Sturgeon's House
Sign in to follow this  
asaf

Active Protection System (APS) for tanks

18 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

I don't understand. Wasn't the total $193 mil just a couple months ago? Is $200 mil the new total or is it added for a total of $393 mil?

EDIT: Seems it's an added number. So it's almost $400 mil worth of contracts.

Below the announcement is additional info that says in total Rafael is under contract to produce 1,500 systems, of which 1,000 are for Israel and presumably 500 for the US. Not a bad number.

Have there been tests using APS to protect against guided bombs and other aerial munitions, or is it just assumed the APS can handle it if it can defeat top-down ATGMs? 

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

Have there been tests using APS to protect against guided bombs and other aerial munitions, or is it just assumed the APS can handle it if it can defeat top-down ATGMs? 

I don't think that any current APS for AFVs can deal with those things reliably as their primary targets are RPGs and ATGMs, which are smaller and easier to damage projectiles than a bomb. Self-guided EFP bomblets usually detonate at way higher ranges than APS interception zone. 

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

If you're talking about typical iron shells, then I guess it's possible for any APS with elevation. But then there's the aspect of artillery shells landing 20 meters or farther from AFVs, in which case no APS can properly defeat them. For that reason I think companies are very careful about marketing their APS when it comes to artillery.

https://news.northropgrumman.com/news/releases/northrop-grumman-showcases-vehicle-active-protection-system-for-the-us-army

Using its Passive Infrared Cueing Sensors system, Northrop Grumman successfully generated threat warning of inbound ATGMs and provided a cue for the soft kill countermeasure system (SKCM).

The Northrop Grumman SKCM system, known as the Multifunction Electro-Optical System (MEOS), successfully countered the ATGM and defeated it in real-time. The MEOS identified and countered all types of threats fired at its APS system, making this the fourth consecutive time the system has performed well in field tests to defeat threats.