Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

• 1 month later...

TIL this guy existed; https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Timothy_Dexter

He sounds fucking magical.

Aged 50, Dexter wrote a book about himself – A Pickle for the Knowing Ones or Plain Truth in a Homespun Dress – in which he also complained about politicians, the clergy and his wife. The book contained 8,847 words and 33,864 letters, but no punctuation and its capitalization seemed random. At first, he handed his book out for free, but it became popular and was reprinted for sale eight times.[2] In the second edition, Dexter added an extra page which consisted of 13 lines of punctuation marks with the instructions that readers could distribute them as they pleased.[7]

Today I learned that a biologist accidentally discovered the Trapezoidal rule and got cited 75 times.

https://fliptomato.wordpress.com/2007/03/19/medical-researcher-discovers-integration-gets-75-citations/

Quote from the article;

What I find really interesting is that the abstract notes that the Tai Model is significantly more accurate than other `widely applied’ methods. What could these other `widely applied’ methods have possibly been?

I'm also curious about this. Were they just picking the value at the middle of the interval and multiplying it by the length? At least use Simpson's Rule you shitbirds.

Quote from the article;

I'm also curious about this. Were they just picking the value at the middle of the interval and multiplying it by the length? At least use Simpson's Rule you shitbirds.

She used the trapezoid rule, using the average of the two to find the area of the trapezoid and sum it.

Biologists not even once

Today I learned about Josephus Daniels, one of those old-timey Progressive politicians who elevated concern trolling into their religion.

His tenure as Secretary of the Navy was particularly overbearing:

Daniels banned alcohol from United States Navy ships in General Order 99 of 1 June 1914.

In 1917, Secretary Daniels determined that no prostitution would be permitted within a five-mile radius of naval installations.

He wanted a navy, but without whoring and booze?  Hell, at that rate why not just they can't sail their ships?

On March 15, 1919, Daniels issued General Order No. 456. prohibiting all forms of work on the Sabbath. He ordered, "In order to insure a proper observance of the Lord’s Day in the Navy of the United States, and to provide the officers and men with rest and recreation so essential to efficiency, the following order will be carry out: Hereafter all commanding officers and others officially concerned will see to it that aboard ships and on shore stations to which they are attached, no work of any character whatsoever is performed except works of necessity. This order will be construed and embracing target practice, and drills of every character, inspection of ship and crew, clothing inspection, issuing of small stores, and all other ship activities that violate the letter and spirit of this order. No vessel of the Navy shall begin cruise on Sunday except in case of emergency.

WELL THERE YOU GO.

• 3 weeks later...

I already knew much this but there were a few elements that I was unaware of. 

This is the story of how taking your picture with Santa Claus was invented in Seattle at the old Frederick & Nelson Department store. 

http://mynorthwest.com/490791/seattles-department-store-santa-photos-revolutionized-the-holidays/

On February 16, 1568 a sentence of the Holy Office condemned all the inhabitants of the Netherlands to death as heretics. From this universal doom only a few persons, especially named, were acquitted. A proclamation of the king, dated ten days later, confirmed this decree of the Inquisition and ordered it to be carried out into instant execution without regard to age and sex. This is the most concise death warrant that had ever been framed. Three million people—men, women and children—were sentenced to the scaffold.

TIL raccoons were introduced to Japan after an anime that featured a raccoon became popular enough for people to get raccoons as pets.

I also learned an over-abundance of raccoons are a major detriment to the survival of many reptile species.

In conclusion, REMOVE ANIMEA

It's like a modern version of Shakespeare and European Starlings in North America.

It is possible to make a tractor beam at home, with an arduino & a multitude of transducers

http://www.instructables.com/id/Acoustic-Tractor-Beam/

Soon as exams are over I'm doing this

Interesting.  It creates a standing wave and traps things between high pressure zones.

Today I learned about Lincoln Detox.

Lincoln Hospital's "drug detoxification clinic", better known as Lincoln Detox, was founded in the South Bronx by activists from The Black Panther Party, The Republic of New Afrika, the Young Lords, and Students for a Democratic Society. The clinic offered holistic drug rehabilitation, employing acupuncture, Marxist education classes and community service.[1]

In the courses, participants learned about their addiction in a communist context, exploring how their addiction harmed themselves, their community and family. It also argued that drug addiction worked against progressive and revolutionary change.

Lincoln Detox treated half the patients it was supposed to, but cost four times more per patient than comparable New York City clinics.[1] Black nationalists were employed at the clinic as security guards. In 1976, NYC's Health and Hospitals Corporation discovered one million dollars in unsubstantiated payroll.[1] An auditor's visit found that only 50% of staff on duty were actually present and a doctor overdosed and died at the clinic.[1] Much of the clinic's funding was embezzled and spent on cocaine.[1]

What the everliving fuck