Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

I was just kidding, I like all areas of science. But Rutherford was such a colourful character, and ironically his Nobel was in chemistry.

I'm not getting at you, dude.

It's well known that a large number of physicists actually believe that the rest of us are just playing around. Occasionally, one will deign to roll into our field to try and sort out our problems for us. It ends about as well as you'd expect.

I'm not getting at you, dude.

It's well known that a large number of physicists actually believe that the rest of us are just playing around. Occasionally, one will deign to roll into our field to try and sort out our problems for us. It ends about as well as you'd expect.

Well, I agree with you, there are plenty of physicists who can be pretty dismissive about other areas of science

Well, I agree with you, there are plenty of physicists who can be pretty dismissive about other areas of science

I think part of it is 'smartest man in the room' syndrome. Physicists really do have to be insanely smart and hard-working to get where they are. But it is also the very specific form of smart which predisposes you to think of other people as idiots.

So these dudes bump into their fellow scientists (who often have to be stubborn and humble rather than particularly brilliant) and pretty much immediately think that they're children dicking around with toys rather than folk who spent a decade learning an enormous amount about a tiny field between bouts of having experiments puncture their hopes and dreams. From there, it is all to easy to decide that all the field needs is a clearing out of the dead wood, and the intervention of someone who can uncover and understand the underlying mathematical concepts that must underpin the whole thing.

Notably, theoretical physicists are more prone to this sort of thing then their experimental counterparts.

I think part of it is 'smartest man in the room' syndrome. Physicists really do have to be insanely smart and hard-working to get where they are. But it is also the very specific form of smart which predisposes you to think of other people as idiots.

Confirmed for true. I have an uncle who's a theoretical physicist, who just couldn't understand why gun designers hadn't come up with a computer-controlled multi-barrel gun that would "shoot all the bad guys at once".

Actually post war analysis showed that the Japanese defense of Kyushu was very well prepared with most troops inland like at Okinawa.

actually i would argue that Iwo Jima is a much, much better example of what the Japs can do defensive wise. Okinawa is fine but halfway through they got a bad case of Banzai syndrome. Plus not every part of mainland Japan is a volcanic island. Its abit harder to defend, since you actually have alot more targets that can be bombed and bombarded. Not to mention the civilan population.

The Japanese know first hand from the Fall of Singapore what a bunch of starving civilians and soldiers can do to defensive posture in a hurry. 

Not to mention with the Soviets in the North, history shows that when a nation has to sides to chose to surrender from rather than one, they start bleeching flags alittle bit quicker

I'm becoming increasingly convinced that process engineers for transistor companies are wizards masquerading as engineers. You know something's going to be fun when your light source involves hitting tin droplets with a CO2 laser to create ionized gas plasma for an elliptical mirror coated with several layers of Mo and Si in a vacuum.

And it's going to be what makes something in your pocket two transistor process nodes from now.

http://anandtech.com/show/10097/euv-lithography-makes-good-progress-still-not-ready-for-prime-time