs, gunships, armed patrol cutters and angry mercs?

5hOSlJb.jpg

tiNSj6V.jpg

sCijOg8.jpg

Trying to use GL against chopper. Not a great idea - this GL is not automatic and have very low ROF, making it more of a mortar-type of weapon.

vXYbDf7.jpg

Although it have nise zoom.

ltZOBhS.jpg

Only using one of million gatling MG made it go away.

XAxt7O3.jpg

Fucker came back! What are you trying to do here?

auRZ4Sv.jpg

VuXazNY.jpg

Perfect.

yaOzuRe.jpg

Futher down the river Mercs have a base with landing pad for "V-22".

aZAJ7ZJ.jpg

Sniper rifle make Mercs run around in fear, hehehe.

sP47n7t.jpg

ToHKqP9.jpg

Now path to Crow is clear enough to move futher.

Fb1feXU.jpg

Crow's guards.

pBm76vy.jpg

GIYqILc.jpg

KsyMKxj.jpg

Fucker himself.

C4GfA4X.jpg

Well, that was the easiest boss fight i ever had in FPS.

bLiVLcX.jpg

o4NZNLZ.jpg

d8c9PTH.jpg

LwXuiEM.jpg

Val appeared here from thin air, apperently. And why Crow's body was moved away? Does Jack have strange psychotic tendencies to bring dead enemies to show to females?

P1Gfkf1.jpg

Things are starting to get hot. We are tasked with taking a nuclear bomb (WHAT?) from Merc's arsenal complex. 

JABkK1x.jpg

Valery will help us in this operation. How exactly we got to this point? Capturing nuclear warhead from seriously defended compound inside of some god-forgotten islands...

Spoiler

Zr2awth.jpg

Supposedly she will help me with clearing this first camp. Although no commands or control was given to a player over AI companion. Great, this is an escort mission.

oONwi3V.jpg

Val, go away, i'm busy with murder of fellow human.

wrz1ss7.jpg

Heh, i'm scanning area, go away!

NF30IjN.jpg

hPrBtX9.jpg

This fence is separating parts of level where we are supposed to have a chase scene from part where we can play.

i7gY0Dj.jpg

Turret section! How long i didn't suffered your presence? This is the only vehicle that Jack can't drive, but can use weapon mounted on it.

oZcP4vJ.jpg

TRwYTzB.jpg

F92h3Of.jpg

H5zeOm9.jpg

We run out of rockets just when enemies run out of vehicles, how surprising.

RpdYdXL.jpg

No free travelering on our car!

p3Sx9IV.jpg

KzG6sRt.jpg

Finally this turet section is over.

Mdxd2t1.jpg

Just... stay here and defend car from swamp creatures.

iuqD5cR.jpg

fI9ajCZ.jpg

Not a bad attempt to extend your life time, if AI don't know from where they are shot from, they simply run away to cover.

vTNF3P9.jpg

BI8TP7f.jpg

macgkNv.jpg

First floor is cleared. We need a red key a keycard from officer in one of nearest guard buildings.

URLiERA.jpg

M5hFzJh.jpg

Sadly OICW can't use timer fuzed HE grenades.

2oap8kI.jpg

2nPVkgs.jpg

Fuel tanks explode like a small nuclear blast.

YX16Spk.jpg

CTjXIEd.jpg

Nice map with red building being my target. How nice of them.

KaunEZL.jpg

Bodyarmor is sometimes relevant, when my reflexes are faster than my memory, lol.

GCrPa36.jpg

UUCHbCx.jpg

qkA1t9Z.jpg

Using this chair as a mobile cover.

H6BPNr3.jpg

He was waiting for me behind his desk. That mercs is not very well euipped, but still armed.

mFaESkl.jpg

Trying to fuck up officer with grenades.

dPKuoon.jpg

zeuFaNL.jpg

We got what we wanted, good thing Valery is no longer chained to my ass.

TWILBVQ.jpg

Now we need to take part of nuclear bomb from HQ. It is crawling with rather well equipped mercs (not as well as Mantis unit).

2xW1Ffy.jpg

4xMPOLW.jpg

That uniform looks out of place outside. Bushes are OP in Far Cry.

Gj15G3W.jpg

"You, Bush, tell me where is this Jack guy, now!"

33XDLbi.jpg

JcvTgHi.jpg

Now we need to steal reast of that nuclear device.

npVw54m.jpg

8YJb8ee.jpg

VTHfIFX.jpg

Bodies are slowly becoming cooler.

VtYdRYF.jpg

8Szsldi.jpg

gkfsVrm.jpg

I'm still aiming center mass. This guy survived as a result.

jqX6O2b.jpg

Here he is, in the corner of ammunition storage room.

WZoMu54.jpg

KxKqEq1.jpg

c55XVkx.jpg

Great, this nuclear bomb is already attached to a forklift. How convenient for us.

97ZaSsZ.jpg

This thing is missing pieces of sheet metal welded all-around.

Near the end - nuclear bomb delivery service.

jrHhzIT.jpg

Crytek, WTF? Where is this comming from? Giant UFO-shapped facilities in the middle of nowhere. Crytek loves hemispherical structures with blue light comming from them (Crysis, heh).

Spoiler

UEYS5uU.jpg

Sniper rifle is still powerfull weapon, but can only oneshot enemies in their faces. 

mro05Hw.jpg

Jm05Q3u.jpg

5pNBb72.jpg

Val don't give a fuck.

dLJWfUH.jpg

dLJWfUH.jpg

BypbRDt.jpg

Ggbgw6p.jpg

Your face when you do evil science but you get killed by 80s action movie hero.

Yf4oHDE.jpg

KY59sfZ.jpg

Arena shooter go!

0pxsa6v.jpg

gFh1SrG.jpg

Tired to death from shitposting on the internet.

4sbzZLu.jpg

Evil green goo mutagene is brewed in those evil things.

fWUkGx8.jpg

I like how mismatched colors of his body armor and helmet, looks like he grabbed helmet in hurry.

c3wkL5K.jpg

DoogtnW.jpg

Val! Jesus Christ, stopping crushing dead people with nuclear bomb-carrying forklift!

VKwuJ9F.jpg

FRhTfsI.jpg

mSWKlfS.jpg

Full of evil science, obviously.

KMVAARl.jpg

Explosions don't produce heat signatures, according to CryVision goggles. While Valery is arming nuclear device, i'm tasked with working as her bodyguard.

LWun2VH.jpg

HEXPsLy.jpg

kWWtkc7.jpg

k3SlRtg.jpg

DoScvAO.jpg

4vaoOJh.jpg

This area is cleared. Now smaller office rooms.

TGhpU3e.jpg

ln7qHht.jpg

KCJAiww.jpg

Last enemy.

jhwGImm.jpg

*grim sniper voice on* 31 shots - 1 kill *grim sniper voice off*

After nuclear kaboom we were caught (yeah, sure). Our main hero was dropped from gunship with M4 with just 10 rounds on island full of mutants. Last 2 missions.

Lfc8NqJ.jpg

Jump from waterfall right into this forest full of mutants. 10 rounds to fight through hordes of meat, in hope to get to any place with ammo or weapons.

Spoiler

KWgdO6a.jpg

57IAW5o.jpg

Fatties (without RLs) walked out of forest. I need to lure them in this puddle, as water is deadly for them.

lJCEmgx.jpg

Geog2Zo.jpg

525LzzK.jpg

4 Fatties now, 2 rounds. Great.

QdFirjT.jpg

They refuse to get lured into puddle. Fuckers, i will make you die!

BxFs3G6.jpg

Train of death is coming!

DNpoXii.jpg

HAHAHAHA

CNHgySs.jpg

sflB7vw.jpg

LMAO.

3UiLlJm.jpg

No ammo, no grenades, forest full of deadly creatures.

imTYyom.jpg

bioX5GJ.jpg

Well, at least i have this weapon.

4rCmFVJ.jpg

3m4MuMP.jpg

71nDtOh.jpg

qA1IG58.jpg

Fatties with RLs are fighting with Mercs. Let's live them alone and find more firepower. 2 mags in helicopter are not going to get us far away from this place.

JOkcSRz.jpg

Ammo crate is good, but it is defended by those mutants.

L7AGWKD.jpg

1) Make him angry

48bw1GA.jpg

2) Make him walk into a body of water, heh.

BZQYztc.jpg

K5vOFNi.jpg

Not much, but at least something.

3KjbSr8.jpg

Now i'm pushing forward.

XZSaGI5.jpg

Volcano? Far Cry's last epic battle with bad guy/payoff of story is happening in Volcano, hahaha, how much more cliche they can get?

gUJ7xcD.jpg

Mutants contiues to fight with Mercs

D3Asx42.jpg

nkVlstM.jpg

ujm0p2O.jpg

DMx3CE1.jpg

Z534zEj.jpg

yXwnY1u.jpg

evXwGAi.jpg

OMEdwFk.jpg

8RwSnQr.jpg

oUZzEzd.jpg

Y9BbRQT.jpg

sAL3qHh.jpg

kxtnwce.jpg

h6TePcS.jpg

Hehe, boi.

hfQkBkN.jpg

Entrance to Dr. Krieger's place is defended by guards, who are rather hard if stealth is not involved.

yR562kD.jpg

IXODUSe.jpg

Zi21gie.jpg

E3PfMIt.jpg

nNNqxVz.jpg

Krieger's yacht, next to stream of lava, kek.

nLaXoA3.jpg

Now i'm inside. Elite guards are here, some of them are armed with Rocket launchers. CQB rocket exchange, haha.

rHEjf6B.jpg

HuUOk4V.jpg

cI18wdu.jpg

8qU3mAl.jpg

Dr.Mutrieger.

Xftswd6.jpg

uVybI64.jpg

LVQSpDv.jpg

HAHAHA, I WAS EVIL THIS WHOLE TIME!

BSMlB8b.jpg

Now we need to kill last baddie. This whole arsenal will be needed for this.

HIMP6rc.jpg

u63VObA.jpg

qhgxdEo.jpg

GOWQ1mY.jpg

GPR4aFQ.jpg

rSFkSeq.jpg

xDfEUzG.jpg

Enemies are there. Guards and weak ass dude.

BIKAru3.jpg

tVyGB0s.jpg

ISsnS3h.jpg

SeC23BH.jpg

NbYHRxw.jpg

muFpTfz.jpg

2zcbRlv.jpg

Done.