Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

I Learned Something Today

LostCosmonaut

If the whole world used the 176 liters per person(US standard) then the yearly usage would be about 1/20 of the Amazon's yearly discharge. (I forgot the exact figure and the percent is likely a hell of a lot smaller but not smaller than 1/100)

How effective are nuclear plants as desalination plants?

So, the amazon has a flow of 2.09E5m3s-1 [1]. Global water usage, with 176 litres per person, will hit 1.23E12L assuming 7bn people, so that's 5.89E3 seconds worth - about 1.6 hours, if we could capture the entire flow.

References:

[1] Wikipedia, ""Amazon River"," [Online]. Available: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Amazon_River. [Accessed 5th February 2015].

• 2 weeks later...

I learned something today. 

But first the back story. My wife is something of a Doctor Who fan. I've seen random episodes of the show myself off and on for years but had never really taken the time or the effort to watch them at any length. That's now changed and I've been given a crash course of Doctor Who episodes. Thus far, I am nearly through Season 2 of the roboot and just finished the infamous "ELO episode" starring the actor Marc Warren. Now I remembered seeing his face before in some movie or television series but I couldn't place my finger on it but a little help from IMDB told me that he played Private Albert Blithe in the Carentan episode of Band of Brothers. Being curious, I looked up the real Albert Blithe and...

Stephen Ambrose was yet again a shoddy historian because the real Albert Blithe did not die in 1948 after complications of being shot in the neck by a German sniper as portrayed in the HBO series and the book. No, it turned out he lived, reenlisted in the Army and attained the rank of Master Sergeant before dying in 1967. Not surprising, Ambrose was simply relying on the vague memories of old men "who coulda swore" that Blithe died, this is despite only being wounded in the shoulder and attending a 101st Division reunion and making 600 subsequent parachute jumps while serving 20 additional years in the Army.

http://www.arlingtoncemetery.net/albert-blithe.htm

Posted Today, 10:38 PM

Donward, on 22 Feb 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:snapback.png

[Media property] isn't that bad. It's a little [negative quality] at times but there are some good episodes. It's just not the life altering series that its fans make it out to be.

Your post now describes a nontrivial portion of modern media.

To be honest, I'm far more critical of most media property - particularly television series - than that.

Except The Walking Dead. It's shit. Granted, it went from being mid-level shit to irredeemable bison excrement, but it was still shit from Day 1.

Eh. The first couple episodes were OK with the horse and the tank thing and I was able to talk myself into watching the entire first season despite the love triangle bullshit and the annoying kid. Kicking ass with a .357 revolver and any show that has Norman Reedus in it goes a long way with me. But I stopped watching when The Farm happened and have never looked back. Which is a shame because I liked the zombie genre before it got ruined by all the hipster morons who think it's cool to dress like zombies and the survivalists/preppers.

The point is NOT to be the zombies, hipsters! And survivalists/preppers. Way to use that OPSEC about preparing for the "Zombie Apocalypse". Now everyone is using the term. Why don't you post some How To Youtube videos about how to fool the guv'mint by building ARs from 80 percent lowers while you're at it since you love shooting yourselves in the foot.

Shit like this is why we can't have nice things.

Posted Today, 10:38 PM

Donward, on 22 Feb 2015 - 10:36 PM, said:snapback.png

To be honest, I'm far more critical of most media property - particularly television series - than that.

Eh. The first couple episodes were OK with the horse and the tank thing and I was able to talk myself into watching the entire first season despite the love triangle bullshit and the annoying kid. Kicking ass with a .357 revolver and any show that has Norman Reedus in it goes a long way with me. But I stopped watching when The Farm happened and have never looked back. Which is a shame because I liked the zombie genre before it got ruined by all the hipster morons who think it's cool to dress like zombies and the survivalists/preppers.

The point is NOT to be the zombies, hipsters! And survivalists/preppers. Way to use that OPSEC about preparing for the "Zombie Apocalypse". Now everyone is using the term. Why don't you post some How To Youtube videos about how to fool the guv'mint by building ARs from 80 percent lowers while you're at it since you love shooting yourselves in the foot.

Shit like this is why we can't have nice things.

I think for a lot of the preppers 'zombie' is just code for 'people we don't like' anyway.

Have an obligatory war nerd post on why preppers would get eaten first in any case.

Out of context screenshot with a weird camera angle? The actor was holding the gun funny while delivering lines.

Also I've now read five or six of these Gary Blecher articles and he seems to be one of those full of shit guys who bitches about everything.

He's actually boring human being John Dolan pretending to be full of shit and bitching.

Doesn't mean that he isn't right on occasion, but take with a large grain of salt and so on.

Out of context screenshot with a weird camera angle? The actor was holding the gun funny while delivering lines.

A. He holds the gun like that constantly

B. He's an actor and it's painfully obvious he doesn't know how to handle guns

C. There's that one hilarious scene in the beginning of the first episode where he tells a bunch of cops armed with Glocks and revolvers to "make sure your safeties are off".

• 4 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...