Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

DRDO; India's Porsche

Bronezhilet

1 hour ago, N-L-M said:

That's a Sparky vid. You can tell by the distinctive spastic red and yellow text overlaid with no consideration of contrast over background images.

Sparky and his opinions belong in the trash.

The most powerful tank gun actually fielded on serially produced tanks was probably the US M58 120mm gun. 

In terms of raw muzzle energy maybe.

But what about the power... to move us?

3 hours ago, N-L-M said:

That's a Sparky vid. You can tell by the distinctive spastic red and yellow text overlaid with no consideration of contrast over background images.

Sparky and his opinions belong in the trash.

No doubt it is. I usually watch these videos just to have fun. I know that these are full of bullshit. But since the Arjun is indeed so bad... The video might not contain so many errors :D 

1 hour ago, ShamefurDispray said:

Al-Khalid is basically a Norinco tank

As far as I am aware, it *is* a Norinco tank, being the warmed over Type 90-II... which form part of a bigger family consisting of the Type 90s, the VT1A/MBT-2000, the VT4/MBT3000 (I do like VT names much better, that was a good move), and the whole 98/99/99A domestic family.

Pakistani involvement in the Al-Khalid is basically limited to final assembly and the name, although they have long been wanting to increase the amount of domestic content (such as locally producing gun blanks instead of importing them).

• 2 weeks later...

So is the mythical Kanchan armor just a copy of the T-72's hull armor array with increased thickness (3 x 50 mm layers of glass/phenolic-reinforced plastics vs two layers of 52.5 mm on the T-72M1)? Based on the following text, Kanchan might be only a substitute for the textolite material of the T-72:

hhsQhcl.jpg

On 1/20/2019 at 3:10 PM, SH_MM said:

So is the mythical Kanchan armor just a copy of the T-72's hull armor array with increased thickness (3 x 50 mm layers of glass/phenolic-reinforced plastics vs two layers of 52.5 mm on the T-72M1)? Based on the following text, Kanchan might be only a substitute for the textolite material of the T-72:

hhsQhcl.jpg

It is but IMHO Kanchan may have thinner RHA layers instead of those used in T-72M1. 

But where Kanchan armor's compositions with 315mm and 350mm thickness really comes from? Because I may know exact thickness of all layers coming from these compositions of Kanchan and with their RHAe protection estimations vs KE. 

On 1/20/2019 at 5:10 PM, SH_MM said:

as far as i understand "Kanchan" - term used for designations of various kinds of composite armour, one of it's variants - fiberglass like in T-72/64, some variant uses other materials, and all of this is "Kanchan" so i would be more careful with the statement that "Kanchan armour = FRP only" 

• 1 month later...