Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Leopard 2 Thread

Militarysta

b249324b0a3dfcf79cab831b01d95089L44_size_estimate

The barrel length of the L44 is given at 5280 , which works out with the rest of the drawings. Yet, there is a problem. The length of the gun assembly (muzzle to breech block mechanism end) is given at 5593. In my scaled drawings that length is about 5550 mm.

Also, the ~300-350 mm RHAe against KE estimate includes the trunnion block. Using the  approximate thickness efficiency of the turret faces i got an actual mantlet KE resistance range of around 180-220 mm RHAe.

To me 350mm RHAe equivalent seems likely considering the 420mm mantlet + 240mm solid titanium block behind it. 

If the engineers at KM didnt want the mantlet to be a weakspot there's also every reason to believe that they put thicker NERA blocks in there. 

2 hours ago, Ramlaen said:

An undisclosed Asian country ordered ADS in 2011, when it wasn't ready for service. Maybe that's Singapore. On the other hand Turkey has been requesting the system since 2016...

47 minutes ago, Karamazov said:

I hope, soon we will see the photos Leopard 2 mbt with ADS AVSPS

You mean like this?

Leopard-2-Tank-Advanced-Technology-Demon

14 hours ago, Pardus said:

To me 350mm RHAe equivalent seems likely considering the 420mm mantlet + 240mm solid titanium block behind it. 

If the engineers at KM didnt want the mantlet to be a weakspot there's also every reason to believe that they put thicker NERA blocks in there. 

To clarify myself, as far as i know the overall mantlet/trunnion KE resistance of the Leopard 2 (B-tech level) is between 250 and 350 mm . That does not mean the mantlet/trunnion has a KE resistance of 350 mm overall necessarily.

7 hours ago, Laviduce said:

To clarify myself, as far as i know the overall mantlet/trunnion KE resistance of the Leopard 2 (B-tech level) is between 250 and 350 mm . That does not mean the mantlet/trunnion has a KE resistance of 350 mm overall necessarily.

I'd expect atleast 350mm RHAe in the center if we're talking 420mm composite + 240mm solid titanium (660mm LOS).

The edges of the mantlet area could present as high a value as 400mm RHAe considering the 240-280mm RHA turret armour behind the 420mm mantlet:

6dCUHw8.jpg

wALjP69.jpg

PS: Went and sat in a Leopard 2A5DK today and had the opportunity to eyeball the thickness of the add on armour on the upper hull. These blocks of armour looked atleast 5cm thick, probably more. So the upper hull on the newer leopards is very strong. Also had a good 5 min in the gunners position, and I must say the gunners optics are excellent, extremely crisp (no LCD screen for the gunner in the tank I sat in though). Also noted a small joystick to the right of the gunners control handle, not sure what that was for?

On 6/7/2018 at 10:39 PM, Laviduce said:

Thank you for the feedback!  What do you mean by this statement?  It does not seem that i removed that much from my previous model. I just balanced the greater KE resistance to the other turret face given what we currently know , more or less.

You marked the left turret front as "380 to 400 mm" KE, but if it offered less than 400 mm protection,  the portion of the tank's surface with "400 mm or more" KE protection would be far below the ~19.75% shown in the leaked graph.

1 hour ago, Pardus said:

Went and sat in a Leopard 2A5DK today and had the opportunity to eyeball the thickness of the add on armour on the upper hull. These blocks of armour looked atleast 5cm thick, probably more

It is 40 mm thick.

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

You marked the left turret front as "380 to 400 mm" KE, but if it offered less than 400 mm protection,  the portion of the tank's surface with "400 mm or more" KE protection would be far below the ~19.75% shown in the leaked graph.

It is 40 mm thick.

I suggested that the average RHAe KE resistance could be around 380-400 mm including 400 mm. It is an after all an estimate.

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

It is 40 mm thick.

Yeah the base upper front hull is just 40mm,  but those blocks of armour they added on looked like they were ~50mm thick. But if you measured them at 40mm I'm ofcourse gonna have to bow to that as I only eyeballed it.

Latest armor upgrade offer from IBD Deisenroth Engineering (the company behind AMAP and the Leopard 2 Evolution):

YrrBroD.jpg

IMO a combination of AMAP and ADS (maybe as a "less active" protection system, which operates similar to ERA, as it only detects the projectile on impact).

Edit: Article on Jane's:

http://www.janes.com/article/80769/smart-solution-against-tandem-warheads-es18d1

IBD Deisenroth Engineering (Hall 6, Stand K567) is demonstrating its new SMART PROTech solution against tandem shaped charge warheads which, the German company says, avoids the deficiencies of today’s explosive reactive armour (ERA) and active protection systems (APS).

Modern anti-tank weapons can penetrate from about 300mm to 1,400mm of rolled homogeneous armour (RHA). These high levels make it impossible to protect medium fighting platforms with passive armour against this kind of threat. Even main battle tanks (MBTs) are difficult to protect in the upper range. Since MBTs must also be protected against large calibre kinetic energy (KE) 120/125mm ammunition, the design of a polyvalent technology integrating efficient protection against both threat types at an acceptable weight has reached a limit.

IBD Deisenroth says SMART PROTech is different. Its basic element is a module, which includes a sensor and one or two countermeasures depending on the size, position and orientation of the module on the platform.

When the threat hits the surface of the module, the sensor sends a trigger pulse to the corresponding countermeasure. The orientation of the countermeasure is such that the energy beam is directed towards the main warhead to destroy it before the shaped charge jet is generated. The modules will not be activated by small arms fire.

Most tracked platforms are equipped with a technology that has both KE and shaped charge protection integrated in the add-on kits. This new kit can be designed such that the main part of the add-on modules will be equipped with the technology optimised for the defeat of long rod penetrators. SMART PROTech modules mounted on the outside of the passive kit will deal with anti-tank weapons. This new configuration is said to be much more efficient: the weight of the kit will be less, while the required space will stay within the same range.

1 hour ago, Rohrkrepierer said:

Hey guys. 

Does anyone have any primary sources that reference the perforation performance of German 120mm DM23 APFSDS-T ammunition? 

Best regards, 

Rohrkrepierer o7

War thunder, eh?

Well according to my dude, the DM23 has a penetration of 480mm RHA.

However, my dude gives this value for 60° so it's a few milimeters lower for 0°.

11 minutes ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

War thunder, eh?

Well according to my dude, the DM23 has a penetration of 480mm RHA.

However, my dude gives this value for 60° so it's a few milimeters lower for 0°.

But those figures are based on Russian estimates, which if we look at the numbers for the DM53 don't look particularly realistic.

Infact AFAIK the true penetration performance of the DM13 and DM23 (let alone DM33, 43 and 53/63) is still not known.

A current Leopard 2 tanker mentioned 1,000+ mm RHAe LOS penetration for the DM63 through the L/55.

7 hours ago, Rohrkrepierer said:

Hey guys. 

Does anyone have any primary sources that reference the perforation performance of German 120mm DM23 APFSDS-T ammunition? 

Best regards, 

Rohrkrepierer o7

Welcome to SH, Rohr :) 

5 hours ago, Pardus said:

1,000+ mm RHAe LOS penetration for the DM63 through the L/55.

That's impossible considering the rod isn't 1m long. 

48 minutes ago, Lord_James said:

Well that's assuming Lanz Odermatt's equation is 100% applicable to the most recent penetrator designs. 

I mean we have plenty of figures showing penetration past the length of the rod, so...

1 hour ago, Lord_James said:

28 minutes ago, Pardus said:

Well that's assuming Lanz Odermatt's equation is 100% applicable to the most recent penetrator designs. 

I mean we have plenty of figures showing penetration past the length of the rod, so...

According to Rolf Hilmes the aim of the LKE2/DM53 program was to create a KE shell that had the ability to pierce about 1000 mm of RHA using the L55. Rumor has i that it can penetrate over 900 mm RHA.

8 hours ago, Laviduce said:

According to Rolf Hilmes the aim of the LKE2/DM53 program was to create a KE shell that had the ability to pierce about 1000 mm of RHA using the L55. Rumor has i that it can penetrate over 900 mm RHA. 

That is not what Hilmes wrote. ;) According to him the aim was to defeat armor array providing protection equivalent to 1,000 mm RHA (depending on range). That is a big difference.

There is a graph in a classified document, which shows how the armor protection of future enemy tanks was expected to increase, it would have reached 1,000 mm by 2010. The area covered by the graph is divided into three colors: one is representing reactive armor, one is representing ceramic armor and one is representing steel armor.  The DM53 and DM63 are believed to be segmeneted penetrators, which would fit well to such an "armor array", as Rheinmetall's patents specifically mention that they've improved the segmented penetrator design to work better against ceramic armor.

It is worth mentioning that the company has said on multiple times that they do not want to measure penetration into RHA anymore, because modern MBTs use special armor and RHA does not reflect the protection properties of such armor (IMO implying that Rheinmetall's ammunition does relatively worse against RHA than special armor targets).

22 hours ago, Pardus said:

Infact AFAIK the true penetration performance of the DM13 and DM23 (let alone DM33, 43 and 53/63) is still not known.

Well I got a hold of a Polish ministry of defence research paper that test fired DM33, which came out with 470mm of LOS pen @2km.

16 hours ago, Lord_James said:

Thank you. Heard a lot of good about SH.

csH1ZYm.png

The article from Jane's daily. Same text, but a better illustration of the working principle.

On 6/11/2018 at 4:51 PM, Rohrkrepierer said:

No primary sources, but it is not going to be very much.

1 minute ago, SH_MM said:

No primary sources, but it is not going to be very much.

At this point I'd take anything to be honest. I have a russian book that mentions DM23 in a table (It's the one that's on Google pictures), and a snipet of the Polish ministry of defense report that mentions DM23 too, but that one sadly doesn't list the penetration in a table, only in a graph which is not useable in my case.