Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

TIL today.

Thanks to Daniel Watters responding to a Katie A. post at TFB, I learned there was such a thing as "chamber flutes" which are not a musical instrument - in this case - but a design feature used by certain high-falutin' gun manufacturers to assist in the operation of a rifle. This may be old hat for the gun gurus here but I had never really had any experience with the term or - if I had - ignored it.

TIL today.

Thanks to Daniel Watters responding to a Katie A. post at TFB, I learned there was such a thing as "chamber flutes" which are not a musical instrument - in this case - but a design feature used by certain high-falutin' gun manufacturers to assist in the operation of a rifle. This may be old hat for the gun gurus here but I had never really had any experience with the term or - if I had - ignored it.

Chamber flutes are there to equalize gas pressure between the case and the chamber, thereby allowing extraction in designs that extract while the pressure is still high (like delayed blowback guns).

They aren't superfluous on something like an HK33; without them the gun would rip the cases apart during extraction.

Chamber flutes are there to equalize gas pressure between the case and the chamber, thereby allowing extraction in designs that extract while the pressure is still high (like delayed blowback guns).

They aren't superfluous on something like an HK33; without them the gun would rip the cases apart during extraction.

But... but... it also makes the gun THAT much lighter too, right?

Yeah, it has been interesting reading about fluted chambers. It's like the world has very clever people who are able to design neat things.

Or else they're just stealing technology again from Aliens and Nazi Scientists!

AFAIK chamber flutes are a Soviet invention, first seen in the ShKAS aircraft machine gun.  The ShKAS is gas operated, but it fires so goddamn fast that it has many of the same problems as blowback weapons.  The Germans found that they were just the thing to iron out problems they were having with the STG-45.

Apparently this is the earliest known visual representation of Jesus Christ.

Alexorig.jpg

Per the Wikipedia article, the Alexamenos graffito was scrawled by a Roman soldier mocking another grunt for being a Christian and he depicts Jesus being crucified and having a head of a donkey.

Remember kids, what you post on the Internet scrawl on the Emperor Caligula's palace lasts forever!

Apparently this is the earliest known visual representation of Jesus Christ.

Alexorig.jpg

Per the Wikipedia article, the Alexamenos graffito was scrawled by a Roman soldier mocking another grunt for being a Christian and he depicts Jesus being crucified and having a head of a donkey.

Remember kids, what you post on the Internet scrawl on the Emperor Caligula's palace lasts forever!

Furries, furries never changes.

Today I learned this on Facebook after calling the SS a joke and less than a mediocre fighting force. 

"Utter nonsense. Allied and Soviet forces consistently sang their praises within the realms of combat. Some SS units were useless, but the originals was some of the finest fighting formations."

The Booage is strong this this one. 

TIL today.

This article has a pretty comprehensive list.

http://docslide.us/documents/fluted-and-annular-grooved-barrel-chambers-in-firearms.html

TIL that having a grasp on basic physical laws is seriously holding back my credibility with the firearms community.

Bud, having a basic grasp of mechanical functions is (well was) near a detriment in one's credibility.

You bring in things like "engagement area" and "rate of burn" and you are likely to be burned as a witch.