Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

The Leopard 2 Thread

Militarysta

1 hour ago, SH_MM said:

csH1ZYm.png

The article from Jane's daily. Same text, but a better illustration of the working principle.

Basically a large push switch connected to a relay that activates one or two shaped charges? 

Seems to me like it. 

1 hour ago, Xoon said:

Basically a large push switch connected to a relay that activates one or two shaped charges? 

Seems to me like it. 

Yep. A very solid evolution of ERA I would say. 

I assume that since different missiles have different stand off and different designs, this will be used in the same manner as ADS by shooting at a wide area with enough shrapnel to probably cover significant portions of the missile's length as well, and create redundancy.

Now all it takes is make one against APFSDS, if this one isnt yet.

Per Hazell, you have to smack long rods from quite some distance before they hit in order to do anything.

Imagine that you had some sort of laser APS that neatly divided a long rod in half mere centimeters before it hit.  This laser would not remove significant amounts of material from the long rod, nor would it impart significant amounts of momentum to it.

This would do nothing.  The armor would just get hit by two rods, one after the other.

Now imagine that you're whacking the long rod with something more substantial.  Great, now it could yaw and hit the armor at a significant angle of attack, which could reduce its sectional density!  Or if it gets broken, the two pieces could separate and hit different portions of the armor, which they would lack the ability to penetrate!

The only thing is that the penetrator is coming in at upwards of mach 4.  There is extremely little time to effect any sort of rotation or seperation of the projectile before it hits unless the APS hits it both very hard and very far away.

1 hour ago, Collimatrix said:

Per Hazell, you have to smack long rods from quite some distance before they hit in order to do anything.

Imagine that you had some sort of laser APS that neatly divided a long rod in half mere centimeters before it hit.  This laser would not remove significant amounts of material from the long rod, nor would it impart significant amounts of momentum to it.

This would do nothing.  The armor would just get hit by two rods, one after the other.

Now imagine that you're whacking the long rod with something more substantial.  Great, now it could yaw and hit the armor at a significant angle of attack, which could reduce its sectional density!  Or if it gets broken, the two pieces could separate and hit different portions of the armor, which they would lack the ability to penetrate!

The only thing is that the penetrator is coming in at upwards of mach 4.  There is extremely little time to effect any sort of rotation or seperation of the projectile before it hits unless the APS hits it both very hard and very far away.

What about smacking rods with counter rods/hyper velocity rockets?

12 hours ago, Pardus said:

Ok, would you be able to share it?

Yes, via PM.

Looking for sources on German DM23 ammunition, and the Swiss license produced version of it called "Pfeil Pat 87 Lsp", particularly the dimensioning and weight.
If anyone has any info, please let me know.

10 hours ago, Rohrkrepierer said:

Yes, via PM.

Looking for sources on German DM23 ammunition, and the Swiss license produced version of it called "Pfeil Pat 87 Lsp", particularly the dimensioning and weight.

Is it this?

TElcgta.jpg

9 hours ago, Xlucine said:

Isn't that just Nozh, but pre-detonated?

I am not sure about that. First of all the countermeasures seem to be a lot smaller (so they either cover a larger cone or can be directed towards the impact point) and not based on a linear shaped charge. The drawings also show a very small area for detecting the impact of the RPG (or the penetration by a shaped charge), which probably is not the case in a real life application.

ibd_smartreactive_725.jpg

Compared to Nozh (or rather Duplet) this armor should be lighter but require some base armor to stop the precursor warhead.

http://defense-update.com/20180612_eurosatory_day2.html

12 hours ago, Rohrkrepierer said:

The DM23's tungsten penetrator has a 32 mm diameter and a total length of 360 mm compared to the 120 mm DM13 with 26 mm diameter and 315 mm effective penetrator length. Given its velocity it really won't penetrate much armor, probably something about 400-440 mm against 60° sloped steel plates at 2 kilometres distance.

54 minutes ago, SH_MM said:

The DM23's tungsten penetrator has a 32 mm diameter and a total length of 360 mm compared to the 120 mm DM13 with 26 mm diameter and 315 mm effective penetrator length. Given its velocity it really won't penetrate much armor, probably something about 400-440 mm against 60° sloped steel plates at 2 kilometres distance.

Do you have the source for that? I have the dimensions myself too, just not the sources for them.

23 hours ago, Mighty_Zuk said:

I think we should have a debate on IBD's new armor. 

I already wrote my opinion on it here, and the TL;DR is that I see a LOT of potential in this both in the short and long term. 

Jane's also report that the SMART PROTech system can be optimized to defeat long rod penetrators, i.e APFSDS,

Are you sure? It seemed to me like they were claiming that this was so mass efficient against shaped charges that more weight could be devoted to KE-optimised armour underneath this

7 hours ago, Pardus said:

Btw, does anyone here possess or know the accurate armour protection of the Leopard 2A4 in these areas?:

GE64xHE.jpg

As far as i know, roughly:

Orange: Should be 20-25 mm thick when the thickness is measure from the normal.

Yellow: Seems to be 30 mm primarily.   the forward section around the driver could be up to 50 mm thick. 

Light Orange:  Heavy Side skirts are up to 110 mm thick. Side hull 30 mm, up to 50 mm potentially in certain areas.

Magenta: Side skirts seem to be between 10-23 mm thick.   Side hull seems mostly to be around 30 mm in this area.

Purple:  Outer side hull sponson seems to be 10 mm thick.  Inner walls seem to be 10 mm thick in the forward section and 60 mm in the mid-section.

Cyan:   Outer side hull sponson also seems to be about 10 mm thick here. Inner side walls will also most likely be not much thicker.

Fuel cells, NBC system, batteries are not included in this.

10mm sponsons?? Are you sure? I mean the fuel cells are right behind it, that would make them vulnerable to be penetrated and ruptured even by regular small arms fire. That can't be right, esp. for a MBT.

Looking at the welding lines in real life the sponson sides look like they were at least 30mm thick.