Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

just ruski things

Akula_941

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

It is not clear if the AM-17 supersedes the reborn Dragunov MA that was first shown about a year ago:

They are the same weapon. The MA from last year was, as far as I know, a mockup of the functional AM-17s from this year. "MA" stood for "Малогабаритный автомат", which roughly translates to "micro assault rifle". "AM" stands for "автомат" plus the designer's name, I believe. (EDIT: I am wrong, they just switched the letters for some dumb reason.)

2 hours ago, Collimatrix said:

SVCh is apparently also based (at least loosely) on the old Dragunov MA design, but it is apparently not the same thing as the SVK that was shown earlier (Max Popenker has also said this).

You are a little mixed up. SVCh is the new designation for the SVK. They are the same weapon. From what I can father, Kalashnikov Concern changed its designation system sometime last year, or rather changed it back. "SVK" stood for "Снайперская Винтовка Кала́шникова" ("Sniper Rifle Kalashnikov"), reflecting the company. They decided to change its designation to reflect the designer, as they had historically. So the SVK became the SVCh, or Снайперская Винтовка Кала́шникова Чукавина, or "Sniper Rifle Chukavin".

The rifle you are thinking of is the SK-16, an oddball design that apparently used a gas trap mechanism, and went nowhere. 

SVK/SVCh:

SVK-sniper-7-62x54R.jpg?resize=930x870%3

SK-16:

0ZtRj.jpg

The confusion comes because around the time the SK-16 was revealed, pictures of an early SVK prototype were also released, and the two looked somewhat similar:

o2vH9.jpg

^Early SVK/SVCh prototype

9 hours ago, EnsignExpendable said:

Conventionally, SVCh in Russian means "super-high frequency electromagnetic radiation" and colloquially means "microwave oven".

Confirmed; Russians' eyes do not operate in the visible light spectrum, microwave radiation is the highest frequency they are aware of.

Also confirmed from Max Popenker; PL-15K will be available in both internal hammer and striker-fired versions (!?)

On 14.09.2017 at 2:27 PM, Sturgeon said:

They are the same weapon. The MA from last year was, as far as I know, a mockup of the functional AM-17s from this year. "MA" stood for "Малогабаритный автомат", which roughly translates to "micro assault rifle". "AM" stands for "автомат" plus the designer's name, I believe. (EDIT: I am wrong, they just switched the letters for some dumb reason.)

It is not "micro", but "small-sized". Micro would be just Микро in russian, usually means something very, very small, and MA/AM-17 doesn't fit in such category.

Also "AM" designation sounds closer to other avtomats names like AK, AN-94, AEK, etc than MA.

On 2017/9/14 at 9:27 PM, Sturgeon said:

You are a little mixed up. SVCh is the new designation for the SVK. They are the same weapon. From what I can father, Kalashnikov Concern changed its designation system sometime last year, or rather changed it back. "SVK" stood for "Снайперская Винтовка Кала́шникова" ("Sniper Rifle Kalashnikov"), reflecting the company. They decided to change its designation to reflect the designer, as they had historically. So the SVK became the SVCh, or Снайперская Винтовка Кала́шникова Чукавина, or "Sniper Rifle Chukavin".

The rifle you are thinking of is the SK-16, an oddball design that apparently used a gas trap mechanism, and went nowhere. 

SVK/SVCh:

SVK-sniper-7-62x54R.jpg?resize=930x870%3

SK-16:

0ZtRj.jpg

The confusion comes because around the time the SK-16 was revealed, pictures of an early SVK prototype were also released, and the two looked somewhat similar:

o2vH9.jpg

^Early SVK/SVCh prototype

some source claims early SVK prototype is a gas trap design which i found hard to believe

• 7 months later...
4 hours ago, Akula_941 said:

G8q1SKK.jpg

sInu8C3.jpg

duNyyjO.jpg

6.7x51 round and the LMG OS-124, this new rounds can be see as the russian's response to the .264USA

the program is called "“Alatau”" and the 6.7x51 rounds is aim to become the new marksman rifle and LMG rounds according to maxim.p

No mention of the source of those photos. :(

(it was me)

• 1 month later...

Very interesting thread. Usually, you don't expect to see this amount of knoweledge on an English language forum. I recently wrote an article about the development history of AM-17, thought you might find it interesting: https://www.thefirearmblog.com/blog/2018/06/29/from-dragunov-ma-to-am-17-how-rejected-designs-become-future-weapons/

• 4 months later...