Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

What are we playing?

12 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

Speaking about SC: Conviction.

@EnsignExpendable

Enjoy

tc58vmj.jpg

I can't translate back what is srong with it. In Russian language words have different forms to match other words and meaning of sentence. Everything on this placard is broken - conjugation and matching of words. It should have said "Accept only victory!" but it is broken and phrase "get only victorious" can describe how wrong this is. And all others are the same.

This is grammatically correct if this guy's name is Pobed and the poster is asking you to accept him in :P

@EnsignExpendable

More

Tn5thCh.jpg

"Danger. This machine remotely controlled can begin suddenly" Umm what?

sq70WTf.jpg

Участок сокращения ("Area of reduction") is probably a place where you either shorten people or fire them from their work.

2MLlG9g.jpg

A private company that is called "Private company"

Also i am yet to make good screenshot of this patch. Instead of expected "Russia" it says "Rodina".

niS2bYQ.jpg

Also, from screenshots you may saw that player character hold his pistol in a tacticool hipster asshole way. This is because spirit of St.Jason Born and beloved St.John Wick is strong in Game_main_hero_1.

u8V6juz.jpg

Spoiler

screen-shot-2018-04-26-at-8-51-56-am.png?w=780

It is so strong that you can play with humans like toys.

iplAU3J.jpg

Spoiler

AKh6RPD.jpg

b4zbURn.jpg

Or human basketball

Spoiler

AmLsNaK.jpg

4vNXigI.jpg

R14X3ZA.jpg

Zvxq1J2.jpg

Some police brutality

Spoiler

labWIgR.jpg

r0Nf3bQ.jpg

18 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

What time frame is this game supposed to take place in?

Game is from 2010, set is modern days. Although now some parts of it look outdated. Like Soviet-themed brothel run by Russian mafia, with Volga parked in a garage as luxury car. Should have been Mers 600 series for lulz.

jtkv49A.jpg

Blatnie reg. number on this Volga, BTW.

Spoiler

swY8pFp.jpg

Sorry, i had to do that.

Spoiler

uK6UyJE.jpg

EFIvTMU.jpg

no8GZK4.jpg

Yet another fine example of translation fuck up.

0Xu1uT0.jpg

I inserted russian words from this sign into Google translator and it translated them as Papa bar. Now i know why such bizzare sums of words happen. In Russian it says "Little daddy beam/log" or something like this. Google translator translated "bar" as stick/log/beam.

And game is full of those things that are slightly off. Like this box for Andrew.

Pmpuq22.jpg

BTW that mission happens in St.Petersburg and i can probably find where this level is supposed to be.

gmgimLK.jpg

Spoiler

eYAIRX6.jpg

1.png

@Collimatrix

And here is what i was speaking about Splinter Cell Conviction AI being in general similar to SWAT 3's AI because they use similar-ish systems. 

Bad guys in Conviction can overwatch doorways/chokepoints (like criminals and police officers in SWAT 3) during special behavior "i am not going there because all my friends were killed there".

5FkoAL2.jpg

Spoiler

FdMzC6u.jpg

FTJ2rqx.jpg

On those pics soldiers watching for different doorways/windows in different parts of level

SCC devs went futher and made windows special chokenodes so AI overwatch those as well (player can use windows to move in/out of rooms)

Spoiler

vZxItu0.jpg

AI also can search for a player on ledges, railings and pipes (which are used by player to climb/move around levels)

Spoiler

F6VDFv1.jpg

lOh4Di7.jpg

VhDyWnq.jpg

Also, they react to changes in enviroment if it happened in front of them. Door opened and they knew that rest of their comrades were killed in next room:

Spoiler

ytwEJhN.jpg

NP7xg5a.jpg

Or if one of baddies saw something bad (like their friend being killed in a next room) they can assemble a group and overwatch/ambush player. Happens if player location is either unknown or if it is outside of AI navigation system boundaries.

Spoiler

1FN4JPh.jpg

Relaxed Spetsnaz soldiers.

MVFvQTP.jpg

1 killed, one of them saw that and they run about 10 meters away into storage area and now they wait.

kOth5aE.jpg

They saw their friend being shot through that window

If area have several floors, squad can overwatch several entrances between different floors. As i understand in SCC several zones ("rooms") can be assembled into bigger area in AI nav system, and if this big area is declared by AI as "no-go" a behavior with securing all entry points kicks in.

Spoiler

FviIrw7.jpg

pcjD268.jpg

I silently killed soldiers that covered 3rd entry from staircases to sneak here and make screenshots. On first pic soldiers are watching railings on second floor that player can jump over to first floor, second pic shows soldiers overwatching second staircase.

Another example:

vTWp8iI.jpg

AAieT8A.jpg

2 stairs lead to next hall, but both of them are covered by enemies.

I used my extra stealth capabilities (don't pay any attention to bad guys counter) and sneaked inside

ewXGEW8.jpg

2oAUrFM.jpg

They are not bad at getting you (or your last know position) surrounded.

Spoiler

Fexb4LS.jpg

i6XATut.jpg

OiR80l4.jpg

Overal, some of potential of SWAT 3's nav system for AI was sort-of implemented here, but it is far from perfect and sometimes not even "good".

For example soldiers on first pics were overwatching just random doorways and windows on the level, which is why i had no problem making screenshots. Soldiers also don't stack up well/more often to doorways or at least try to get out of death funnels in SCC, unlike SWAT 3 where they tend to do that even without orders in case of SWAT officers. 

Spoiler

uvPlpsF.jpg

z3aPqLT.jpg

Even entry to the room is done better in SWAT 3, where officers are performing multi-stage actions to push inside of a room. SCC AI area/room clearing tactics is non existent (they don't "clear" it, but just walk randomly to next corner detected by nav system inside of the area or to another special nodes like window to look out of it). In SWAT 3 soldiers were sweeping whole room, opening cabinets, lockers, showers and bathrooms, making sure that room is secure. During room clearing shape of the room and structure was taken into account (to what extend 1999 level of AI tech in games allowed), resulting in squad splitting up when needed, clearing corners and places that were not visible from entry point behind objects inside of the room like furniture and so on. In SCC they open a door to the room, than one guy enter it, look left and right (special animation) while standing in a doorway for few seconds, pick random direction and start to walk around aimlessly, showing his back to 19 different directions from which bullet can meet his skull. They even backtrack and check basically same place several times in very short time because of this randomness.

Spoiler

Suspect found in wardrobe by AI, arrested. AI is not moded.

gmo4k1b.jpg

ozY65JM.jpg

He is opening this glass door.

PfiU6wv.jpg

Squad behavior was used by devs almost only to control alert level of group of bots and kick "alerted" and "combat" mode for all squad when needed, with some small exceptions during combat and special case with "we are not going there" mood of bots.

Cover system is very standart - cover node or something similar is attached to level geometry only in specific area, from which bots are playing "i am peaking from cover with my whole body visible and giant red circle painted all over me" animations, unlike much more dynamic and fluid system in SWAT 3. 

The only time when AI actions were serious problem is when i was doing "hand-to-hand takedowns only" self-challenge and AI in next factory hall diceded to enter "where are not going there" mode and overwatched in big numbers the only 2 doors to their part of the factory. There was like 5 dudes per entry point. This is probably the only behavior that affect meta game as much as i would like.

I like their "2 tier" nav system when AI can understand multi-story buildings. During contact they sometimes even shout "he is on 1st/2nd floor!". This feature of navigation/spacial awareness also allows AI to do those complete "lock downs" of areas/places, which is pretty cool. But after playing some time there is a feeling in the back of my mind that with some sort of global AI/AI commander this game could have been way more intense, playing mind games and cat&mouse with squad of enemies and their leader.

It is just wasted potential here that bothers me. AI actions are not systematic and don't affect player's actions much even when it supposed to be (like when enemies are becoming alerted after they found dead body). So player is stripped of plenty "ohh shit" moments, stripped of higher level of intentionality of gameplay, feeling that bad guys are serious danger and as a result meaningfulness of stealth is damaged. In fact this game is less 3rd person stealth action and more like "play it as YOU like to play" situation, when stealth is not really necessary for a player to use to achive success. Hell, it is even easier in SCC to play it as cover based shooter than a stealth game. Sad!

Launched Russian embassy level in hunter mode and looked more carefully around. 

"Without translation"

Li422mp.jpg

Spoiler

"Expense". Trata is written, should have been Tara ("Packings" or something around that). Maybe this is some sort of satire over Russian budget and corruption? :D

j9NPkZF.jpg

It wasn't enough for devs to write silly shit in Russian, but the futher i go, the more ways they found to make me cringe! They are breaking new grounds!

Pbny65Y.jpg

"noitaterpretnI"

Spoiler

3p8fRcR.jpg

Same shit!

Let's enter this Russian embarrassme and meet Iambastardor.

bhiTawm.jpg

Nobody is on reception! How terrible! At least according to text they have "Ambassador's App". Very usefull, download it now!

Spoiler

Now there is a some body on a reception

nKK90TW.jpg

mIKJKfJ.jpg

cPsEQVK.jpg

"netihw oT" brand of cleaning products.

Also, while we are on a subjects of products, don't forget to buy Philips for your Nivea for men.

e9yHUAm.jpg

Spoiler

Huh? I am not sure what you are trying to say, Splinter Cell.

y5whkGB.jpg

Still not sure

prP9Trm.jpg

5ZA9Kmi.jpg

Modern masterpiece inside, for a lot of drinking.

Spoiler

T9j5fpi.jpg

kTWvTSK.jpg

If big amount of alcohol wasn't clear enough that this is Russian embassy, level designers left some clues for you.

rIm4YNz.jpg

Spoiler

QbzI3Tw.jpg

voWHe2t.jpg

zIVafUP.jpg

mwtageu.jpg

1 hour ago, EnsignExpendable said:

@LoooSeR you should post these in the Sad Translations facebook group.

You can post this, i don't have KnigaLitso account.

Also, i am going to post more today, as there are like 6 levels in Russia, each with different theme/place and i hope new ways to make me laugh.

:anticipation:

Played 2 levels of SCC (Mozdok grounds and Yastreb complex), some excerpts from them:

h8GKP3k.jpg

Spoiler

eFEhiVJ.jpg

Left one says "Workers unite!", but Unite word is in wrong form, so this placard sounds more like order to specific group of workers instead of broad exhortation. Right one is "Victory. USSR", it is passable.

P3bkDZK.jpg

Work. Rodina. USSR.

Speaking about Rodina...

qd0zCkd.jpg

Let's see what those guys of "Rodina Armed forces" are guarding

Hfxju5q.jpg
"Equipment
Danger
noituaC"

No surprise that there are dangerous things in this base, it is written on the wall:

EdBiUQ1.jpg

"Dangerous

province"

Problem is that dangerous is written in a form that suggest that this is about dangerous [male person].

ALOeFpj.jpg

Should have been "No step" but what it means is "None pace/stride", i guess.

"King's petrol". Now we know where those commies put all that petrol they took from Nikolay II

ifo4AbZ.jpg

But i know why they still didn't used it. Probably because commies managed to package power in those boxes:

IhnvCTf.jpg

"Superpower [country/nation]". Wow, packaged superpower of USSR!

iDjjKKB.jpg

Spoiler

Those Faust tracks were delivering some Scientific supplies.

G9dVnS7.jpg

How do i know? It litterally says Scientific supplies on boxes! I would like to see inside of generic Scientific supplies.

And they do need them, as some control panels with keyboards and mouses have no monitors

86MVN7y.jpg

And those computers that do have monitors only have Planet Managment programm that ask you to select planet

nXJQQx9.jpg

Small Hummer

n5HK40g.jpg

So devs not only can't into Russian, but they can't into Russian AFVs.

x3ynLVm.jpg

GuNpWSJ.jpg

vaQegiS.jpg

0OgPuMi.jpg

Spoiler

ZPdMB07.jpg

3olu9Z2.jpg

s2wvHvD.jpg

duJUwPO.jpg

While SCC can drop to 20-30 FPS on my coffee-filled notebook, Metro: LL runs really well, above 90 FPS usually and going down to 60-70 during really serious fights or several demanding effects on the screen. I didn't put all max settings in Metro, though.

SCC singleplayer is like:

ZL4rOjQ.png

Spoiler

lJcFYbW.jpg

Door is locked, objective marker is on the door which is 3 meters away from the car from which you took this new cool "gadget", plus objective itself is projected as white big text right on the door plus in the middle of the screen there is tutorial.

Peeking revealed... another objective marker and giant projected text with objective on the objective

xvJRNA5.png

Let's sneak in!

UrvbTio.jpg

bEv5nuF.png

gRo4A9K.png

FryIDD0.png

Those projected objectives markes are out of control

vvCGiTz.png

I guess only people that dress like that will carry Desert Eagle into real job

n1NJHBR.png

I am still not sure with all those text in my screen what level designers wanted me to do here

27bxM6D.png

Example of why projected text is not a good idea. Who is this Obin anyway?

suCwR1E.png

No shit, Sherlock

D1TdIlG.png

I could understand that after opening one, it is not like projected text and objective marker are not used here

WVk0FMc.png

Seriously, stop

ZAbKRFw.png

e7AOXkg.png

EzgVD8D.jpg

wjUymEd.png

sGkDVoK.png

Yeah, thanks for telling Player_1 that level designer made a second way to go in next room. Whithout that text it would be hard to see open windows nearby, one that looked exactly like all previous windows player_1 climbed through

HS9COlN.png

lhHcNfw.png

Even cutscenes are fancy in this game. This is interogation moment, when you locked in 5x5 meters area where you can choose which object to use to make NPC vomit next bit of very interesting and totaly not cringy plot. Usually to make NPC to depleat his script you need to smash his head over several objects. Also, i thought we were looking for Obin, not that Russian guy.

BLggjd0.png

Tell me, where is Obin! What you did to him?!

i5xaSsg.png

Sam hit that mafia guy so hard that texture on piano with piano company maker name fall of as a complete sprite/decal.

iMuoGXM.png

No shit, you tried to kill him just 10 minutes earlier in previous tutorial level. And where Sam got this Deagle?

H5RfB1L.png

Evil ninja dudes with wallhack goggles appeared just in time

IW1qvC1.png

I have excuse - i am holding a hostage and aiming Deagle at people

eWt4wtQ.jpg

Why all fancy SF ninjas here hold guns in fancy hipster ways? Is that standart training program?

x3tkOs7.png

XSgGzCz.png

Evil bad guys in SCC are like:

Spoiler

DYv0Bql.png

RNtvDj1.png

UGPBtQM.png

gizlBCP.png

/.../

ZHDzMdN.jpg

Time to deal with scientists that are crucial to our plan to take President's hat of power.

1rwW1ey.jpg

Killing your own eggheads should be also a coop activity!

AXmuEOe.jpg

Just to be sure

oUD4X4Y.jpg

SCC is done, maybe will do a review next week of it. Singleplayer is very short, like 4 hours or something close to it. It feels like CoD MW was bitten by Jason Bourne movies, and rest of it was filled with objective text projections.

n5QtWBV.jpg

Spoiler

MbKBSRd.jpg

Sjv4Fe8.jpg

jTOGn1W.jpg

ONsVm3F.jpg

I mean a lot of projected objectives on everything.

Spoiler

9VsxYyq.jpg

FuEsxgR.png

MGFGuQZ.png

VyWW9bO.png

XVg7K5D.jpg

pXuA2kO.png

GXluKQj.png

Andrey Kobin beat up simulator 2010. Still don't know who the hell is Obin.

NoYTIjH.jpg

Spoiler

ETUyZPa.jpg

a5yJQNH.jpg

THIS IS SPARTA. Nice clipping

qOpZYkY.jpg

cjjrdjt.jpg

Umm.. i think i broke something

InvAScY.jpg

oq3D8rT.jpg

AIKeZhS.jpg

So this whole deal was for a... promotion? UhhhhhhhhhhHHHHHHHHHHNNNGNGNG

FfopnPJ.jpg

cfuDT1w.jpg

L1m9or8.jpg

Wait a minute... is this a president? Woman with blond hairs?

Spoiler

nvpPz4g.png

So this whole time i was beating up people and inserting flag poles into their shoulders without anesthesia to save Hillary Clinton?! Why i can't shoot her instead? I want to be with bad guys! Is this how Trump really got elected? Is Ubisoft planning to make part 2 of of SCC where you fight Russians that invaded US and main mission will be to kill Trump in the end?

Speaking about MW2 and SCC conections...

lo9bZqT.png

Spoiler

6WAu4WD.png

MW2:

modern_warfare_2_sentry_gun_by_sergal636-d4z1tmr.jpg

Both games had scenes of EMP hiting city and than fighting in it, plus fighting in White House 

Spoiler

23jxhMX.png

OR6SwNW.jpg

JNTed9X.png

zUqEXw1.png

lMna0BI.jpg

When you automated AI cover system but did not payed more attention to what objects could be considered by it as a "cover"

Spoiler

GPlmDlz.jpg

g0iBEJI.jpg

z9SaxNz.jpg

"I am so dumb!"

Tk9tiu6.jpg

SCC deleted, so no more screenshot spamming from it. Although i still have plenty for a review. After that i will try to do Metro:LL Depo level short comparison with... FEAR. Yes. And AI of bad guys (predictably).

QcXPDDy.png

Spoiler

znNIhFQ.png

kMfydgt.png

LF6x7Bj.png

1MPrex8.png

Spoiler

7lCfEM1.png

GVItU9b.png

SNUZLbH.png

C76eLKf.png

Spoiler