Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

• 4 weeks later...

RIP in pieces USAF dreams.

"After converting to the MiG-25P, PVO units stationed near the borders successfully intercepted SR-71As, the weapons system indicating 'Ready for launch'. This input is only given if the SARH warhead carried on the pylon gets a lock-on and if speed, altitude, g-load, triangulation errors and target ranage are all right."

MiG-25 'Foxbat', MiG-31 'Foxhound': Russia's defensive front line

By: Gordon, Yefim., page 23

• 2 weeks later...

While china has done the opposite and still enjoys large scale reforestation - this is encouraging

That was surprising along with the CAR being almost completely tinted blue. 

Is logging that big of a thing in Alberta and the Ozarks or is there another cause? I see more red there than I do in SE Asia. 

Much of the cause of deforestation is the need for firewood to cook with or heat your home. A modernizing society that is transitioning from wood to coal or oil burners will use less wood resources which is what I suspect to be the case for China and possibly Russia. As for the United States, I think we are also transitioning away from the need for natural fibers that you obtain from wood (think newspapers, junk mail) coupled with a somewhat efficient recycling program which helps make up the difference. Finally, we've outsourced much of our "polluting" industries to other countries. In the case of logging, this means Canada which has a more mercenary approach towards resource extraction when it comes to logging (mining or drilling). Out here in the Great Pacific Northwest, the logging industry is mostly extinct and what logging is done is almost entirely done by guys operating less labor intensive big machines. Replanting and scientific advancement in terms of cloning fast growing trees is very aggressive. And the only areas of real deforestation occurs in rural areas that are being transformed into suburbs. Weyerhaeuser out in my neck of the woods (Smile-tongue.gif) is almost more of a real estate development company than logging. 

Much of the cause of deforestation is the need for firewood to cook with or heat your home. A modernizing society that is transitioning from wood to coal or oil burners will use less wood resources which is what I suspect to be the case for China and possibly Russia. As for the United States, I think we are also transitioning away from the need for natural fibers that you obtain from wood (think newspapers, junk mail) coupled with a somewhat efficient recycling program which helps make up the difference. Finally, we've outsourced much of our "polluting" industries to other countries. In the case of logging, this means Canada which has a more mercenary approach towards resource extraction when it comes to logging (mining or drilling). Out here in the Great Pacific Northwest, the logging industry is mostly extinct and what logging is done is almost entirely done by guys operating less labor intensive big machines. Replanting and scientific advancement in terms of cloning fast growing trees is very aggressive. And the only areas of real deforestation occurs in rural areas that are being transformed into suburbs. Weyerhaeuser out in my neck of the woods (Smile-tongue.gif) is almost more of a real estate development company than logging. 

Well, thats good to hear, since 3-5% more Californians are fleeing to WA state this year!

California is fucked anyway, the eventuality of flooding from the ocean will turn the cities into swampland and the interior into a lake, obliterating basically why Cali is important. It's on a fault line as well, so at some point nature is going to want to gobble the coastline up anyway, I'm not sure the expense of a massive levee to prevent the ocean from flooding in is worth it.

Hotish things on crisps are good, worchestershire sauce flavoured crisps are another example.

I wonder how much of the reforestation is in the sealed zone in Ukraine/Russia?

There is a blue dot north of kiev, but most of the blue in russia is to the east of that

M2 Browning doesn't count?

Also we have another 30 years to go. Who knows what excitement might occur after Russia's economy fully collapses.

nuclear war is only exciting in works of fiction 

California is fucked anyway, the eventuality of flooding from the ocean will turn the cities into swampland and the interior into a lake, obliterating basically why Cali is important. It's on a fault line as well, so at some point nature is going to want to gobble the coastline up anyway, I'm not sure the expense of a massive levee to prevent the ocean from flooding in is worth it.

How will the Golden Gate Bridge be destroyed? There are some many options to choice from in the inevitable fall of California.

There is a blue dot north of kiev, but most of the blue in russia is to the east of that

The Exclusion Zone is not as large as some people think and large portions of it still are populated to some extent. 

The Exclusion Zone is not as large as some people think and large portions of it still are populated to some extent. 

Further, the radioactivity in the area is hyped to hell from what I understand. The real danger is that is a treasure trove and a wasteland, less so the radiation.