Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

DRDO; India's Porsche

Bronezhilet

Ok so that was a bit worse than I thought. I assumed when he mentioned the ERA that he just didn't realize the Arjun II was seperate, they are on the same wikipedia article afterall. . .

The fact that the wikipedia article says the Mk II has compartmentalized ammo (dunno if it does) speaks to him reading the wikipedia article and not realizing there are two versions, or maybe he just doesn't distinguish.

But yeah, I thought he was above stuff like "rifled guns are more accurate." I don't want to just beat up on him, but it is kindof annoying that he propagates stuff like this to people that think of him as an expert; that's 40+ thousand people that will believe this stuff on their deathbed.

Could be worse though, like so much worse.

6 minutes ago, Indigo said:

Ok so that was a bit worse than I thought. I assumed when he mentioned the ERA that he just didn't realize the Arjun II was seperate, they are on the same wikipedia article afterall. . .

The fact that the wikipedia article says the Mk II has compartmentalized ammo (dunno if it does) speaks to him reading the wikipedia article and not realizing there are two versions, or maybe he just doesn't distinguish.

But yeah, I thought he was above stuff like "rifled guns are more accurate." I don't want to just beat up on him, but it is kindof annoying that he propagates stuff like this to people that think of him as an expert; that's 40+ thousand people that will believe this stuff on their deathbed.

Could be worse though, like so much worse.

He most likely also read this article: http://www.army-technology.com/projects/arjun-mbt/

Iirc he literally copied a few of the paragraphs in there for his video.

Well, maybe rifled guns are more accurate than smoothbore guns, who knows. But the thing is that it's completely irrelevant since the two main types of ammunition used literally physically either cannot or should not be spin stabilised. 

But yeah, that's my main gripe with him as well, since he has so many viewers, people are going to copy whatever he says. And the thing is, it's not that Matsimus doesn't have access to proper information. He's literally surrounded with people who (kinda) know their shit, horribly biased they may be. Every single one of them would have said that the Arjun is a piece of horrible shit, yet Matsimus made a positive video about the Arjun. Dude simply doesn't listen. And it's not just Matsimus. I've been on his Discord server for a while, and so many people just do not believe you. Dare to say something not-positive about their favourite tank and you'll get burned at the stake for not seeing The TruthTM.

One thing I always found amusing about the Arjun program was the engine choices.  Way back in the 70's when the program was new, the Indians got really ambitious and decided to power their tank with the Teledyne Continental AVCR-1360.  You may remember this engine as the powerplant for the failed MBT-70 (then called AVCR-1100) and the failed General Motors XM-1 prototype.  Only about 30 engines of this type were ever made, they had variable compression pistons and were really complicated, fussy engines.  Teledyne never really did get all the bugs worked out of this thing, even after Congress threw an extra 13 million bucks at it in 1983.  Anyhow, the Indians picked this engine for Arjun which they decided they were going to assemble themselves.  As far as I know, they never got more than 500HP out of one of these engines (it's a 1500HP engine.)  Anyhow, they eventually dropped the AVCR-1360 and after a few different ideas finally settled on a high power version of the MTU MB833.  This is the engine in the Leopard 1.  Why they didn't go with a newer MTU design, such as the MB-873 of the Leopard II or the MT-883 of the Merkava IV and UAE "tropicalized" Leclerc, I have no idea. 

So, when laughing looking at the Arjun Mk2 I also read a few things about an 8x8 APC designed by Tata and DRDO. It's called the Tata Kestrel.

And guess what.

Tata-Kestrel-14.jpg

TATA_Kestrel_1.jpg

Aside from looking like hot garbage, look at the side armour where it says Kestrel. You see those lighter and darker spots on the armour? That's warping.

You know what's really difficult to warp? Armoured plates.

You know what's easy to warp? Sheet metal.

There's no way that side plate has any significant thickness to it.

And guess what, basically all the other prototypes have a dazzle camouflage. I wonder why.

Also yes @Collimatrix, they are indeed firing ports:

fortuneindia%2F2017-07%2F5648abd1-bda2-4afa-ae31-28c2f3d5adc8%2Fimage.jpg?rect=0,43,823,463&w=1250&q=60

But  it has elevated seats, so that's good I guess?

• 2 months later...
  • 1 year later...

Just edge teenage white cuckholds who can’t deal with the fact they r gonna be extinct

when people tell me America and Europe are the most racist places in the world... 

I’ve never seen such concentrated cancer on the internet before (I don’t go looking for places like that, though). 

Hehehe, they call us biased, yet it’s a fucking echo chamber over there. And we’re the cucks, hehehe. 

4 hours ago, Serge said:
I am following the arjun mbt programme for the last 10-12 years on the net and have seen these type of idiots all around.

That's literally the problem. This dude's following the program for so long, without seeing even one milestone achieved, and still supports the program. At least in the US they understand when they fuck up, and even then it's only after they create absolute marvels, so programs like the Crusader or Thumper are absolutely justified.

The Arjun program did what in the final few years? Fail a single test of an ATGM? That's not a milestone, it just shows how fucked up the FCS is if it cannot even fire a missile right after so many years. It doesn't even take any ballistic calculations. And most of the calculations that need to be made are done by the missile's 'brain', not the FCS.

When they think they need a guided munition to fire at what would literally be considered point blank range (1.2km), that's more than enough evidence of a tremendous fuck up even without talking about any other aspect. And these guys are no idiots when it comes to computer tech so it's gotta be corruption somewhere.

On 12/31/2018 at 12:19 PM, Bronezhilet said:

So only thing they had to "deflect" criticism of their beloved Arjun is insults. DRDO should use their skulls as Arjun armor, it will be first MBT impenetrable for direct nuclear warhead hit.

That's a Sparky vid. You can tell by the distinctive spastic red and yellow text overlaid with no consideration of contrast over background images.

Sparky and his opinions belong in the trash.

The most powerful tank gun actually fielded on serially produced tanks was probably the US M58 120mm gun.