Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

Today I learned that there are only two nations whose self-standing short name begins with the word "the".   The first is the Bahamas, which makes sense since it's plural.  Example, "the wife and I are going to the Bahamas."  The other is the Gambia.  Example, "I have been kidnapped and am being held for ransom in the Gambia."

Today I learned that there are only two nations whose self-standing short name begins with the word "the".   The first is the Bahamas, which makes sense since it's plural.  Example, "the wife and I are going to the Bahamas."  The other is the Gambia.  Example, "I have been kidnapped and am being held for ransom in the Gambia."

the Netherlands

I learned that Yorktown seems to basically just have been the US' best fleet carrier up till Midway, it's not just a combat experience from Coral Sea thing like Shattered Sword claims. They were the ones who came up with the stopgap solution to US fleet carriers not having nearly enough fighters in the early days of taking the scout SBDs on, gassing them up and adding them to the CAP to take on torpedo bombers and even at Coral Sea were bundling up their air wing into coordinated strikes (scout bombers go up first and circle, torp bombers take off and go straight to the target, then fighters go up a bit later, and they bundle up with their bombers en route, with the TBDs using a handheld light to show the dive bombers up above where they are).

So it wasn't just Midway, it seems that Yorktown's officers had the best grasp of things at the start of the war.

Also man was there a fighter shortage, it makes my HoI 4 shortage of modern types feel a lot less depressing.

(Source is The First Team).

Anti social cave fish react similarly to patients suffering from schizophrenia and autism. Or something.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/antisocial-cave-fish-may-hold-clues-schizophrenia-autism

The article does not state whether these blind, anti-social autistic cave fish have accounts for World of Tanks and post regularly on the NA Forums...

Anti social cave fish react similarly to patients suffering from schizophrenia and autism. Or something.

http://www.sciencemag.org/news/2016/06/antisocial-cave-fish-may-hold-clues-schizophrenia-autism

The article does not state whether these blind, anti-social autistic cave fish have accounts for World of Tanks and post regularly on the NA Forums...

That's an easy test. If they can reliably hit a large red box labeled BATTLE but not things under red markers, we found out who's playing the game.

TIL

The FN-AR will become inaccurate at 1000 meter competitions after just 18,000 rounds. 

The FBI doesn't care if their agents carry 1935 french pistols. 

The 7.62 Tok's parent case was a rifle catridge.

400 pound men know what's best when it comes to fighting knives. 

Colli-man does not appreciate the superiority of the Remington 700

Sturgeon is well on his way to becoming the strongest man on earth. 

When testing Mosin Nagants in WWII, the Russians shot them at 170 yards at 10 inch gongs. 

Most berdan primed ammunition is made with "corrosion" 

I'm still too poor to afford jerky. 

And that it's incredibly difficult to get rid of stacks of Taurus handguns. 

Thank you, Gun Shows.