Please support this forum by joining the SH Patreon ×
Sturgeon's House

Terror Attacks and Active Shooter Events Thread

Donward

On 27.12.2017 at 8:56 PM, Donward said:

18 injured, no dead. This supermarket is located on the road to my job, although never payed attention to this shop.

And apperently ISIS claimed responsibility.

54 minutes ago, LoooSeR said:

18 injured, no dead. This supermarket is located on the road to my job, although never payed attention to this shop.

And apperently ISIS claimed responsibility.

I'm noticing a lot of stuff happening in St. Petersburg. Is it just the terrorists wanting to make a splash in a big name city, is there a population of the usual suspects there, or is it the proximity to Europe proper? 

40 minutes ago, Donward said:

I'm noticing a lot of stuff happening in St. Petersburg. Is it just the terrorists wanting to make a splash in a big name city, is there a population of the usual suspects there, or is it the proximity to Europe proper? 

I guess 2 major things are reason (outside of being major Russian city)

- huge population of immigrants from majority muslim countries like Uzbekistan that are not spread amongst locals creates environment to infiltrate, find and recruit helpers/sympathizers. This makes terrorist attacks easier to execute. 

- Moscow is harder target (i guess)

• 3 weeks later...

There might be criminal charges related to the Las Vegas shooting filed within the next 60 days. So says a slew of media organizations that have filed suit in court to have hundreds of documents, search warrants, and evidence held by law enforcement to be released to the public. 

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/criminal-charges-possible-in-las-vegas-shooting-lawyers-say/

These documents can't be released because there is the possibility that other individuals may be indicted. 

The Las Vegas Review Journal also writes that the suspect "worked hard to cover his tracks" and that he was prescribed Valium.

https://www.reviewjournal.com/crime/shootings/gunman-in-las-vegas-shooting-worked-hard-to-cover-tracks/.

Two unconfirmed screenshots have emerged on social media that purportedly originate from a video showing the October 4, 2017 ambush in Niger in which four US service members were killed.

Sceenshots were made from a video, recorded by one of US SF soldiers before being killed. Footage (as i heard) was used by ISIS in their PR video.

vzGKgU0.jpg

hDKVCE2.jpg

16 Daesh Terrorists Arrested in Western Iran: IRGC Commander

In the operation, the IRGC forces managed to lay siege to the hideout of the militants and arrested 16 members of the terror cell, the commander said.  

A number of the terrorists were killed in the clash, Brigadier General Pakpour said, adding that two militants are still at large but the area is surrounded by the IRGC forces.

The commander went on to say three IRGC forces were martyred in the operation.

51386_477

So the FBI has charged a fella who sold ammo to the Las Vegas shooter, stating that he illegally manufactured "armor piercing" bullets.

https://www.cnn.com/2018/02/02/us/douglas-haig-las-vegas-massacre/index.html

A criminal complaint says two unfired .308-caliber rounds found in gunman Stephen Paddock's room had Douglas Haig's fingerprints on them and tool marks from Haig's workshop. The bullets in the cartridges were classified as armor-piercing, the complaint says.

Haig did not have a license to manufacture armor-piercing ammunition, documents say.

I guess he also sold 720 rounds of tracer ammo.

We don't have all the facts yet, but this looks like the guy is being railroaded. Unless the Feds have something more substantial that they aren't divulging yet. 

He's being railroaded because they need any conviction in this case so they don't look like they are incompetent or hiding anything. The legal mechanism that they are using to go after him is that he is engaging in commerce without the proper licensing. It is perfectly legal to own/possesses "armor piercing" rifle ammunition (but not pistol ammo). 

Here is the criminal complaint from the court on Haig.

CCSN

Note that Haig only sold M62 and M193 tracers in bulk, to Paddock.

Page 5 mentions how previous small purchases were of Incendiary  (We will assume 7,62X51 based on other purchases, and samples provided to feds indicating LC manufacture).

Page 6 of that document describes how Paddock bought 600 rounds of M62, and 120 rounds of M196 tracer.

Then in section 7, of page 6, it gets fucky.

The Feds are classifying M62 as "armor piercing" by "metallurgical classification". (Some U.S. tracer muntions have a gilding metal clad steel jacket, and the U.S. 7,62 incendiary has a mild steel sleeve ).

Page 7,section 8, they really grasp at straws, and misconstrue the construction of the projectile, claiming it has "an armor piercing element". (No U.S. tracer or Incendiary in 7,62mm has such per TM-9-1305-200. There was a .30 cal API, but it uses a much heavier projectile, and is very very rare to find in any appreciable volume as production stopped mid WW2).

Now Haig is a dipshit for reloading AP for sale without the proper SOT, but the feds are obviously trying to make a tempest in a teapot by apparently all but fabricating evidence that he sold "AP-I " to Paddock.

14 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

Buuuuuuullllshit.

For added fun, read their description of the "AP-I", where it "has a pellet in the tip". 

U.S. 7,62NATO has an incendiary filler that runs the length of the projectile, with a concentric mild steel sleeve, and a gilding metal jacket. 

The old .30 cal AP-I did have a tip fill , but as I already mentioned, these projectiles and ammo are absurdly rare. (I've only seen examples firsthand at Woodin labs, and have never seen it offered for sale).

The chances of someone hand-rolling their own AP-I projectile (without considerable risk of "fire, and lots of it" is slim to none)

8 minutes ago, Sturgeon said:

I have a decent amount of the old .30 API, actually. Both M14 and M14A1. I probably got at least one if them from the old Wooden collection, in fact.

7.62 NATO never got a proper API bullet, and M62 isn't really the same thing. It's a tracer, big whoop.

Oh, I'm sure collectors have some, but in all the SAR shows I've done, I never saw it in volume. 

If their current tech people are anything like the ones I've met in the past, they likely think (and will say) anything with any amount of steel in the projo is "Armor Piercing". 

16 minutes ago, Ramlaen said:

If I am reading this correctly, they are claiming that Haig made a 7.62 Raufoss round.

They can claim that, but chances are it's not true. 

Dicking about with sticking pellets of PETN/RDX and incendiary compound in a .30 cal jacket, then stuffing a steel cup carrying zinconium dust and an AP core is way beyond anything this guy could have done.

It's difficult enough to do with .50" projectiles, let alone what the feds are claiming this guy did.  

At best, he's been stuffing surplus projos on reloaded cases. Maybe dinking with making his own AP projos, but that's about it.